Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Turkey Winterkill (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=339639)

GOBBLER FANATIC 02-19-2018 01:39 PM

Turkey Winterkill

Hello AOF Members,

Does anyone have any information on potential/actual winterkill of turkeys in Alberta this winter? Last year was tough on the birds and I suspect this year is possibly even worse given the many heavy dumps of snow and extended cold temperatures we have experienced this winter.
Thanks you - GOBBLER FANATIC

Gray Wolf 02-19-2018 05:23 PM

This winter will be Very Hard on both the turkeys, and the pheasants.
I expect both populations to drop by quite a bit.

GOBBLER FANATIC 03-24-2018 06:24 PM

Turkey Winterkill

Hello AOF Members,

Does anyone have any information on potential/actual winterkill of turkeys in Alberta this winter? Last year was tough on the birds and I suspect this year is possibly even worse given the many heavy dumps of snow and extended cold temperatures we have experienced this winter and delayed spring and snowmelt.

I have heard of 2 sightings of flocks of around a dozen birds or so but they were near farms/ranches that are known to feed the birds through the winter.

Any information would be sincerely appreciated!

Thank you - GOBBLER FANATIC

CNP 03-24-2018 06:46 PM

I live in a WMU where turkeys are present. The potential for overwinter kill is high for two reasons: snowfall and predation. Lots of snow in the bush this year and plenty of cougars in the area. In a typical winter I observe turkeys scratching in my backyard frequently. No turkeys observed this winter because there was 2 - 3 ft of snow cover. Cougar photo on my backyard trail cam earlier in the winter when there was less snow and during last years deer season I cut numerous cougar tracks. It was just a few days ago that I saw my first turkey since December. Saw two today, not far from home. I should be seeing flocks...

I live in a rural setting but there are other homes in close proximity.......saying this to avoid any confusion that I have land to hunt turkeys on. I don't :)

Last spring...https://i.imgur.com/qY6vzhr.jpg

Trooper23 03-24-2018 07:34 PM

I’ve never seen so many turkeys as this year (east Kootenay just west of Crowsnest). Flocks of 15-30 are common “everyday”.

They are in my yard or nearby constantly. In response, the B.C. government has increased the season time and the limit!

This is the spring you want to be here to get them guys, just saying.

NayNay 03-25-2018 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trooper23 (Post 3758287)
I’ve never seen so many turkeys as this year (east Kootenay just west of Crowsnest). Flocks of 15-30 are common “everyday”.

They are in my yard or nearby constantly. In response, the B.C. government has increased the season time and the limit!

This is the spring you want to be here to get them guys, just saying.

I look at the regs and it still says 1 turkey in the spring and 1 in the fall? Isn't this the norm?

Colin_r6 03-25-2018 10:37 AM

As far as I can tell.. the seasons haven't changed in BC Region 4.

1 Turkey in Spring and 1 in Fall.
Rimfire, Bow and Shotgun allowed in spring.
Bow and Shotgun only in fall.

Selkirk 03-25-2018 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin_r6 (Post 3758537)

As far as I can tell.. the seasons haven't changed in BC Region 4.

1 Turkey in Spring and 1 in Fall.
Rimfire, Bow and Shotgun allowed in spring.
Bow and Shotgun only in fall.

There are wild turkeys all over the area where I live (West Kootenays) ... thousands of them! :47b20s0:

A group of ~9 hens (+ an unknown number of toms) have been living on my acreage and the neighbour's this winter. During the day they strut around like they own the place, and at night they roost in my trees. They show little to no fear of humans, so I'm guessing one (or more) of my neighbours is feeding them. Sometimes they'll come so close, you can almost reach out and touch them.

For birds I usually use a shotgun, but I'll have to check the BC regs, to see if baseball bats are allowed. :D

Selkirk

Trooper23 03-25-2018 06:30 PM

Had a flock of about 20 in my driveway this morning. One huge Tom. East Kootenay.

RandyBoBandy 03-25-2018 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selkirk (Post 3758714)

There are wild turkeys all over the area where I live (West Kootenays) ... thousands of them! :47b20s0:

A group of ~9 hens (+ an unknown number of toms) have been living on my acreage and the neighbour's this winter. During the day they strut around like they own the place, and at night they roost in my trees. They show little to no fear of humans, so I'm guessing one (or more) of my neighbours is feeding them. Sometimes they'll come so close, you can almost reach out and touch them.

For birds I usually use a shotgun, but I'll have to check the BC regs, to see if baseball bats are allowed. :D

Selkirk

OUTSTANDING colours on these birds :)

Selkirk 03-26-2018 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy (Post 3758842)

OUTSTANDING colours on these birds :)

But unlike the toms, turkey hens are not as colourful ...

http://ak1.picdn.net/shutterstock/vi...31/thumb/1.jpg

Selkirk