Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   opinion on exploding handgun. (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=353111)

Red Bullets 10-16-2018 05:38 PM

opinion on exploding handgun.

I saw this GIF and I wondered if this would be a faulty gun or a handler that didn't pin in the cylinder or other safety feature. Opinions?

The_Gun_Boy 10-16-2018 05:45 PM

Just an idea but perhaps the timing was really off?

Twisted Canuck 10-16-2018 06:05 PM

If timing was off that bad, I think the shooter's hand would have been shredded with shrapnel and blow back...looks really odd though. Double charge load would have more of a chance of blowing cylinder...I can't compute barrel flying off like that....even if it was just unpinned, or finger tightened on threads...still. Very weird failure. Heybert, explain this to us!

urban rednek 10-16-2018 06:09 PM

IIRC- it was a mechanical failure of the cylinder advancement gear; the round was not lined up properly with the barrel. Couldn't have been too far off, otherwise the hammer wouldn't connect with the primer.

Twisted Canuck 10-16-2018 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urban rednek (Post 3856438)
IIRC- it was a mechanical failure of the cylinder advancement gear; the round was not lined up properly with the barrel. Couldn't have been too far off, otherwise the hammer wouldn't connect with the primer.

If it was off that far to blow the barrel, wouldn't the bullet have gotten shredded or at least shaved on forcing cone...and shooter's hand would have got diced?

Grizzly Adams 10-16-2018 06:24 PM

Hand powders are very fast, easy to get an over load, kaboom.

Grizz

barkim 10-19-2018 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Bullets (Post 3856415)
I saw this GIF and I wondered if this would be a faulty gun or a handler that didn't pin in the cylinder or other safety feature. Opinions?

Apparently it is the fault of the gun. Whatever fault it is i don't know

Norwest Alta 10-19-2018 07:58 PM

Had a Taurus 22mag that something similar happened. Bullet stuck in the middle and then the next shot sheared the pin off and barrel fell off.

Pioneer2 10-19-2018 08:46 PM

crazy pic

Years ago there was a reloading manual [Speer I think]that had a Dan Wesson .357 mag revolver that had 9 or more bullets lodged in the barrel one fired after another with no damage to the gun or shooter.

kostianych 10-19-2018 09:09 PM

Ask guys at TSE - this video was taken at that range .......

Nyksta 10-19-2018 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kostianych (Post 3858149)
Ask guys at TSE - this video was taken at that range .......

Maybe the gun feared it was going to get reclassified prohib so it self destructed before anyone was able to examine its parts.

Oldan Grumpi 10-19-2018 10:26 PM

Well, not exactly a blowup, but....

When I was young and foolish, I saved my money and bought a brand new 6" S&W Model 29.

Wanting to see how well it would shoot, I braced up over the (white) hood of my pickup, and touched one off. Then I noticed the two nice burn marks, the dent, and the chip out of the heel of the grips.....that was bad.

So for the second shot I sat on my butt, with my back braced up against the front wheel and gripped that Model 29 as tight as I could between my knees...right over the barrel gap.

That was worse.

I don't know how in hell I ever managed to get old.

AB2506 10-19-2018 10:28 PM

Looks big enough to be an X frame S&W. Whether a 500 S&W or a 450 S&W, both are high intensity cartridges. The barrel is a thin tube turned into the frame, then a barrel shroud is placed over the barrel, then a barrel nut is screwed onto the barrel which secures the shroud. Very similar to the Dan Wesson design.

If a bullet were to get stuck in the bore, the next round could cause it to come apart like this?

heybert 10-20-2018 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck (Post 3856434)
If timing was off that bad, I think the shooter's hand would have been shredded with shrapnel and blow back...looks really odd though. Double charge load would have more of a chance of blowing cylinder...I can't compute barrel flying off like that....even if it was just unpinned, or finger tightened on threads...still. Very weird failure. Heybert, explain this to us!

Just got back from SE BC. Had no internet and sporadic service. Anyway, I think this video has been explained already. Timing is a good guess, but more likely a squib was in the barrel and the pressure from the he next shot blew out the barrel. Nice thing about a revolver, pressure has lots of exit points.

Red Bullets 10-20-2018 11:23 PM

Great feedback. Thanks.