Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Can I laminate my license? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=61941)

Heron 06-15-2010 11:40 AM

Can I laminate my license?

Long story short I went for a swim with my fly rod and vest on and my little Ziplock bag didn't do its job. I heard somewhere your license is void if you laminate it. True? The license dried out and the ink did not run. Thankfully I only had 2 boxes of flies to dry out and reorganize.

nicemustang 06-15-2010 11:50 AM

I do every year, i've had no issues.

aulrich 06-15-2010 11:51 AM

It's not that it will void it, the lamination process will turn it black since it is a thermal paper.I have been thinking about "laminating" mine with clear packing tape. but for the most part I have given up I just try to fold it so that the licence number info is on the outside and readable even after a few washings.

I once met a person on the IBM team that designed the system, I told them the printout idea was the dumbest idea since the NDP.

TUFFBUFF 06-15-2010 11:52 AM

Just reprint it - albertarelm.com

I laminated mine this spring ( don't know if "legal" ) and first trip out dropped in the lake, didn't float to good.
mine turned out fine, no running or dark stuff

nicemustang 06-15-2010 11:58 AM

I guess i should note, I get mine online and laminate it every year on the regular paper.

luckyme 06-15-2010 12:07 PM

but it does said in the license it self "DO NOT LAMINATE" and doesn't specify by laminate it will void it. i guess if you get check and they don't say anything i assume that's ok.:wave:

nicemustang 06-15-2010 12:09 PM

The printed one from the web does not say, do not laminate.

cdock 06-15-2010 12:26 PM

Good question. I know the thermal paper ones turn black, they also turn black if you put them in an old film container. Too much heat. I think that's why you weren't supposed to laminate. But the ones you print don't do that. I think the note not to laminate is a carry over, it doesn't change because the system doesn't know what paper is being used. I don't know but I guess the only way to know for sure is make a phone call to the CO. If anyone knows for sure please post. I would love to laminate mine instead of print off a few dozen each year.

mcampb 06-15-2010 12:45 PM

Not entirely sure about the lamination, but unfortunately you can only re-print your licsence if you originally obtained it online. I made the mistake of getting mine from Canadian Tire this year, needed a reprint but for some odd reason you can't do that online... back to C-tire....

cdock 06-15-2010 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcampb (Post 610228)
Not entirely sure about the lamination, but unfortunately you can only re-print your licsence if you originally obtained it online. I made the mistake of getting mine from Canadian Tire this year, needed a reprint but for some odd reason you can't do that online... back to C-tire....

That I did not know. Kind of silly.

star77 06-15-2010 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heron (Post 610170)
Long story short I went for a swim with my fly rod and vest on and my little Ziplock bag didn't do its job. I heard somewhere your license is void if you laminate it. True? The license dried out and the ink did not run. Thankfully I only had 2 boxes of flies to dry out and reorganize.

Yes u heard it will be void if u liminate ur fish ing licence it also says on licence no mater where u buy online or store its confirmed i would say take it out if you have done so or u might end up some fine?

Heron 06-15-2010 02:51 PM

Thanks all. I guess I'll print one online and laminate it.

ghostguy6 06-15-2010 03:53 PM

You can not laminate your licence if it is printed on thermal paper. You can get some clear shelf paper. And cover your licence with that.
If you print your licence online then you can laminate it.

FishBrain 06-15-2010 04:28 PM

Just take your licence and make a copy of it. Then laminate the copy, and keep the thermal one at home for back up

barbless 06-18-2010 06:36 PM

Maybe just me but I think with the money we pay for this (NO) "WIN" card our fishing and hunting licence info should be stored on a bar code and scanned by F&W. This would tell officials that we have bought our licences. Still have to pay for licence and info could be updated at time of purchase. Card is plastic and no need to laminate. I put mine in two baggies.

75ft Arborist 06-18-2010 08:16 PM

I do mine online and print off about six. Keep one in my wallet, glove box, fishing vest, and a few in every tackle box. I'm infamous for washing and drying mine in the laundry, then its ruined. If you always buy online then reprints are free:)

Spidey 06-19-2010 08:50 PM

I have a "cold laminate" machine at work and it works great. It's the hand crank style, not the thermal. I've been doing this for years. Got checked by a CO a couple years ago and she commended me for taking the steps to protect my license.

seahawkfisher 06-19-2010 11:15 PM

i have been wrapping mine in clear packaging tape for about 10 years now. works great :)
cheers

Rockymtnx 06-19-2010 11:42 PM

I have printed mine off the past 2 or 3 years. Each time I have laminated it without any CO's giving me a hard time. I like having it laminated, at least it lasts the whole year.

crosman177 06-24-2010 02:26 PM

Trim mine short keep in ziploc. its works.

Okotokian 06-24-2010 04:12 PM

There is no real need to go to the trouble of lamination. If you bought it from a retailer you can't laminate it because of the paper. If you bought it online you could laminate, but why? If it gets destroyed just print yourself another. Heck, I print off multiple copies. One I keep in my fly vest. Another I keep in my tackle box. Another I keep in my glove box. You get the idea.

troller 06-24-2010 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockymtnx (Post 613456)
I have printed mine off the past 2 or 3 years. Each time I have laminated it without any CO's giving me a hard time. I like having it laminated, at least it lasts the whole year.

I have done this also. I have a neck(lace) kind of thing (3/4" wide nylon) with a key chain ring on the end. I drilled a little hole in my WIN card, opposite of the swipe part LOL. then I laminate my license, drill a small hole and attach them both. That way if I get wading downstream away from my stuff I still have it on me. Plus it doesn't get wet :)

Joystick 06-29-2010 11:16 PM

I just keep mine in a waterproof matchbox canister...if you drop it in the water..it also floats..the plastic orange ones make it real easy to find too..

Rumtan 06-30-2010 08:57 AM

I laminated my licence last year but it didnt turn black as some suggested, maybe it depends on the type of laminater you use? I bought my licence at Canadian Tire.