Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Browning X Bolt (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=25739)

Tommygun 01-13-2009 01:07 PM

Browning X Bolt

I know the Browning X-Bolt is still pretty new out there, I bought one this fall (my first rifle) in .280 and I figured I would give you my 2 cents on it.

First off it is the medalion model and I think it looks quite slick with the nice finish and metal engravings.

As for shooting it, all I can say is that it is a dream!! The trigger pull is set at 3.5 pounds and barley feels like it is there. The recoil is quite managable in part to the nice butt pad that comes on it. I was able to shoot 1" groups at a hundred no problem. The polimer magazine comes in and out of the rifle really easily and the inline feed system is quite nice. The rifle is really light to carry, and days of hiking around dutch creek for elk I barley noticed I was carrying it.

I shot 2 mulie does with it this year and they didn't even take a step.

Although I am kind if inexperienced in rifle shooting, I would not hesitate to reccomend this rifle to anyone.

I cant wait to start reloading and really testing the ability of the .280.

Cheers

ABolt270 01-13-2009 01:24 PM

I was going to buy a Xbolt 270win this year but when I held the gun I found it to be a bit small and light. The recoil pad seemed small on my shoulder. I really liked how the clip fitted though. Might be just me but I'm not a huge guy and if it felt small on me what about those bigger guys.I found the bolt to be small too. I love brownings and my Abolt never fails me, but I wonder if the new trend towards slimming down rifles is a good thing.

sbtennex 01-13-2009 03:56 PM

I'm not small. Not real big, but still about 6 ft and 185 very solid lbs. and I have fairly long arms (32" bow draw before they messed all that up with o/draw.) The X-Bolt I found to "feel" great, swell thickness fit me perfectly, balance was very good and comparing to a new Model 70 was a way nicer rifle. That's just me, though, but the finish IMO was better, the lines were way cleaner and I'd take the X-Bolt over the "new" Winchester any day.....and I'm a Tikka guy. Wouldn't hesitate for a minute to weigh the X to pretty well anything new out there if I were considering a new one. But that's just me....

Tommygun 01-14-2009 02:03 PM

I have to agree with sbtennex, I am 6'1" and 200 lbs. I found the gun to feel and fit quite nicely. A few of my friends also commented on how nice it felt when they brought it up to thier shoulder. The other positive note was how good it was carrying it through the bush. It was light, and easy to carry through thicker stuff.

hunter4life 01-14-2009 07:19 PM

This was perfect, I just got in the door from looking my next gun, the Browning x bolt medallion, 7mm mag. I was stopping in here to ask for some reviews from some of you guys but it looks like you answered my question, back to the store on pay day I guess, thanks.

Tommygun 01-15-2009 08:38 AM

Glad the posts could help, It is definitly a decision you wont regret. What were you thinking for optics?

rugatika 01-15-2009 08:52 AM

beauty

I was looking at one in 300wsm medallion this fall and almost had a horse deal worked out trading in a couple other rifles, but it just wasn't good enough for me so I left it. I might have to look at one in 30/06 although the 280 intrigues me as well.

Selkirk 01-15-2009 01:25 PM

Good Thread, Tommygun!

Hey there Tommygun ... Welcome to the Alberta Outdoorsmen Forums :wave:

You beat me to it :cry:. I was thinking of starting a similar thread on the Browning X-Bolt myself ... sort of a 'Product Review' thread with a Poll. I may still do it, but we'll see how this thread goes first ... so far it's doin' just fine! :)

I don't own an X-Bolt, but I've seen and held a few. Herez my input . . .
What I Like about the X-Bolt :
- Adjustible 'Feather Trigger' ... that's one sweet trigger set-up!
- 60 degree bolt lift.
- Bolt unlock button.
- Top-tang safety.
- Free-floating barrel.
- 'Inflex' recoil pad.
- Flush-fitting, detachable, rotary magazine.
- 'Dura-Touch' Coating on the composite stock.
- Rifle weight.
- Overall look and feel of the rifle.
What I Don't like :
- No laminate stock option.
- Some folks might not like the 26" barrels on the 7mm Rem. Mag. & 300 Win. Mag.
- Hmmm ... I can't think a of any other dislikes right now.

Also Of note ... I see that 'Field & Stream' gave the X-Bolt their 2008 "Best of the Best" award; http://www.browning.com/library/info...ail.asp?id=135

For further reference, here's the Browning link to their X-Bolt rifles; http://www.browning.com/products/cat...23B&catalog_=B

It would be nice to get some more input from all you X-Bolt owners out there. Come-on guys ... give us yer two cents!

WSM 01-15-2009 06:30 PM

Stainless 300wsm x-bolt

I just got back from the range. What a sweet gun. I was getting 1/2" grouping at 100 yards. The recoil pad is amazing. You can hardly fell the kick of the 300 wsm. Can't wait for sheep season.

