Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   sinker molds in Edmonton? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=425322)

catnthehat 09-16-2023 07:27 AM

sinker molds in Edmonton?

Howdy!
Any stores selling sinker molds in Edmonton or should I just mail order them ?
I checked both Cabellas and the Fishing Hole websites but couldn't find any molds!:confused:
I'd like to cast some late anchors for the Athabasca, 1.5 or 2oz.
Cat

Smoky buck 09-16-2023 07:32 AM

Odds are you are SOL local

Lure making.com will have what you need they are in Ontario

The other option is make your own which is not hard

catnthehat 09-16-2023 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoky buck (Post 4661262)
Odds are you are SOL local

Lure making.com will have what you need they are in Ontario

The other option is make your own which is not hard

Thanks Smoky buck!:)
Cat

Smoky buck 09-16-2023 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 4661270)
Thanks Smoky buck!:)
Cat

No problem if you are thinking of making your own let me know as I know a few ways to do it

Bushleague 09-16-2023 01:01 PM

My mother, who doesnt fish a lick but was a misionary kid and grew up in the jungles of Peru, told me that the natives would use a large spoon as a mold for making sinkers.

I've tried it a few times and it does work, incidently, the shape ends up rather close to the flatened sinkers that have become popular with catfishermen in more recent years.

Smoky buck 09-16-2023 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bushleague (Post 4661340)
My mother, who doesnt fish a lick but was a misionary kid and grew up in the jungles of Peru, told me that the natives would use a large spoon as a mold for making sinkers.

I've tried it a few times and it does work, incidently, the shape ends up rather close to the flatened sinkers that have become popular with catfishermen in more recent years.

Another simple one I have done is used a bucket full of sand

southernman 09-16-2023 08:21 PM

Cat,
Come over and borrow mine, I have several here in fort mac.
I give you a text. as i need my .35 cal back and moulds,

WayneChristie 09-17-2023 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoky buck (Post 4661360)
Another simple one I have done is used a bucket full of sand

I used plaster of paris in a soupcan . I made a wooden pyramid sinker and used it for a mold, worked so well I did a second size, they just happen to work out to 7 and 9 ounce sinkers. useful when we actually get a runoff :angry3:

Smoky buck 09-17-2023 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WayneChristie (Post 4661474)
I used plaster of paris in a soupcan . I made a wooden pyramid sinker and used it for a mold, worked so well I did a second size, they just happen to work out to 7 and 9 ounce sinkers. useful when we actually get a runoff :angry3:

Yup plaster of paris is another option just make sure is good and dry before pouring or it may crack. I have done 2 piece wooden molds too. Guys also use high temperature silicone. I even poured a few in sand holes well camped on the river

I didn’t care about how they looked as I was doing it for bar fishing salmon or sturgeon in B.C..

If you just need a hunk of lead with a line tie it’s easy but if a guy wants pretty and long lasting an aluminum CNC mold is worth it

honker_clonker 09-17-2023 07:41 PM

Pretty sure TFH south Edmonton had a 1-3 last time I was in there. Keyword search sinker mold or do it corporation on their website.

catnthehat 09-22-2023 06:35 PM

I ended up borrowing a bank sinker mold off Southernman, and castca mess of molds from a few teaspoons, they should work perfect .
I will try them out tonight:)
Cat