Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   There are still big pike in Wabamun... (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=332392)

NSR Fisher 10-29-2017 04:07 PM

There are still big pike in Wabamun...

Well, you could say our trip didn't go "as planned'.

Me, Jeff, and his girlfriend Emma all went out for a trip to the Athabasca this weekend. Ended up getting skunked(!!!) at the river, which was shocking but on our way back we figured we would throw a line in at Wabamun to catch some 15" walleye and at least get the skunk off the trip.

Well, let me tell you the most unexpected thing happened! We ended up catching a BIG pike in comparison to the new Wabamun average. I won't say exactly how big so please tune into the video to see the actual scaled weight and measurement on video! This one could eat the ones we caught in our last Wabamun video.

Most people I talk to other than a select few are CONVINCED the big pike in Wabamun are dead. Well, lemme tell you, there is at least ONE healthy momma slough shark swimming around still! She was released fully healthy, ready to be caught again!

So screw what others have told you, if you have the right gear/knowledge of the lake (as well as some luck!), you can still catch big fish in Wabamun.

PS: Screw you wind!

Dweb 10-29-2017 04:21 PM

Went to Athabasca river this morning , skunked as well , windy cold miserable.

NSR Fisher 10-29-2017 06:07 PM

yeah I meant Athabasca river, haha not "the athabasca" and it wasn't so bad yesterday when we were there but the wind was horrible today I agree.

Digger1 10-29-2017 08:44 PM

Where may the aforementioned video be observed?

NSR Fisher 10-29-2017 10:14 PM

it will be awhile yet before the video is rendered, we literally just got back today!

SNAPFisher 10-30-2017 07:59 AM

What? No teaser/spoiler pics :)

Good for you! I have a reliable source at work who laughs at what some are saying on here about the Wab decline. He boated the usual amount this year including one well over 20 lbs.

I'm glad to see someone else prove otherwise. Look forwards to the vid.

Congrats and cheers!

NSR Fisher 10-30-2017 10:18 AM

Yeah, I would post a picture but it would be a complete spoiler.

This post was more to just re-assure people that there are definitely big fish in Wabamun if you know where to look and have a bit of luck!

I definitely believe that the pike fishery in Wab is definitely on the decline, this fall out of almost 100 fish landed combined between me and others on two different trips, we caught maybe 5 pike and only one was worth mentioning which is the beast that you will see soon!

Hopefully they find a way to cooexist with the Walleye and the Pike are fewer but bigger overall. I doubt that will happen but it would be a dream come true IMO. It will be interesting to see how big the Walleyes in there get as well, already landed a few decent ones.

RavYak 10-30-2017 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NSR Fisher (Post 3655266)
This post was more to just re-assure people that there are definitely big fish in Wabamun if you know where to look and have a bit of luck!

I definitely believe that the pike fishery in Wab is definitely on the decline, this fall out of almost 100 fish landed combined between me and others on two different trips, we caught maybe 5 pike and only one was worth mentioning which is the beast that you will see soon!

I think most of us still know there is the odd big pike in there, the guys like myself that you see complaining about what Wab is like now are complaining because you didn't use to need luck. You used to catch a nice pike every trip or two if you knew what you were doing and I am talking someone like myself limited with a kayak, the guys with boats and knowledge used to land multiple good ones in a day of fishing. You used to be able to go out there and target big pike with big lures and have a good day, now if you try that more often then not you end up just washing your lures...

Imagine near the same quality of fishing as it is now but instead of catching 14 inch walleye you were catching 24+ inch pike and 30-40 inchers being a regular occurrence. That is what wab used to be like.

Anyone claiming it hasn't changed must be smoking some pretty strong stuff or has only fished it the last 3 years...

Salavee 10-30-2017 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NSR Fisher (Post 3654690)
Well, you could say our trip didn't go "as planned'.

Me, Jeff, and his girlfriend Emma all went out for a trip to the Athabasca this weekend. Ended up getting skunked(!!!) at the river, which was shocking but on our way back we figured we would throw a line in at Wabamun to catch some 15" walleye and at least get the skunk off the trip.

