Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Archery Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Bowhunting elk (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=63118)

zonker892 07-02-2010 08:19 PM

Bowhunting elk

For all the guys out there that have shot an elk with a bow, I was wondering what is the best way to get one in close. Ive heard that buggling doesnt really work like on the hunting movies because most elk are pressured and wont come to a bugle, I heard cow calling was the way to go? Id love to get an elk with my bow but i dont really have a clue where to start

tracker 07-02-2010 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zonker892 (Post 621985)
For all the guys out there that have shot an elk with a bow, I was wondering what is the best way to get one in close. Ive heard that buggling doesnt really work like on the hunting movies because most elk are pressured and wont come to a bugle, I heard cow calling was the way to go? Id love to get an elk with my bow but i dont really have a clue where to start

Last time I was out there were more hunters cow calling than birds chirping. If you're in a pressured area, maybe pick what financial investors call a contrarian position and anticipate how the frantic actions of others will affect the thing you're all chasing.

zonker892 07-02-2010 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tracker (Post 621991)
Last time I was out there were more hunters cow calling than birds chirping. If you're in a pressured area, maybe pick what financial investors call a contrarian position and anticipate how the frantic actions of others will affect the thing you're all chasing.

lol i see. Have you ever tried just putting a stand up and waiting?

ishootbambi 07-02-2010 10:40 PM

a stand can work if you have a well travelled herd scouted.....or at a waterhole that is the only one for miles. when hunting hard pressured elk, try to do something different than everyone else. once i bugled a herd real hard and cow called at the same while running hard and smashing sticks and branches. i convinced the herd bull that i was another bull running a cow and he nearly ran me over. i was just filming and not hunting, but it worked.

Kale_M 07-03-2010 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishootbambi (Post 622088)
a stand can work if you have a well travelled herd scouted.....or at a waterhole that is the only one for miles. when hunting hard pressured elk, try to do something different than everyone else. once i bugled a herd real hard and cow called at the same while running hard and smashing sticks and branches. i convinced the herd bull that i was another bull running a cow and he nearly ran me over. i was just filming and not hunting, but it worked.

harrasing wildlife?

Elk Hunter17 07-03-2010 01:25 PM

I've shot one from a tree and a couple from the ground using calls and decoy if it's the thrill of the hunt you are looking for stay on the ground it is much more intense but that's just my two cents. Good luck either way

ishootbambi 07-03-2010 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kale_M (Post 622263)
harrasing wildlife?

yup. just like the guy charged by a grizzly in the video posted here. it was in a provincial park too. :rolleye2:

timba 07-03-2010 10:09 PM

When I live up in GC I put a stand up in a area that I new had elk and just sat in my stand and used my bugle.I called in the biggest bull I have seen hunting to less then 20 yards but never gave me a clear shot of his vitals.What a rush when he bugled back

zonker892 07-03-2010 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timba (Post 622536)
When I live up in GC I put a stand up in a area that I new had elk and just sat in my stand and used my bugle.I called in the biggest bull I have seen hunting to less then 20 yards but never gave me a clear shot of his vitals.What a rush when he bugled back

That would be a rush!! Id love to get an elk with my bow! Hopefully I can make it happen

timba 07-04-2010 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zonker892 (Post 622544)
That would be a rush!! Id love to get an elk with my bow! Hopefully I can make it happen

I've been hunting them years with a bow and still haven't got one but I still love to chase them.The best was when I was in porcupine hills we got with 80 yards of about 40 elk and we listened to them for 2 hours buggling.My ears were ringing all day.I'll never forget that day.

timba

tikka_stainless 07-05-2010 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kale_M (Post 622263)
harrasing wildlife?

how is that harrassing wildlife? its just adding realism to calling. it is no different from someone thrashing a tree while moose calling or rattling antlers for deer.

Kale_M 07-05-2010 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tikka_stainless (Post 623377)
how is that harrassing wildlife? its just adding realism to calling. it is no different from someone thrashing a tree while moose calling or rattling antlers for deer.

he was just out filming them....

Pudelpointer 07-05-2010 09:32 AM

So what if he was filming them? That is not "harassing wildlife".

Chasing them on a quad or with your dog is harassing wildlife. So are you suggesting that the only time we should be in the field is during hunting season when we have a tag in our pocket?

Kale_M 07-05-2010 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pudelpointer (Post 623465)
So what if he was filming them? That is not "harassing wildlife".

Chasing them on a quad or with your dog is harassing wildlife. So are you suggesting that the only time we should be in the field is during hunting season when we have a tag in our pocket?

i did not say anything about not been able to film them..

but calling them in to film them...i consider that harassment..

