Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Information on gun auctions in Alberta (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=139546)

millsboy79 07-03-2012 03:11 PM

Information on gun auctions in Alberta

I am new to the gun world and am noticing that used firearms are selling for pretty much retail prices so just starting out seems to be an expensive commitment. I found someone on another site that was going to sell me a shotgun they got at an estate auction. I asked him for information on auctions but I guess he did not want to share his meal ticket.

I was hoping to find out if anyone on here is more forthcoming on locations for gun specific auctions or at least an auction that has firearms as a part of it.

I do enjoy a good auction so ANY information would be greatly appreciated

Thanks for your consideration

gitrdun 07-03-2012 03:22 PM

Auction Depot has a banner in the buy/sell section of this forum.

http://www.auctioncalgary.com/FIREARMS.html

Redneck Renagade 07-03-2012 03:26 PM

Most of the gun auctions I have been to have had ridiculous pricing on guns. They have been the same as new or more. My recommendation would be to watch the buy and sell and watch for a good deal. Another ideas would do research on a gun you want find some pricing on it then watch at auctions for what you want

leo 07-03-2012 03:30 PM

Most auction houses also apply a buyers premium. Your $100 bargain will be closer to $ 130 after taxes and auction fee's.

millsboy79 07-03-2012 03:37 PM

Agreed

Quote:

Originally Posted by leo (Post 1504882)
Most auction houses also apply a buyers premium. Your $100 bargain will be closer to $ 130 after taxes and auction fee's.

I have definitely been to the auctions where there was WAY more money that brains, but at least it is something fun to do with the possibility of a good deal. A lot of auctions would also be older gun (not that that is a bad thing) just more opportunity to find an abused gun.

Grizzly Adams 07-03-2012 05:30 PM

Haynes in Red Deer has the only REAL gun auction in Alberta. :lol: Always an all day affair and big crowds. If you're looking for something particular, you'll likely find it, but don't plan on a bargain, by the time the fees are tallied.

Grizz

sillyak 07-03-2012 06:09 PM

I would only suggest going to gun auctions if you are looking for something rare and you know your prices.

If you just want a gun for hunting, stay far away.

It doesn't have to cost a lot to get into the game. Buy a Savage Stevens 200, a good set of Talley or Leupold rings and bases and a Leupold rifleman. If you look for sales you could get that setup for a hair over $500 and you would have a reliable, accurate hunting rig that will last for decades. Of course it won't look pretty, but who cares in the bush?

Sushi 07-03-2012 07:55 PM

an idea for you since you are in Calgary: watch the discount racks and used selection at Canadian Tire on MacLeod Trail/Southland.

millsboy79 07-04-2012 11:54 AM

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sushi (Post 1505341)
an idea for you since you are in Calgary: watch the discount racks and used selection at Canadian Tire on MacLeod Trail/Southland.

Is this the only Canadian Tire that has that?

Grizzly Adams 07-04-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by millsboy79 (Post 1506199)
Is this the only Canadian Tire that has that?

I recall when every sporting goods store had a good selection of used rifles. Doesn't seem to be that way anymore. Westcountry Sports in Sundre usually has a few and Dave is good to deal with.

Grizz

millsboy79 07-04-2012 04:45 PM

Checked it out

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sushi (Post 1505341)

Just wanted to say thanks again, am already searching the drawers for all the Canadian tire money I have just kinda discarded. Am thinking this is the ticket.

wolf308 07-04-2012 06:09 PM

x2 or 3 to bud haynes.

ive picked up 4 good deals on 4 awesome guns(accurate, looking-almost-new and in good shape,still have 3 of them),but the last time i went there it was a joke. people were paying ,oh boy they were paying. i left early.

Sushi 07-04-2012 10:37 PM

Good luck on your quest to find some firepower.

BDL 07-05-2012 05:11 AM

You can try proline shooters as well they have used firearms there as well.

simoncriss 07-05-2012 10:43 PM

the auction in Wainwright doesn't have a buyers fee, they are having a huge gun & militaria auction in August.