Well, let me tell you the most unexpected thing happened! We ended up catching a BIG pike in comparison to the new Wabamun average. I won't say exactly how big so please tune into the video to see the actual scaled weight and measurement on video! This one could eat the ones we caught in our last Wabamun video.

Most people I talk to other than a select few are CONVINCED the big pike in Wabamun are dead. Well, lemme tell you, there is at least ONE healthy momma slough shark swimming around still! She was released fully healthy, ready to be caught again!

So screw what others have told you, if you have the right gear/knowledge of the lake (as well as some luck!), you can still catch big fish in Wabamun.

PS: Screw you wind!

Maybe for the next little while anyway. Keep posting !

NSR Fisher 10-30-2017 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavYak (Post 3655337)

Imagine near the same quality of fishing as it is now but instead of catching 14 inch walleye you were catching 24+ inch pike and 30-40 inchers being a regular occurrence. That is what wab used to be like.

There are definitely more than just a few 15" walleye there, about 1 in 4 are closer to 20" now and there are more than a few 24"+ ones already!

It will be interesting to see how big the Walleye get, especially if they open up a tag system and people can start harvesting some of the massive amounts of 43CM ones, it will leave more baitfish in the lake hopefully increasing overall size. Opening tags for Walleye on Wabamun would also help ease pressure on Pigeon Lake!

PS: Walleye fishing at Pigeon is the best its been in years IMO, last time I was there earlier this month I caught 10 walleye in just a few hours and 8 of them had to be 20" or more, all with healthy bellies instead of skinny & sick looking. The tag system there is working perfectly, keeping the population in check preventing overpopulation, while making sure the lake doesn't get completely fished out and increasing the average size.

Weedy1 10-30-2017 05:17 PM

No more talk till the the video is rendered. Hurry up I don't have all week.:)

diamond k 10-30-2017 08:55 PM

might be the biggest waste of time post of the year

TylerThomson 10-30-2017 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamond k (Post 3655710)
might be the biggest waste of time post of the year

I agree your post was a complete waste of time.

RavYak 10-31-2017 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NSR Fisher (Post 3655450)
There are definitely more than just a few 15" walleye there, about 1 in 4 are closer to 20" now and there are more than a few 24"+ ones already!

It will be interesting to see how big the Walleye get, especially if they open up a tag system and people can start harvesting some of the massive amounts of 43CM ones, it will leave more baitfish in the lake hopefully increasing overall size. Opening tags for Walleye on Wabamun would also help ease pressure on Pigeon Lake!

PS: Walleye fishing at Pigeon is the best its been in years IMO, last time I was there earlier this month I caught 10 walleye in just a few hours and 8 of them had to be 20" or more, all with healthy bellies instead of skinny & sick looking. The tag system there is working perfectly, keeping the population in check preventing overpopulation, while making sure the lake doesn't get completely fished out and increasing the average size.

I'll take your word on the bigger walleye, I only fished it for a few hours this year and only caught 14 inchers but it could have been the spot that I chose.

There are some even bigger ones, I caught a 26.5 incher a couple years ago but those are just rare larger fish that got transferred from Ste. Anne.

EZM 10-31-2017 08:29 AM

I love this thread .....

A couple things - first of all, most guys, at least from I've read, or contributed to on this forum say that pike numbers and health are on the decline and that larger and healthier (bigger) pike have also declined within that lake.

Nobody said, at least not in any threads I've read, or recall, that they were "all dead".

How is it, that most of us would catch a few 5-7 lbers everyday, often catch one or two 8-12lbers in a day and occasionally (on average every second trip or so) catch a fish or two in the mid to high teens and now you can't do that.

We used to catch 100 pike a day - now you can't do that.

Is it because you need to be a expert master angler superstar? or is it because the rest of us are not as good as we used to be? or is the fishery, legitimately, in decline?

Congratulations on your big pike.