If i call you on the phone over and over again without any reason, and is that not harassment?:fighting0074:

pottymouth 07-05-2010 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kale_M (Post 623734)

If i call you on the phone over and over again without any reason, and is that not harassment?:fighting0074:

:snapoutofit:

gunner72 07-05-2010 07:26 PM

Any*****

I've created plenty of chances with a bow just by useing a bugle. I think a guy has a 2 week window for some really good action. Where I go there is no one else tring it as far as I know. Me and a buddy have had them running at us for over a mile when they are responding well.

zonker892 07-05-2010 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunner72 (Post 623854)
I've created plenty of chances with a bow just by useing a bugle. I think a guy has a 2 week window for some really good action. Where I go there is no one else tring it as far as I know. Me and a buddy have had them running at us for over a mile when they are responding well.

Hey gunner what part of september to you find the bulls to call the most?

Pudelpointer 07-05-2010 08:27 PM

Quote:

Well if you keep calling me, and / or you pretend to be a girl, and then I find out you are not.... well I might stomp you into the ground, just like a big bull elk.

Seriously though, I am assuming that isb was not out chasing cows away from their calves, or taking a run at them with his truck, he was out taking some photos. What is your problem with that? Do you think most of the photos of animals that you see are just doing what they would be doing if the photographer was not there? Come on, lots of those elk have been bugled in, the bucks have been rattled in, etc.

Let me guess, you are one of those guys who fly fishes with a broken off hook, cause the challenge is in fooling the fish, not landing them, right?

PITA or PETA?

zonker892 07-05-2010 08:35 PM

If you guys want to argue about harassing animals start your own thread. I started this one to learn some elk hunting techniques from fellow hunters. thanx

alpineman 07-05-2010 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zonker892 (Post 623908)
If you guys want to argue about harassing animals start your own thread. I started this one to learn some elk hunting techniques from fellow hunters. thanx

X2 lets get back to the question,
I've had great success buggling and cow calling, but I keep out of the high pressure areas. Learn to use a buggle and cow call works for me.

ishootbambi 07-06-2010 12:47 AM

Quote:

i guess its lucky for me that F&W doesnt see it your way.

back to your question zonk. most of the areas elk are hunted in alberta, they are hunted somewhat hard. dont be afraid to try something different as i said. you already seem to understand that cow calling is often more effective than bugles, but another thing to consider is a partner calling with you. have the shooter set up 40-50 yards in front of the caller....like from the direction the elk is coming. remember they usually try to circle downwind of the call. if they are focused away from the shooter, it makes drawing unseen easier.

3jetboat 07-06-2010 09:20 AM

I've had my best luck around the 15th of the mos but that's not to say i haven't called them in earlier or much later.Often i hike as hard as i can bugling and listening for a answer then close the gap asfast and quietly as i can. then others i've taken just poking along when the knees get sore, just make sure u see them befor they see u and watch your scent, and i like to keep the sun at my back if poss it's harder for them to pick u out if the're looking in the sun.

Bassett 07-06-2010 01:15 PM

Remember to not be scared of using the bugle. Use it to locate the bull once and awhile but dont make the bugle seem to intimidating. Then once youve located the bull, cow in heat or cow call the bull in close.

Shaggy 07-06-2010 03:32 PM

Zonk, I hunt elk on crown land. The same piece that every man and his dog does I think. Half the hunt is finding the elk. The other half is watching the other hunters and where they are going to push the elk to.

I get responses to my bugles almost every time. But the answer always seems to be "I'm taking my ladies and getting out of here." But at least I got them located.

Kurt505 07-12-2010 09:42 AM

Try calling with a buddy. Use a combination of bugles and chirps. Last year I was chirping and a friend of mine was bugling about 80yds away and the bull came within 7yds of me. If he thinks he can sneak a cow away from the bull, he's darn well gonna try and do it. It's the rut, and if you only had a chance to get a piece twice a year, what do you think you would do? Pick a fight or play Cassanova?

Kurt505 07-12-2010 09:45 AM

PS, harrasing wildlife? Ha ha ha ha.

buckman 07-12-2010 11:25 AM

My experience is that the bulls and especially the large bulls respond best as early as you can get out.I have had luck calling in late August.Once the cows are in harems with the herd bull its tough to call them in,he will probably only answer.

In the early season the bulls seem to be checking on the local competition and may respond better.I find the same with rattling whitails.

The weather is a big factor,cool cloudy days seem to work best.If its hot get into the timber the elk are likely there somewhere trying to stay cool.

The most difficult part is locating them,wolves,hunting pressure,feed and just moving because they feel like it can make them hard to find.

Good luck with your hunt.

bowzonebucks 07-12-2010 11:46 AM

Last year I was hunting the GP area a week after the bow season opener and they were bugling. I cow called 3 different spikes in and my buddy arrowed his first animal. A 5x5 bull. I couldn't believe it!

Whitetail77 07-14-2010 11:05 AM

We were around Woking in mid September and it was quiet. I think it was due to the heat, but we might have been late.

BigRackLover 07-14-2010 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zonker892 (Post 621985)

start with elknut.com bugling bulls CD volumes 1-4 ... that'll get you started. Next put yourself in elk country and walk until you find fresh sign.