Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Trapping Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Turning pelts (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=417415)

Big Grey Wolf 11-19-2022 10:11 AM

Turning pelts

Guys, any good advice on hard to turn pelts. I usually do not have a problem but let 2 fisher dry over night and were like leather, spent almost hour turning them on stretcher.

tomcat 11-19-2022 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf (Post 4579999)
Guys, any good advice on hard to turn pelts. I usually do not have a problem but let 2 fisher dry over night and were like leather, spent almost hour turning them on stretcher.

When the pelt gets to dry just re-hydrate with a damp towel 10-15minutes and you should have little problem turning, I have done it 100's of time and have never torn a pelt.

Don't worry about putting the re-hydrated pelt back on the board fur out. The re-hydrated skin dries very well and quickly, unlike a green skin against wood.

Big Grey Wolf 11-20-2022 11:16 AM

Thanks Tom Cat, I have used fine spray water bottle to rehydrate, works good for marten, but Fisher still like rawhide even after water spray to turn.

fatboyz 11-20-2022 06:20 PM

How long do you guys usually leave Marten before turning?

Camdec 11-20-2022 10:47 PM

I’ve wrapped in a warm damp towel for 15 minutes or so.

tomcat 11-21-2022 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatboyz (Post 4580442)
How long do you guys usually leave Marten before turning?

When the bodies of fur out species are dry, usually within 24 hours, turn them fur out even if the head area lips and ear butts may be damp. They will generally dry with little if any serious warping as long as you have good air circulation and reasonable drying conditions of low humidity and temperature.
Leave fur out pelts on the board 3-4 days after turning pelt fur out. Taking a hide off the board too soon is worse than leaving it on too long. It will wrinkle and you get excessive shrinkage, thus losing money on size. Time to turn a fur out pelt depends upon the humidity, temperature and air circulation in your shop. Generally, when the nose and lips are dry it's safe to remove the pelt from the board.

Big Grey Wolf 11-21-2022 10:29 AM

TomCat, I like your suggestion of 3-4 days on fur out. in other words do most of drying after turned.

Big Grey Wolf 11-30-2022 12:35 PM

Fatboy, I tend to turn marten after only 2-3 hours in very warm skinning shed with fan. I find they can rip quite easy when left to long. Like Tom cat said do most drying fur out for majority of fur handling process. Fisher is a different story.

Marty S 12-01-2022 01:17 AM

I sold a guy 50 bought coyotes from the men in black, sold to another guy, got dressed, 6 slipped horribly….

Do it right or everybody lose

Meanwhile sellers caught in lie, sez all snared… nope… all shot, no more buy from them, they hafta auction now. A very, very bad man!

Just like Jerry!!!