ABolt270 01-16-2009 08:09 PM

has anyone had problems fiting a scope on this because there is only one set of rings made only for this gun.

MK2750 01-16-2009 08:58 PM

Great Looking Rifles

2 Attachment(s)
I really like these two rifles with the rise in the stock but they seem to be only availiable in 325 wsm:(

Attachment 9489

Attachment 9490

Selkirk 01-16-2009 10:30 PM

X-Bolt Hunter

My choice would be the X-Bolt Hunter. It's more 'hunting' oriented (matt barrel & satin stock) . . .

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...es/035208m.jpg

As a bonus, it's available in '16' different cartridges; http://www.browning.com/products/cat...35&type_id=208

WSM 01-17-2009 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ABolt270 (Post 247701)
has anyone had problems fiting a scope on this because there is only one set of rings made only for this gun.

I bought the Leupold mounts and rings. Had no problem mounting them.

elkhunter11 01-17-2009 11:15 AM

I am glad that Browning finally abandoned the overly complicated magazine system used on the A-Bolt.

Pathfinder76 01-17-2009 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 247934)
I am glad that Browning finally abandoned the overly complicated magazine system used on the A-Bolt.

and put a simpler, cheaper detachable magazine on an over engineered, ugly, over priced rifle.:confused:

LivetoHunt 01-17-2009 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WSM (Post 247929)
I bought the Leupold mounts and rings. Had no problem mounting them.

I know browning has there own rings and bases for the Xbolt but I have not seen any leupold rings and bases that are made four the Xbolt because it has for screws in each base regular bases wont fit. Can you tell me where you got the leupold ones and maybe a picture.

elkhunter11 01-17-2009 04:38 PM

Quote:

and put a simpler, cheaper detachable magazine on an over engineered, ugly, over priced rifle.
Well it's a start.First simplify the magazine system,then simplify the other components and reduce the amount of parts used to build the gun.Since there are less parts,and less labor required,the gun will be cheaper to build,and can be sold at a lower price.

Pathfinder76 01-17-2009 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 248045)
Well it's a start.First simplify the magazine system,then simplify the other components and reduce the amount of parts used to build the gun.Since there are less parts,and less labor required,the gun will be cheaper to build,and can be sold at a lower price.

Or just buy a Remington.

WSM 01-18-2009 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LivetoHunt (Post 247999)
I know browning has there own rings and bases for the Xbolt but I have not seen any leupold rings and bases that are made four the Xbolt because it has for screws in each base regular bases wont fit. Can you tell me where you got the leupold ones and maybe a picture.

I got them at Wholesale sports in Calgary over the holidays. They mounted perfect with no problems.

willy11 01-18-2009 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck (Post 247990)
and put a simpler, cheaper detachable magazine on an over engineered, ugly, over priced rifle.:confused:

or buy an under engineered ugly way over-priced remington, with a floor plate mag or the noisiest detach on the market.

elkhunter11 01-18-2009 03:23 PM

Quote:

or buy an under engineered ugly way over-priced remington, with a floor plate mag or the noisiest detach on the market.
A simpler rifle with less parts has less chance of mechanical issues.That could be why many military and police sniper teams used Remington actions,instead of A-bolts.The A-Bolt does have a floor plate as well,but it is simply extra parts that aren't required.My own Remington detachable magazine system is properly fitted,and it is not at all noisy.If Browning thought that a floorplate over a detachable magazine was still a good idea,they would have used it on the X-Bolt.:p

Pathfinder76 01-18-2009 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willy11 (Post 248766)

Detachable magazines suck, and if by ugly you mean American made clean lines built in steel then OK.

GUNRACK 01-18-2009 03:47 PM

After holding and bringing it up to my shoulder, i had to have one! Picked up the x-bolt stainless stalker 300wsm over the holidays:d this week i bought a leupold vx-l 3.5x10x50 (e-bay 644.99:d) can't wait to get it mounted and head out to the range.

willy11 01-18-2009 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck (Post 248770)
Detachable magazines suck, and if by ugly you mean American made clean lines built in steel then OK.

But still over-priced.

elkhunter11 01-18-2009 03:57 PM

Quote:

But still over-priced.
A 700 SPS overpriced?

Pathfinder76 01-18-2009 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willy11 (Post 248783)
But still over-priced.

Just picked one up for $550. New. So no.

LongDraw 01-18-2009 04:12 PM

Seems that Chuck has not drank the Browning kool-aid?

elkhunter11 01-18-2009 04:31 PM

Personally,I shoot Browning shotguns,so for me it is not a case of not liking Browning.I just don't like the A-Bolt design.

Pathfinder76 01-18-2009 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LongDraw (Post 248793)
Seems that Chuck has not drank the Browning kool-aid?

Oh but I have. Smart enough not to go back for seconds though.

Pathfinder76 01-18-2009 05:01 PM

Now savage bolt gun Kool-Aid. That stuff looks and smells bad from across the room. Not necessary to try that awful stuff.:D