Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What do you collect? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=390813)

Skoaltender 11-21-2020 04:17 PM

What do you collect?

For those who have collections or are into collecting certain things what cool things do you guys collect?

As a youngster Growing up in Canada I obviously collected hockey cards n whatnot but nothing special.

My father has a collection of Oilers memorabilia, the coolest of which is a game used Oilers puck from the WHA days signed by Gretz in his first season.

HeavyD111 11-21-2020 04:27 PM

I used to collect Hartford Whaler stuff when I could find it, but once the team sold hockey was never the same for me.

Now I collect car related things, license plates from the US, old ads, and books on automotive history, trsvel rt 66, etc..

oldgutpile 11-21-2020 04:37 PM

sporting collection

As in "if I cant kill it and cook it, it aint sporting"!
I particularly enjoy collecting older style guns (thanks to Catnhat's bad influence) such as British shotguns, and double rifles. It's a real thrill to be able to take these antiques out in the field and put them back into use for which they were designed!
Also enjoy collecting hardcopy hunting books (aprox 350 now) from some of the late greats like "pondoro" Taylor, Corbett, Hunter, Ruark, and others.

Jigsalot 11-21-2020 04:38 PM

I still collect PSA graded hockey cards. Been doing it for many years. And fishing lures 😬

Jim 11-21-2020 05:27 PM

Collecting

Pre 1980 hockey cards

Grizzly Adams 11-21-2020 05:29 PM

Rocks and fossils. Pack horse paintings, books too, I hate to admit. :lol:

Grizz

jstubbs 11-21-2020 05:37 PM

Stickers. Absolutely love getting stickers from anywhere and everywhere, but especially ones when I travel somewhere. Get one from a local business that has the location they’re from (resort towns are obviously great for this). Makes great momentos for looking back on and remembering good times.

That, and trucks. Except it’s more of a revolving door collection as I only have so much space. And money. And patience from family for owning a multitude of janky pick up trucks.

Frank Grimes 11-21-2020 05:37 PM

Well I never really collected much in the past,
But in 2020 I seem to have started collecting debt. I never really thought so many things could go wrong, don’t think there is anything else left to need repair or replacing.

Ranets 11-21-2020 05:46 PM

Assorted antiques I am a big proponent of if we don't watch the past we won't have a future.

cody j 11-21-2020 05:55 PM

I like good books, one of my exgirlfriends used to collect fat.

savageguy model 111 11-21-2020 05:56 PM

Buy and sell cast iron and fireking cook wear. Etc.

hilt134 11-21-2020 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Grimes (Post 4272347)
Well I never really collected much in the past,
But in 2020 I seem to have started collecting debt. I never really thought so many things could go wrong, don’t think there is anything else left to need repair or replacing.

I too collect debt. Also coins. I try to get the full range whenever i visit a country. Im also trying to get all the diffrent kings and queens of canadian money. Not to serious but as it comes up I snag them

Jigsalot 11-21-2020 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim (Post 4272333)
Pre 1980 hockey cards

Mostly 70’s and 60’s
Also have a shot glass from all the countries I have been to. Must have about 30. Why I have no idea. Lol.

Loggrlee 11-21-2020 06:06 PM

cross country skis and boots. in late june when people are moving I get them for free. haven't figured out how to sell them in winter yet.

RandyBoBandy 11-21-2020 06:25 PM

Just looking around me...it looks like I'm collecting empty Jack Daniels bottles :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Skoaltender 11-21-2020 06:37 PM

Some pretty unique things posted already, myself I’m looking to get into something on the cheaper side to collect as a hobby.

Keep em comin!

buckbrush 11-21-2020 06:39 PM

This should be a good thread.

Ken collects ford trucks...

I collect shed antlers, buffalo skulls, fossils and other artifacts I find out on my hikes.

Skoaltender 11-21-2020 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim (Post 4272333)
Pre 1980 hockey cards

I grew up in the 80’s but my father/uncle passed on their collection to me when I was younger. Lost over 15,000 cards when our septic backed up in our basement.

