Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   2022 Best Sausage! (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=418563)

75ft Arborist 12-25-2022 03:30 PM

2022 Best Sausage!

With 2022 coming to an end I'm wondering who has Alberta best Wild Game sausage?
During the off season is a great time for many of us to take our trim in to get made into some delicious sausages.

What was your favourite and why?

This season my favourite has been the Garlic Coil and Pizza Pepperoni from Spragg's Meat's.

JohnB 12-25-2022 04:18 PM

H&M meats in GP made the best everything. Closed now so tried making my own. Made farmer sausage following the recipe below. Did add some garlic and sugar and it turned out great.

https://youtu.be/87I93S15I6A

LJalberta 12-25-2022 04:18 PM

I’ve found Real Deal meats to be the best I’ve found in years.

BEL 12-25-2022 05:09 PM

MeatChop out of Penhold makes real good smokies, cheese and or Jalapeno. Duncan Henry out of Rimbey does a pretty good job also. BEL

IR_mike 12-25-2022 06:21 PM

Hamels Cold Lake did a good job on garlic and garlic/cheese moose this year.

58thecat 12-26-2022 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IR_mike (Post 4593697)
Hamels Cold Lake did a good job on garlic and garlic/cheese moose this year.

Yup, all my trimmings go there for sausage, smokies, grind etc
Never let me down in the past 20 years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newdrenalin 12-26-2022 08:53 AM

Looking to make my own this year. Got everything i need but great recipes. I think I'm going to start with Duncan Henry's youtube videos.

Peebles 12-27-2022 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newdrenalin (Post 4593763)
Looking to make my own this year. Got everything i need but great recipes. I think I'm going to start with Duncan Henry's youtube videos.

http://meatsandsausages.com/

The articles are a bit disconnected, but all the information to make excellent home sausages is here from theory to recipes. This is the English version of the venerable Wedliny Domowe site. The trickiest part is stuffing them so be patient with yourself as you learn your equipment and technique.

No strong opinions on the main thread topic since I usually do it myself, but I've used K&K/Krause's Custom Processing for moose and it was nice.

aragor764 12-27-2022 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newdrenalin (Post 4593763)

Same here, Duncan is the man! He is my go-to channel for sausages now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pekan 01-06-2023 11:29 AM

Make your own. I do this every year.

There's a store in Calgary and Edmonton called CTR. They sell all the hardware needed, plus great seasoning/binder mix. They even have gluten free if you need that. They also give you 15% off if you're an iHunter app user. I usually go with mild Italian seasoning and Oktoberfest.

Sausage casings and fat I get from Spraggs meats in Calgary.
It's not that difficult to do a passable job.

One thing I did this year was leave some of the sausage meat uncased. My wife will often take sausages and remove them from the casing before cooking so it made sense.

poznan 01-06-2023 01:11 PM

ya i make my own too. its too easy and taste amazing

Ronji 01-06-2023 01:26 PM

Sausage

Does Victoria still make good sausage? Its been awhile since I last tried it.

Big Dog Al 01-06-2023 03:25 PM

Al at Victoria still makes the best garlic sausage I found to date. Breakfast sausage patties are a hit as well.

Chowdowncowtown 01-09-2023 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pekan (Post 4597471)
One thing I did this year was leave some of the sausage meat uncased. My wife will often take sausages and remove them from the casing before cooking so it made sense.

Sausage patties are a nice option for this too, just pop them on some wax/parchment/butcher paper on a baking sheet and freeze them, then bag them up (or vac seal if you prefer) for storage.

jafo 01-09-2023 04:52 PM

Heisler General Store makes excellent sausage, give them a try. Brian and staff are super to deal with.

Maghunter 01-09-2023 04:57 PM

My home made is still the best. I make coil garlic ham sausage, salami, summer sausage, cheese smokies, and pepperoni. All my friends love them all and keep coming back for more. I started out using spice packs, but now have my own recipes and save a lot of money buying bulk spices.

waldedw 01-09-2023 04:59 PM

Love the sunny brook sausage from La Crete, it's as close to my home made sausage as I can get without the mess.
In fact I'm having some tonight for supper with some homemade sauerkraut and garlic mashed potatoes.

finner-duramax 01-13-2023 11:39 AM

I’ve tried several different meat shops over the years, the best I’ve found is quality country meats. Best pepperoni and smokies I’ve had!

saskbooknut 01-13-2023 03:22 PM

My wife decided that she wasn't fond of sausage skins.
I pack a good size sausage into a ziplock snack bag (cheap bags from Superstore).
It's not difficult to form a sausage with zero air in the bag, and line them up on a tray for the freezer.
You can turn out these skinless sausages from the bag to the BBQ easily.

old dog 02-01-2023 08:46 AM

We always make some of our own and we also get some made up from Paolinis here in Calgary. We always get some smokies and summer sausage made up. This year I have enjoyed the whitetail ones more than the elk ones. But all r great

alpineguy 02-01-2023 08:57 PM

Best is still our homemade.........and I know what's in it!!!

dshot 02-02-2023 09:09 AM

Used Spragg's 2 seasons in a row now.

Quick turnaround and the packaging is top notch.

Smoked garlic coil, brats, jalapeño cheese smokies all have been top notch.

-JR- 02-02-2023 03:27 PM

Has anyone come across a place that makes something in a hotdog size
I find smokies are just to thick and pepperoni is to tin .

owlhoot 02-03-2023 10:05 AM

Mettwurst

I grab a ring or two of Dried Mettwurst at The Wooden Shoe European Deli in Lethbridge everytime I go thru the city, It's a real nice dried sausage, it's pork but you could mix in some wild game. I don't know if they do custom orders.