Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   2023/2024 Calgary Flames (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=425456)

Trochu 09-21-2023 08:49 AM

2023/2024 Calgary Flames

1 Attachment(s)
Well, with the first NHL preseason game scheduled for tomorrow and camp started, I felt it was time to start this thread. I must say, I don't have high hopes for the club, but am looking forward to the season with the proposed injection of youth into the lineup. It will be nice to see no Lewis, Ritche (as much as I liked Brett), Leivo, Looch, Rooney, etc. type players on opening night and they certainly should be more entertaining to watch.

While I don't think guys like Honzek, Zary, Poirier have much of a shot, I fully expect to see Wolf, Coronato, and Pelletier get some games with guys like Ruzicka and Duehr almost being locks.

Assuming they can get a reasonable return, I'd also welcome them trading Hanifin, I don't mind:
Weegar-Andersson
Kylington-Tanev
being our top four with Zadorov being the fifth guy. May not happen, but I don't think it's the end of the world if he's gone, as long as he doesn't walk for nothing in the summer.

I don't mind the look of this lineup and hope a new coach (who is hopefully less stubborn and actually practices the PP), some skill/speed vs "veteran presence", and a few guys turning their game around makes all the difference.

Top three in the division may be tough, but I feel we definitely have a shot at the playoffs.

Go Flames!

Big Sky 09-21-2023 09:37 AM

I'm glad to see that the Flames are not relying on 30+ y.o. vets to fill out the fourth line. However, I would have liked to see them keep Lewis around. He still skates well, is a first rate penalty killer, has a strong veteran presence and makes close to league minimum. The other two 4th line spots could have gone to young guys.

Hanifin, Backlund and Lindholm, being on expiring contracts could turn into distractions. I think the players will keep quiet, but the media and fans will be focused on the contract situation.

IMO, due to his age, Backlund has little trade value but he would be an easy trade at the deadline. I'd be sorry to see him go.
I'm surprised that Hanifin wasn't traded over the summer. I'm guessing that the stagnant salary cap is keeping teams from committing to big contracts or trading for players who would be expecting a big raise. A one or two year contract might be something the team and Hanifin consider. If a deal can't be reached, I'd trade him at the deadline.
Lindholm is the one that I'd most want to keep. He seems to be wanting a big raise, but again, the salary cap might not allow it. He might go for a short term contract as well until the salary cap increases. I'd be trading him at the deadline if a deal isn't reached.

I really like Gilbert as a 6/7 defenseman. He's not flashy, but he doesn't make a lot of mistakes. He needs to limit his fighting to his own weight class. I expect that some of the d-men from the farm will be hoping for an opening due to the Hanifin situation. That should create some good competition.

What to do with Vladar/Wolf?

Dave P 09-21-2023 10:21 AM

Wonder what the story with Kylington is. Not going to be at start of training camp. Didnt pass medical or fitness testing.

Trochu 09-21-2023 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave P (Post 4662281)
Wonder what the story with Kylington is. Not going to be at start of training camp. Didnt pass medical or fitness testing.

I hadn't heard that, that sucks. Hope he can get it figured out.

Rig-Rat 09-21-2023 08:53 PM

Quote:

Not sure what to think of this guy anymore. If its the "personal problems" as they are saying, then even if he does join the team, what are the odds of him playing the whole season? I would think not as soon as he has another episode, he's gone. I think get hi whatever support, but time to part was and get an able body on the roster.
Not sure what to expect this season, hopefully with some youth, and fingers crossed, Marky and Hubby have better season, we are a sleeper nobody pays attention to, and we go far but undetected.

CDNOutdoorsman 09-21-2023 09:56 PM

Quote:

His boyfriend commited suicide last year, that is why he left last year. Not sure what the issue is now.

roper1 09-21-2023 10:05 PM

Kylington 26 now, not much more runway left....best of luck to him personally......but they're his demons to handle....or not.

Trochu 09-27-2023 11:40 AM

Well that sucks. Pelletier goes into the boards awkwardly in the Flames second preseason game, scheduled for surgery, and is out indefinitely. Wonder if this opens the door for Klapka....

Rig-Rat 09-27-2023 11:55 AM

Rough day for Flames Nation. Peltier needing shoulder surgery sounds like. Then Chris Snows wife posted this. Man I feel for that family. Even though you know it's coming, doesn't make it any easier https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...681bdf69e1.jpg

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk

Howard Hutchinson 09-27-2023 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rig-Rat (Post 4663740)
Rough day for Flames Nation. Peltier needing shoulder surgery sounds like. Then Chris Snows wife posted this. Man I feel for that family. Even though you know it's coming, doesn't make it any easier https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...681bdf69e1.jpg

>>
Terrible news RR. Feel just terrible for his family. A person just never knows what the next day will bring. Man oh man. Fingers crossed for him.

Rig-Rat 09-27-2023 03:28 PM

Oh a happier note. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...4767d442e1.jpg

Sundancefisher 10-09-2023 01:37 PM

Very quiet thread. Hopefully because we are all so confident.

While I wasn’t impressed with the pre-season… it comes down to better performance by the core… with Huberdeau and Kadri doing far better.

Will the new coaching style help? Time will tell now. Huberdeau playing his preferred wing? Backland being captain? Lindholm on his final days likely to get traded depending how the season goes.

Goaltending. Wait and see. Defensively looks ok.

I see the 20 game mark as the do or die point.

Fingers crossed.

TheIceTitan 10-10-2023 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundancefisher (Post 4666534)
Very quiet thread. Hopefully because we are all so confident.

