Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sail silk tents (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=151695)

TheRealMcCoy 10-08-2012 09:22 PM

Sail silk tents

Does anyone know where to buy tents made with sail silk? Years ago I guided
for John Ostashek in the western Kukon. He had some. They were real light
and well made. Ideas anyone?

fishunter 10-08-2012 09:28 PM

Any idea of the weight. The bop up ones r about 27lbs

greylynx 10-08-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRealMcCoy (Post 1640214)

Are we talking Egyption sail cloth tents that used to be sold by Blacks Outdoors in Ontario up to the early seventies?

Those were pre nylon days mountaineering tents and very very expensive.

If any of our other AO members know about these tents please comment.

xxclaro 10-08-2012 10:08 PM

If you want,get ahold of Sherwood Guides and Outfitters.I worked for the m years ago and we used those same type of tents.If I'm not mistaken,Pete McMahon had them custom made,so he could probably help you out.

HunterDave 10-08-2012 10:41 PM

Is sail silk thicker than parachute silk?

Twobucks 10-09-2012 09:42 AM

Most modern sails are made with coated dacron. It's heavy, stiff and noisy and gets leaks if you fold it too tightly too often.

BUT. . .there are some great lightweight tents out there that might be what you're thinking of. Try GoLite - they sell online only now, but they're inexpensive (especially compared to Kifaru or TiGoat) and seem well made. I've used their ShangriLa 2 but I really want the 5.

If my memory is correct, for about $700 you could buy the tent, a lightweight woodstove and stove jack and still come in under 9lbs.

Good luck.

Horn Stretcher 10-09-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRealMcCoy (Post 1640214)

I used to have one, it was the best tent I have ever had. We had a sow with cubs come into camp a tear it apart and have not been able to find anyone who makes them. They all say those tents have fire issues.

I to would like to know who makes them or were to get them.

MountainTi 11-26-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horn Stretcher (Post 1640729)
I used to have one, it was the best tent I have ever had. We had a sow with cubs come into camp a tear it apart and have not been able to find anyone who makes them. They all say those tents have fire issues.

I to would like to know who makes them or were to get them.

I just ended up with a sail silk (egyptian cotton) wall tent in a deal. It is an 8x10 with 2' walls, weighs next to nothing, will make a nice light top pack. It was custom built, but not sure where. Would also be curious if anyone knows

Found an in depth article on sail silk tents...
http://wintertrekking.com/equipment/hot-tenting/

xcaribooer 11-22-2014 05:23 PM

I recently picked up a nice little 2 man silk sail tent made by jones tent and awning(pioneer brand) it is amazing quality and still excellent condition for something made in the 70/80's. I love it , it is lite enough for packing too.it was at value village for 19bucks!I believe this company went out of business in the 80's when things started being made off shore and people were willing to sacrifice quality to save a buck. besides the heavy canvas wall tents I have never seen a tent of this quality.

Arctic 11-22-2014 11:37 PM

Try Fort McPherson Canvas, they made a few for me a few years back.