Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Game of Thrones (advice needed) (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=209819)

lone wolf 02-19-2014 12:28 PM

Game of Thrones (advice needed)

I must confess that I have never watched it. Quite a few guys at work do, and love it. Here is my issue. My partner's son came to visit for spring break, and brought Season 1 Game of Thrones to watch ~ problem is that he only turned 14 last week. I am adamant that there are situations, language and content that are totally unsuitable for someone his age. As far as I am concerned, he is not going to watch it in my house. Mom on the other hand could care less.

From watchers of the show, and who are parents, am I over-reacting ? Any advice or suggestions.

brownbomber 02-19-2014 12:34 PM

14 hard to say but it's violent and sexual
My kids aren't that old yet, but I'm sure he's seen it before.

Buckhead 02-19-2014 12:38 PM

At 14 he's probably seen and heard quite a lot already.

However, really not appropriate viewing for someone that age.

If his parents want to let him watch it at [B]their house[B] that is fine.

My house, my rules.

dty 02-19-2014 12:40 PM

18 is questionable. Definitely not for a 14 year old.

BeeGuy 02-19-2014 12:41 PM

Better you watch it with him, given the alternative.

Every kid with internet and a smart phone has likely seen far more exotic material by 14.

She's not that hot anyways.

Mickey 02-19-2014 12:43 PM

Pretty sure if they have access to the internet they have seen and heard alot worse.

There is some nudity and some violence.

That is all.

Walking dead is probably alot worse for shock factor.

BeeGuy 02-19-2014 12:43 PM

14 is highschool age.

Highschool kids have sex, do drugs etc etc

Making the show taboo is not going to work in your favour.

18 questionable??????

Bahahahahaha:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Sundancefisher 02-19-2014 12:47 PM

cinematography is great. Acting exceptional. Storyline from the books is superb albiet with some holes they are correcting as they go in the movie.

There is violence although not near as graphic as Walking Dead.

There is nudity and suggestive sexuality...for the most part fleeting. Definitely would feel awkward with a 14 year old in the room so my gut tells me that is too young. Mentally mature 16 year old ok. 18 of course.

IMHO

brownbomber 02-19-2014 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeeGuy (Post 2330012)
14 is highschool age.

18 questionable??????

Yeah by 18 nearly 20 years ago for me I wasn't very innocent at all by then. Drink drugs sex around 16 I guess, certainly knew all about it at 14 and I was a rural religious family

Redfrog 02-19-2014 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeeGuy (Post 2330012)
14 is highschool age.

18 questionable??????

I'm with Beeguy on this . All kids do drugs, have sex etc.etc. so why bother having any rules or boundaries. I mean it's not like they have to follow any structure in the real world. The younger they get started, the better. Soon they won't need parents at all.

Mekanik 02-19-2014 12:55 PM

Honestly, it's up to you. It's an adult show and nothing that, by 14, he likely hasn't seen already. Still doesn't mean he should get carte Blanche to watch, however, if you feel it's inappropriate for his age.

Excellent show otherwise and be very warned, if you choose to watch it with him, I suspect season two will come very quickly to your house.

rugatika 02-19-2014 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redfrog (Post 2330022)
I'm with Beeguy on this . All kids do drugs, have sex etc.etc. so why bother having any rules or boundaries. I mean it's not like they have to follow any structure in the real world. The younger they get started, the better. Soon they won't need parents at all.

Bingo. Better to be a kids friend than act like a parent. Look at it as a good chance to do some bonding. Grab a couple cases of beer and some tequila. Every time something R rated comes on, you each have to do a couple shots of tequila chased by a beer. First person to puke has to buy season two. I'm sure mommy will be OK with that.

It's been pretty well established as scientific fact by leading climatologists the world over that children without boundaries excel in all endeavours they undertake. Boundaries and discipline stifle a child and they tend to be forced into top ranked universities, high paying jobs, etc rather than an enjoyable life of leisure on welfare.

CheeseBurger 02-19-2014 01:07 PM

I'm with BeeGuy on this one. Kids have access to the internet and their imagination is the only limit as to what they can find out there.

brownbomber 02-19-2014 01:13 PM

Yeah it's tough in today's world to raise a kid as we were. So much exposure and availability of mature stuff. Not saying it's right, just reality. A 1930's born kid was shocked by what they had to raise their kids born in the 50's or early 60's. The times are always changing. Even in bodo

Nester 02-19-2014 01:13 PM

Watch it with you or without you.......I'm sure he will watch it sooner than later.

Season 1 is rather tame, Season 2 has one episode with lots of nice sex in it :sHa_shakeshout:

Wild&Free 02-19-2014 01:14 PM

sex and the human body are not things to be ashamed or sheltered from. it can lead to some difficult social and relationship issues.

plus would you rather them learn about this sort of stuff from strangers and he internet or from you?

Lefty-Canuck 02-19-2014 01:15 PM

We have a 15yr old boy and he cannot watch it....nor does he want to.

The scene where the prostitute is naked and dead and pinned to the bed with a bunch of xbow bolts while Geoffry smirks....is enough to disallow it from the kids.

LC

rugatika 02-19-2014 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brownbomber (Post 2330046)
Yeah it's tough in today's world to raise a kid as we were. So much exposure and availability of mature stuff. Not saying it's right, just reality. A 1930's born kid was shocked by what they had to raise their kids born in the 50's or early 60's. The times are always changing. Even in bodo

I agree with you 100%, but I really do believe, (and I'm not a parent so everyone feel free to blast me...lol) that kids do appreciate having boundaries, as much as they complain about them and test them. I look at so many kids that were pretty much allowed to do as they please compared to kids that were raised with boundaries and discipline and I see a world of difference generally speaking, WITH some exceptions to the rule of course.