While I wasn’t impressed with the pre-season… it comes down to better performance by the core… with Huberdeau and Kadri doing far better.

Will the new coaching style help? Time will tell now. Huberdeau playing his preferred wing? Backland being captain? Lindholm on his final days likely to get traded depending how the season goes.

Goaltending. Wait and see. Defensively looks ok.

I see the 20 game mark as the do or die point.

Fingers crossed.

This 100%.

My expectations are low.

TheIceTitan 10-10-2023 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDNOutdoorsman (Post 4662439)
His boyfriend commited suicide last year, that is why he left last year. Not sure what the issue is now.

Please tell me you are kidding.

Where did you hear/read this?

CDNOutdoorsman 10-10-2023 08:43 AM

No kidding. Very reliable source.

Sundancefisher 10-10-2023 09:47 AM

Flames Nation posted roster

Here are the opening 22 active players:
Goaltenders Jacob Markstrom (#25) and Dan Vladar (#80)
Defensemen Rasmus Andersson (#4), Chris Tanev (#8), Nikita Zadorov (#16), Dennis Gilbert (#48) MacKenzie Weegar (#52), Noah Hanifin (#55) and Jordan Oesterle (#82)
Forwards Jonathan Huberdeau (#10), Mikael Backlund (#11), Dryden Hunt (#15), Yegor Sharangovich (#17), A.J. Greer (#18), Blake Coleman (#20), Matt Coronato (#27), Elias Lindholm (#28), Dillon Dube (#29), Adam Ruzicka (#63), Walker Duehr (#71) Andrew Mangiapane (#88) and Nazem Kadri (#91).
Backlund is the captain, while Andersson, Tanev, Huberdeau and Lindholm are alternate captains.

Talking moose 10-10-2023 08:40 PM

^ looks very solid again this year, just like last year…..(on paper). Time will tell once again.

Sundancefisher 10-11-2023 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheIceTitan (Post 4666678)
Please tell me you are kidding.

Where did you hear/read this?

It’s meaningless. His employer sees his circumstances and they are the decision makers. They are fine and so am I and no amount if internet gossip will change it.

I feel bad for the guy and hope his life improves such that he can return.

Tonight will be the first test of the new team. Fingers crossed.

Some sports guy on tsn figures Huberdeau will hit 100 points again this year.

That’s what we need to talk about and see happen.

Twisted Canuck 10-11-2023 10:52 PM

Flames undefeated so far this season. Very nice win, that late goal by Lindholm was a thing of beauty. And Markstrom had a very good game, other then that first softie.

Pleasantly surprised.

Sundancefisher 10-12-2023 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck (Post 4667217)
Flames undefeated so far this season. Very nice win, that late goal by Lindholm was a thing of beauty. And Markstrom had a very good game, other then that first softie.

Pleasantly surprised.

Overall a good game. A few kinks to work out. A few sloppy passes. Huberdeau missing the open net made me laugh. Maybe doesn’t have confidence and drive going 100% yet.

They played like a team versus the other alberta kids.

Defence was okay but can use some improvement.

Markstrom let in a softie… would like to see fewer of those this season.

Overall… good first game. Now to work out the kinks.

Trochu 10-14-2023 05:36 PM

Wow, Markstrom is looking better this year, stopped the first six!

As much as I like Pittsburgh, Go Flames!

58thecat 10-15-2023 08:12 AM

Well again as per yesteryear another loss.

Trochu 10-15-2023 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58thecat (Post 4667972)
Well again as per yesteryear another loss.

Rats, I didn't think that was gonna happen this year!

Twisted Canuck 10-15-2023 09:30 AM

Who could have imagined they would lose a game?

densa44 10-15-2023 09:39 AM

"other than that first softie"

Well that is the problem isn't it? IMO Kipper covered up a lot of problems that were not addressed now everthing needs fixing.
Who is the best goalie available and can we get him?
You can't have softies and go very far, remember they needed 5 goals to win, that's a lot for any team.
Is there a goalie coach to replace Glenn Hall? That might help.
Without outstanding goaltending, no team will go very far.
Soft goals are IMO caused by lack of concentration, and staying razor sharp for 60 mins is almost impossible, you may recall Trechak used to skate around his net when the puck was at the other end. If Marky has got it, he needs help with the stress, and not alcohol.

Talking moose 10-15-2023 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by densa44 (Post 4668009)
Well that is the problem isn't it? IMO Kipper covered up a lot of problems that were not addressed now everthing needs fixing.
You can't have softies and go very far, remember they needed 5 goals to win, that's a lot for any team.
Soft goals are IMO caused by lack of concentration, and staying razor sharp for 60 mins is almost impossible, you may recall Trechak used to skate around his net when the puck was at the other end. If Marky has got it, he needs help with the stress, and not alcohol.

Edmonton and Calgary in similar boats.

58thecat 10-16-2023 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by densa44 (Post 4668009)

Felt sorry for him, could have won multiple cups with another team but like markstrome hung out to dry....

Trochu 10-17-2023 12:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just thought I'd post some joy after another 1 goal loss.

roper1 10-19-2023 08:24 PM

Just saw the last few minutes. Boys pretty loose defensively. Might be the opponent, but sure glad to see them make a little hay against the non-playoff teams. Johnnie tomorrow night, should be motivated. Run CBJ out of their own barn please.

Twisted Canuck 10-19-2023 08:34 PM

Flames 2nd in Pacific?? And 3rd in West behind Vegas and Avalanche? Did not see that coming. I guess enjoy it while we can :lol: only 78 more games to play...