Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   VX-3 vs Zeiss Conquest vs Nikon Monarch (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=124141)

sns2 03-03-2012 06:27 PM

VX-3 vs Zeiss Conquest vs Nikon Monarch

Hi Guys,

My buddy and I went into Cabelas today to buy a scope. His price range was $500 give or take a few bucks, but he said he wanted something a little more powerful than a 3x9. I told him he should be comparing Cabelas 50th Anniversary Leupold VX3 3.5x10x40 ($500), Minox ZA5 3x15x42 ($530), Nikon Monarch 3x12x42 ($530), and the Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40. Anyhow, he looked at the first three, and right away the guy talked him out of the Minox, which I didn't agree with, but whatever. The Nikon also had nice glass, and it had an adjustable objective too. The guy at the counter, who was very helpful btw, told him that the parallax turret was actually a ballistic drop turret that he could program with load data on the Nikon website. I said, "Are you sure?" Dude said, "Absolutely." My buddy was down on that because it would cost him an extra $100 bucks or so from Korth for a custom turret if he went with the VX3. The fellas behind the counter then gave him an extra $80 off because it was the last scope in the store of that model. Bonus!. My buddy thinks this is Christmas morning and whips out his Visa.

He gets home and goes on Nikon's website to enter his load data like buddy told him, and he finds out that the turret is for parallax.

I told him he should reconsider the issue and make a call between the Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40 or the Leupold VX3 3.5x10x40 for the same money.

Do any of you think he should keep the Nikon?

Please give your thoughts if you've had experience with these scopes. My friend will be looking at this as a long-term purchase.

Thanks.

elkhunter11 03-03-2012 06:55 PM

Of the three, I much prefer the Conquest.

leo 03-03-2012 07:08 PM

I can't comment on the Zeiss Conquest objectively because I don't own one, but I would trust EH 11's opinion on the quality. I do have a Nikon monarch as well as several VX3 Leupolds. I think Nikon has the better optical quality, but I much prefer Leupold B&C reticle to the Ballistic reticle of Nikons. Another note to keep in mind, ALL Leupold is life time warranty. Nikon is only 25 years I believe.

Jordan Smith 03-03-2012 07:44 PM

I'd be choosing between the Conquest and the VX3. I'd return the Monarch.

Killymagee 03-03-2012 08:29 PM

My vote would be for a Vortex viper hs, they are around 500 as well. You also get a zero stop for you elevation turret like the pst line.

Squeeker 03-03-2012 11:30 PM

I have two of these scopes with the BDC reticle. That is what buddy was talking about in the store and yes, you can go online and there is a program for tuning it. Really accurate program and has never failed me, fully tuneable and can print drop tables and all sorts of stuff with it. Side focus is a really nice feature. Glass is very good in low light/ darkness and hardly fogs up... ever. I can install this scope on any caliber of rifle and use the software. If it is the BDC reticle I say tell him to keep it, if it's duplex reticle I say nahhhh. IMHO -SQK

HunterDave 03-04-2012 01:58 AM

I can only comment on the VX3 vs the Conquest. Both are very good hunting scopes but I like my Conquest a little better.

I can't comment on the Minox or the Nikon scopes to compare to.

insurgus 03-04-2012 10:48 AM

My vote is on the vx3. Take them outside and see what looks eat. I've got leupold glass on all my hardware so I'll be a bit bias.