I seriously doubt that the single act of watching Game of Thrones is going to have any significant impact one way or another on the kid, but the cumulative toll of doing as he pleases might.

Oh, and I've never seen the show, but I might have to start watching it...sounds good.

BeeGuy 02-19-2014 01:27 PM

Obviously some people prefer to keep their heads buried in the sand.

Better to parent, than to say no.

Cause they will anyways, either with your guidance or without it.

They can download the series onto their smart phone or ipod or tablet or other device and watch it with a pair of earphones while you chauffeur them to hockey, dance, whatever.

Saying no is more an admission of your unwillingness to acknowledge and approach the issue than it is somehow meant to save them.

Imo a good father would give their 14 yo son a few talks, a Playboy on the sly, and keep tabs on their internet history.

Watch it with him and give him a beer.

BeeGuy 02-19-2014 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck (Post 2330049)
We have a 15yr old boy and he cannot watch it....nor does he want to.

The scene where the prostitute is naked and dead and pinned to the bed with a bunch of xbow bolts while Geoffry smirks....is enough to disallow it from the kids.

LC

I was trying to think of the most graphic scene and that was the one that came to mind.

jungleboy 02-19-2014 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lone wolf (Post 2329989)
I must confess that I have never watched it. Quite a few guys at work do, and love it. Here is my issue. My partner's son came to visit for spring break, and brought Season 1 Game of Thrones to watch ~ problem is that he only turned 14 last week. I am adamant that there are situations, language and content that are totally unsuitable for someone his age. As far as I am concerned, he is not going to watch it in my house. Mom on the other hand could care less.

From watchers of the show, and who are parents, am I over-reacting ? Any advice or suggestions.

He could probably sit you down and teach you a few things about sex and violence on the screen . His mom is ok with it and from what I gather you're not his dad (hate to tell you this but when push comes to shove you never will be and he and she will make sure you know it) Let him watch it , watch it with him and her and leave it at that . Not a hill to die on

Wild&Free 02-19-2014 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rugatika (Post 2330054)
I agree with you 100%, but I really do believe, (and I'm not a parent so everyone feel free to blast me...lol) that kids do appreciate having boundaries, as much as they complain about them and test them. I look at so many kids that were pretty much allowed to do as they please compared to kids that were raised with boundaries and discipline and I see a world of difference generally speaking, WITH some exceptions to the rule of course.

I seriously doubt that the single act of watching Game of Thrones is going to have any significant impact one way or another on the kid, but the cumulative toll of doing as he pleases might.

Oh, and I've never seen the show, but I might have to start watching it...sounds good.

Boundaries work best when they are unseen and the desire to push them is met with controlled extension of them I believe.

if he really wants to see it, I'd suggest keeping him ddistracted for the first two episodes as the nudity falls off after that. the violence isn't harsh or gory for the most part, just don't fall for any character, Martin has a penchant for killing off main characters which both opens and closes the various storylines.

people mature at different rates and holding a child back from maturing serves no one but the parents ego and vanity in my opinion.

Okotokian 02-19-2014 01:56 PM

I'd pick your battles. Your house but you are not his parent. You want to have a positive relationship with him. So sit down and watch it with him. If/when it gets to a part you find inapporopriate, just say "I feel uncomfortable watching this with you. Mind if I fast foward through it?". My wife has done that with our sons plenty of times. You take responsibility for it, but you are still enjoying the show with him. A little bonding instead of a "You aren't my dad!!!!" screaming fight.

DarkAisling 02-19-2014 01:56 PM

I don't censor what my kids watch, read, or listen to. I never have.

While I don't generally watch Game of Thrones when my little guy is up, he has certainly had some exposure to it. He's not really interested in it, though. He's much more interested in the Walking Dead.

midgetwaiter 02-19-2014 02:01 PM

Oh noes, there's boobies!

Before anybody tries to respond with a rebuttal about violence or "adult situations" consider this question; If it were Braveheart or Lord of the Rings would you care?

Okotokian 02-19-2014 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAisling (Post 2330083)
I don't censor what my kids watch, read, or listen to. I never have.

By "never censor" do you mean "never monitor"? So if they are on the internet, you have no idea what sites they go to or who they may communcate with? Never have bothered to check and never will? Just want to make sure I'm not misinterpreting what you mean.

DarkAisling 02-19-2014 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okotokian (Post 2330095)
By "never censor" do you mean "never monitor"? So if they are on the internet, you have no idea what sites they go to or who they may communcate with? Never have bothered to check and never will? Just want to make sure I'm not misinterpreting what you mean.

I mean "never censor."

Okotokian 02-19-2014 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAisling (Post 2330107)
I mean "never censor."

Thank you for the lack of clarification.

DarkAisling 02-19-2014 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okotokian (Post 2330110)
Thank you for the lack of clarification.

I meant exactly what I wrote. You don't need to go reading anything else into that or letting your imagination run wild.

Redfrog 02-19-2014 02:26 PM

"Imo a good father would give their 14 yo son a few talks, a Playboy on the sly, and keep tabs on their internet history.

Watch it with him and give him a beer."

No surprise there.:thinking-006: