Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fly-Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Who likes boobys? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=384679)

trigger7mm 07-14-2020 09:18 PM

Who likes boobys?

All pun aside, has anybody fished much with any of the booby patterns. Willing to share experiences? Thanks.

roper1 07-14-2020 09:21 PM

23,418 visits & I'm the first guy to reply:)

morgan 07-15-2020 12:57 AM

They work very well,
I go with a Type 6 sinking line and 3-4ft of leader. Let it sink right to the bottom and rip it in.
Very cool to sight fish to trout in clear water and watch them charge in after the “fly”

But I’ve caught more fish on Blobs.

Don Andersen 07-15-2020 06:42 AM

Depending on water depth I use a type 4 sink tip, type #3 full sink or a type #6 full sink. The leader is 3>4’ long with a Booby or bold hanging on the end.
I strip them along. Cast out and watch the Booby. When it disappears pulled down by the line, start stripping - fast.
In water depths over 15’, I count down.
Works OK.
Static Booby fishing kills fish. This method requires an anchored platform and a type 4>6 line c/w a Booby. Cast out, let the line completely sink to the bottom and slowly retrieve tbe Booby. The fish tend to suck down the fly to the opening of the stomach making release impossible.
This type of technique can be used for other floating patterns like dragons flies or leeches. Kills fish — lots of fish.

Don

Gerald J 07-15-2020 07:51 AM

Love them. I have a 24' sink tip more suited for large rivers but it works well for me on lakes too. Haven't fished in water clear enough to see the fly. I cast it out, count down to different times and strip it in fast. Note, the fish hit the fly hard and I've broken off on the strike a few times. User error. Setting the hook too hard on the excitement. Works especially well in lousy weather.

newdrenalin 07-15-2020 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morgan (Post 4203138)
They work very well,
I go with a Type 6 sinking line and 3-4ft of leader. Let it sink right to the bottom and rip it in.
Very cool to sight fish to trout in clear water and watch them charge in after the “fly”

But I’ve caught more fish on Blobs.

Exactly what Morgan says ^^ Boobys saved my day quite a few times. Let em sink to the bottom and strip fast ( type 6 ) How do you fish your Blobs Morgan ?

morgan 07-15-2020 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newdrenalin (Post 4203301)
Exactly what Morgan says ^^ Boobys saved my day quite a few times. Let em sink to the bottom and strip fast ( type 6 ) How do you fish your Blobs Morgan ?

I’ve done well under an indicator. Also, sometimes I tie them with a short piece of white foam (kinda like the Booby eye foam) tied straight out from the back like a tail. Then I fish it on a sinking line. Works very well retrieved really slowly. All bright colours seem to work, pink being my favourite.

newdrenalin 07-15-2020 03:43 PM

Thanks Morgan