My father in-law who passed away when my wife was young had a MASSIVE record collection. All sealed and original. Mostly rock but other genres mixed in as well. Estimated over 500 wrapped records in their basement, trying to convince the mother in law to get it appraised and insured.

Austin 11-21-2020 06:49 PM

I started collecting comics when I was 11 years old for 5 or 6 years. All of my allowance went into these and Mad Magazines... picked it up again in 2000 and sold them just before the pandemic hit. My favourite was a 1940’s Western series Red Ryder... something like 151 comic issues in the run.

Oh and bellybutton lint. lol

hunterngather 11-21-2020 06:56 PM

Old tobacco tin.
Also old tin advertising signs.

I miss Canadian Pickers. Loved that show.

Mr Conservation 11-21-2020 06:58 PM

Patches - fire department, search and rescue, game warden / conservation officer / park rangers, and have a few police patches.

Mr Conservation

catnthehat 11-21-2020 06:59 PM

I am more of what I call an accumulator than a collector:medium-smiley-035:
My wife says I collect junk however.:sHa_sarcasticlol:
Cat

-JR- 11-21-2020 07:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Been collecting money since I was 12. Have a very hard time spending it .
Because of this sickness I never had a loan and paid cash for every think I own.
I also have a few hockey cards I saved from the first pack of gum I bought .
Just might part with them if I get a good offer.

Jigsalot 11-21-2020 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Conservation (Post 4272406)
Patches - fire department, search and rescue, game warden / conservation officer / park rangers, and have a few police patches.

Mr Conservation

Cool. I forgot to mention that. It’s bizzare what people collect. I have a ton of fishing gear and lure patches. Probably 90 percent of them were free by emailing the company. Another one I have no idea why I do it. Lol

calgarychef 11-21-2020 07:04 PM

I collect junk mostly.

NW Tradegunner 11-21-2020 07:12 PM

I collect miniature anvils. They range in size from 1/2” to 4” long from horn to heel. Some being earrings, salesman samples, game pieces, jewelry maker’s, wedding souvenirs, Avon aftershave bottles, and some are just plain handmade decorations.

Zip 11-21-2020 07:45 PM

I was doing pretty good when I was collecting Hats, which started in the 70’s..I had big boxes full of hats over time. The best ones I collected from my years of living in Inuvik as my job had me flying all over the NWT, that gave me access to many different hats/cultures and emblems. Awesome hats, I had just shy of 200 of just those. Fast forward to 4 years ago..we move homes and I find that mice had gotten all through my boxes of hats...I trashed a lot of hats that day...still brings a tear to my eye just writing about it.
Anyway...now I collect firewood..every darn winter!
Zip:)

tirebob 11-21-2020 08:04 PM

Oh man... I am a collector of many things. When something catches my fancy I tend to get obsessed and get heavily involved.

I have quite an extensive collection of pocket knives, mostly traditional antique slipjoints with a huge subset of handmade miniatures as small as a dime.

I have a decent collection of British commonwealth stamps focusing heavily on Canadian stamps back to the mid-1800’s.

I have an LP album collection of over 500 albums going back to the 50’s.

I collect antique and vintage decks of playing cards also going back into the 1800’s with a large subset of ww2 pinups etc.

Antique woodworking tools that I both collect and use.

All kinds of books as well both old and new.

I have a bunch of Canadian and British coins going back into the 1700’s

Scotch (always changing haha)

I am always on the lookout for odd things that just catch my attention and have the beginnings of other collections as well that have not morphed into obsessions yet. Thankfully I have a understanding yet vigilant wife who do not let me get away with hoarding and is very demanding that everything is organized and properly displayed or it doesn’t belong! :lol:

sweld 11-21-2020 08:05 PM

Cerb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surly 11-21-2020 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweld (Post 4272465)
Cerb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, me too!

As for the OP - stamps and coins, also grudges.