Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fly-Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Fly fishing leader for walleye <20 inch (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=420808)

Sundancefisher 03-15-2023 09:34 PM

Fly fishing leader for walleye <20 inch

I’ve just been tying on a small store bought 5 inch wire leader with a swivel on one end and a clip on the other.

I was thinking of using wirebite or similar and then I thought why not just use a sort piece of 15 lb braid with a small snap swivel for easy hook changes.

This would be for smaller walleye but also hammer handle pike.

Thoughts anyone?

catnthehat 03-15-2023 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundancefisher (Post 4618928)
I’ve just been tying on a small store bought 5 inch wire leader with a swivel on one end and a clip on the other.

I was thinking of using wirebite or similar and then I thought why not just use a sort piece of 15 lb braid with a small snap swivel for easy hook changes.

Thoughts anyone?

For walleye, I just use 8 # flourocarbon or similar, works great .
I've landed 30" walleye with it.
If you car catching pike, 10# Mason will work as well.
I used a pike leader at one time, but found I didn't really need it.
For the bigger pike I use a heavier Mason Mono leader , but for average sized Jacks ,10# is fine I have found.

Cat

stob 03-15-2023 10:27 PM

x2 to all the above...i have caught a ton of pike up to 15lbs on 10#plus tippet

pixe1334 03-31-2023 08:12 AM

I never use any wire leader for walleye. I don't know if it's my luck, but they never seem to bite through the mono.

If I fly fish for pikes, I just buy those cheap 6" metal leaders that people generally get for spin fishing. Truth be told, after a few pikes the wire leader is pretty rounded but still works fine enough for me.

oilngas 03-31-2023 10:28 AM

As others have said 8# Flouro leader is fine for jigging, slip bobber etc. I use a little heavier for bouncing with a spinner rig. Also landed larger Wally and Pike with same terminal tackle, just have to change after a vigorous pike or Wally.

pikergolf 04-01-2023 05:31 PM

Quote:

Thoughts anyone?

Depends on the size of your fly. I would use straight floro, about 4ft, the heavier the fly the heavier the line. Trout size wooly buggers won't require much more than 6# to turn the fly over, large flies might require up to 20# line to turn the fly over. Casting heavy flies with a light leader is a good way to end up with a fly embedded in your nogin.

catnthehat 04-01-2023 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixe1334 (Post 4623211)
I never use any wire leader for walleye. I don't know if it's my luck, but they never seem to bite through the mono.

If I fly fish for pikes, I just buy those cheap 6" metal leaders that people generally get for spin fishing. Truth be told, after a few pikes the wire leader is pretty rounded but still works fine enough for me.

Walleye have a peg like tooth so they don't break leaders nearly as often as the daw tooth type like pike do
Cat

catnthehat 04-01-2023 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pikergolf (Post 4623790)
Casting heavy flies with a light leader is a good way to end up with a fly embedded in your nogin.

Glasses and hats mandatory for the " chuck'n'duck" crew, for sure!:budo:
Cat

WayneChristie 04-15-2023 11:19 AM

Im a hillbilly fly chucker. when I fish for walleye with the chance of a pike as well I just use a 9 or 10 foot length of 20 pound fluorocarbon. cut off and retie new flies as needed. works for me :bad_boys_20:

chickensashimi 04-27-2023 12:46 PM

Quote:

Thoughts anyone?

I predominantly fly fish for walleye, I make my own leaders, I tried pretty much everything from heavy fluoro to titanium, the braided stainless, I find kinks, though the rio stuff is pretty aside from the kinking, the heavy fluoro 25lbs, is like Russian roulette, and usually it’s some dink hammer handle that bites me off, usually always a good fly I’ve tied, so rarely do I use fluoro, the titanium knot to kinky I find to be the best, rarely kinks, somehow it’s somewhat elastic , but is hard to tie knots with, opposed to how supple the fluoro and braided wire are to tie, I use
Mustard rolling diamond eye swivels on either end size 14, one end with the j snap, I think that titanium stuff goes down to 10 or 12 lbs, that stuff is fire, very thin.