Let's see the picture.

pikeman06 10-31-2017 09:32 AM

Yup I could hardly sleep last night. Come on man let's see this monster pike from wab. I got things to do. Bahaha. Did you vote NDP?

NSR Fisher 10-31-2017 10:12 AM

I apologize, this post probably could have waited until the video was ready, Jeff currently has a backlog of about 5 videos worth of footage to get through!

We were definitely busy this fall but the videos will be rolling out over the next few weeks here.

Included will be some NSR fishing, Abraham lake area, Pigeon, and of course Wabamun.

Sorry for jumping the gun but its nice to at least open discussion about the fishery in Wabamun. Loving everyone's feed back !

I guess to make this thread less useless, I will share a bit of strategy with you all.

My hint on how to find the big female pike right now on Wabamun, find rocky/pebble bottom. The whites should be spawning and the big girls chase them up onto the rocks while packing on the pounds to survive the winter while their eggs develop. That also gives you a hint as to what I caught the pike on! Always a good idea to use lures that imitate what your target fish is eating. :-)

NSR Fisher 10-31-2017 10:16 AM

As for the Walleye sizes at Wabamun, you really gotta get through the numbers to find the larger 20+ ones, and yeah I figured they were transplants for St Anne & Isle Lake.

I hope that a tag system is started next season at least for the 43CM class, it won't hurt the population at all to have a sustainable & control walleye harvest at Wabamun. They have absolutely exploded in that lake!

SNAPFisher 10-31-2017 01:18 PM

It's all good to me and I appreciated the heads up post. Some members just like getting their panties in a bunch. Look forwards to the vid. Good point on what the big girls might be interested in :)

On the Wab and tag system, you would have to logically think that was an end state as to why the introduced walleye there. However, it is still in that zero retention period with public health concern on water quality. I haven't heard of any change to that unless someone on here has more up to date info?

pikeman06 10-31-2017 03:45 PM

I heard the local natives are planning on netting the hell out of the wallies this winter as soon as the ice is thick enough. Maybe it won't be too late like pigeon for the other species to come back. Have at er boys.

RavYak 10-31-2017 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNAPFisher (Post 3656248)
On the Wab and tag system, you would have to logically think that was an end state as to why the introduced walleye there. However, it is still in that zero retention period with public health concern on water quality. I haven't heard of any change to that unless someone on here has more up to date info?

My recommendation is you research this a bit more...

There are numerous publicly available reports on the water quality at Wabamun and the ones the year after the spill pretty much showed that the spill was not a factor anymore. There are still slightly higher amounts of PAH in the sediment compared to other lakes but that is because of the coal in the area and the coal burning in the nearby plant and it was that way before the spill as well.

I believe the lake remained zero retention for the first few years just in case but then it was later left zero retention because it was considered a trophy fishery and due to its close proximity to the city.

From one of the sources you can find, from 2008

Quote:

At present the fishery is “catch and release” in an effort to increase fish populations which have fallen due to over fishing.
When speaking with the bio he told me the lake would never be opened because it wouldn't be able to sustain the pressure and remain a trophy fishery. Since it isn't really a trophy fishery anymore maybe that attitude will change and tags will be implemented. That won't happen until they are sure there is proper recruitment first which they already had signs of 2 years ago but I am sure they want even more data before they consider it.

burbotman 11-23-2017 07:53 PM

Is the video of the giant pike ready yet?

I enjoy seeing your vids looking forward to seeing the big pike

NSR Fisher 11-23-2017 08:03 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a87nQfFIO_s

It's not quite the giants you used to get back in 2011 but she's big for what I'm used to nowadays!

Hoping to get an even bigger one this ice season :-)

burbotman 11-23-2017 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NSR Fisher (Post 3674293)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a87nQfFIO_s

It's not quite the giants you used to get back in 2011 but she's big for what I'm used to nowadays!

Hoping to get an even bigger one this ice season :-)

Very healthy looking fish. Thanks for sharing the vid