Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Trapping Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Im looking into make a trapping video series (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=354066)

Centralalbertasongdogslay 11-04-2018 03:37 PM

Im looking into make a trapping video series

This video series will spotlight various Alberta trappers both trappers that run their own traplines and our resident trappers. I want these videos to be a learning device that will show everything from proper fur handling to trapping specific fur bearers and the methods some of our most prolific and expert trappers will be the stars.
Like I said everything from fur handling to foot holding predators to snaring and I'll group the marten and fisher in one then wolverine and wolf with have their own and coyote will have a 2 DVD set focusing on foot holding and basic bait stations and snaring and have a beaver muskrat and mink. And every furbearer will have some spotlight and these videos will be for both new trappers who don't have anyone to go along with to veteran trappers I think it would be great to have a video series that was from Alberta trappers for Alberta trappers and once I make these videos I will sell them and work with the ATA and give so much of the sales to our ATA so they have the extra money from all the workshops they put on if they had video wolf workshops to sell I know they would make money while helping us keep our trapping heritage alive and here for our grandkids and their grandkids will still be able to trap, if you are a high ranking ATA MEMBER PLEASE PM ME SO I CAN GET TO WORK BECAUSE EVERY TRAPPER WILL BENEFIT IN SOMEWSY FROM THESE VIDEOS AND THE MONEY FROM THE SALES WILL BE ABLE TO HELP THE FIGHT AGAINST ATIN TRAPPING CAMPAIGNS AND IF YOU ARE A LOCAL PRESIDENT PM ME TO I WANT TO KNOW IF ANYONE ELSE THINKS THIS IDEA IS AS GREAT AS I THINK IT IS.

D4l3k 11-04-2018 04:42 PM

Sounds like the TV show trapping inc that already exists that highlights Alberta trapping

Maybe a partnership with them?

Best of luck with the project

Centralalbertasongdogslay 11-04-2018 05:01 PM

Yeah but it would be kind of similar because ffg video library with the tom Miranda how to videos are all from thee early 90s and it would be way more I depth with information on trapping inc they just show the highlights and a few tricks and tips I'm want a videos series for beginners or vetrasns that can watch a taped wolf workshop say if you casnt ever find the time to attend one you can just buy the video, and as for trapping inc I think they would make great partners I've worked for riches son so I'm defiantly going to get in touch with therm and I don't want to make money just for me I wanna have half of everything going to the ATA because I'm a trapper and we need to preserve this right to have this great sport and heritage pastime preserved because those anti trappers are looking to take away something all of uslove

tomcat 11-04-2018 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Centralalbertasongdogslay (Post 3866043)
I don't want to make money just for me I wanna have half of everything going to the ATA because I'm a trapper and we need to preserve this right to have this great sport and heritage pastime preserved because those anti trappers are looking to take away something all of us love

For the first thing, trapping IS NOT a SPORT. Trapping is a commercial activity, A BUSINESS.

Red Bullets 11-04-2018 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomcat (Post 3866055)
For the first thing, trapping IS NOT a SPORT. Trapping is a commercial activity, A BUSINESS.

I am not being critical to the OP's efforts. Just wanted to comment, in my opinion only and maybe suggest...
I have never heard of trapping to be considered a sport either. Trapping should be considered the skilled trade it is.

Trapping and its heritage is intact today because of the many people who dedicated decades of time and energy to develop our fur industry to today's global standards. Our fur heritage is not a pastime but a whole hearted effort and lifestyle for many. Alberta and Canada are fur industry leaders helping set and influence the global industries standards in many cases. Our fur industry is alive and well.

A trapping show that would have the element of heritage in it would be if a person went to document today's Alberta trappers that have continued on with their families trapping heritage. The families that have had traplines for a few generations have more substance for a show than the modern new trapper just going out to showcase his sets and catches. A heritage mini series showcasing the 250 year history of trapping through the ages and areas of Alberta would be interesting too.

Showing a certain furbearers' seminar/workshop show (like a wolf workshop) is sort of like offering trade secrets for nothing. I say this only because various courses are offered for a fee and some courses give the person a certification. This supports a certain standard. Free online and media education might be useful but it is open to interpretation and misuse by non certified people.

And.. the anti trappers will not get involved with trapping as much unless they see it on mainstream media first.

Being on the land with nature is meant for the person that is there. Not that person and an audience.

Brian Bildson 11-04-2018 08:58 PM

I assume your motive is pure and this not just an effort to get free content for your own self promotion. I doubt ATA would see any opportunity in making money as there's this new thing called youtube that has every wanna-be trapping star posting on it already. And there is a wealth of good information on there for free.

Torkdiesel 11-06-2018 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Bildson (Post 3866173)
I assume your motive is pure and this not just an effort to get free content for your own self promotion. I doubt ATA would see any opportunity in making money as there's this new thing called youtube that has every wanna-be trapping star posting on it already. And there is a wealth of good information on there for free.

I’ll echo Brian’s thoughts on this to a T. I hope you have some very deep pockets and simply a love for trapping.
This is going to cost you a pile of money and you’re not going to make a penny, but new “how to” videos would be cool. With no wifi at the cabin I’d likely buy them and watch, unfortunately DVD sales are in the tank as a whole, largely due to YouTube as Brian mentioned.

209x50 11-08-2018 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torkdiesel (Post 3867099)
I’ll echo Brian’s thoughts on this to a T. I hope you have some very deep pockets and simply a love for trapping.
This is going to cost you a pile of money and you’re not going to make a penny, but new “how to” videos would be cool. With no wifi at the cabin I’d likely buy them and watch, unfortunately DVD sales are in the tank as a whole, largely due to YouTube as Brian mentioned.

You Tube is king, I've had 8,966,993 minutes or 17 years and 17 days of content watched on our channel (Trapping Inc) in just under 3 years. Requests for DVDs for sale in that time totals less than 2 dozen. DVD sales are absolutely in the tank! Even try to find a fulfillment house to press the product. A couple of years ago there were companies all over the place and now there probably aren't a half a dozen in all of Canada. DVDs, especially the "how to" format are a tenth as popular as a book on the same subject. That factoid I got from the store manager at the ATA. It seems the quick reference of a book when learning makes the book a hands down winner over the DVD. Best of luck!

Flight01 11-09-2018 04:09 PM

Correct. YouTube is where it’s at.
Rich and Sandy are great. Other favourites are the wild north, William Larkham jr, Jason Roberts, trapping world

If you pursue this I wish you the best of luck. And look forward to some videos. Be sure to post up here too