Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   TFH Wall to Wall Sale (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=349316)

CBintheNorth 08-10-2018 10:59 PM

TFH Wall to Wall Sale

Anyone know when it starts?
I've got quite the shopping list this year.:)

smitty9 08-10-2018 11:10 PM

Pretty much always the 3rd week of August. I'm betting 22nd to 25th.

RavYak 08-11-2018 12:03 PM

I think it is that weekend if I remember right, maybe starts the Friday? Dates were either posted or mentioned last time I was in the store but I knew I wouldn't be around at that time.

smitty9 08-11-2018 12:46 PM

Typically, the sale starts on Wed or Thur, ends Saturday. It usually does not last until Sunday.

Willowtrail 08-11-2018 09:12 PM

It's Wednesday the 22 till Saturday the 25th.

I'll be helping out at both stores this year.

CBintheNorth 08-11-2018 09:56 PM

Thanks guys!

smi_tty 08-12-2018 09:59 PM

What kind of deals are we talking about?????

RavYak 08-12-2018 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smi_tty (Post 3825568)

25% on most things in store, the odd things like electronics might be less and any clearance items and the odd other sale items will be 30-50% off.

smi_tty 08-12-2018 11:07 PM

Sounds like its worth a trip in!

calgarygringo 08-13-2018 06:36 AM

Some stuff is decent priced and some no different than anywhere else that has fishing gear on sale. As always buyer beware.

smitty9 08-13-2018 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calgarygringo (Post 3825643)
Some stuff is decent priced and some no different than anywhere else that has fishing gear on sale. As always buyer beware.

Hmmm. Ok, well, not sure where you're coming from on buyer beware...it's a universal principle, is there a reason you think it especially applies to the TFH wall to wall sale? Most people comparison shop anyways these days, since the internet makes it so easy. The other point of view on buyer beware is about private sales, but TFH is store, with generally a pretty good reputation for customer service so...

'anywhere else that has fishing gear on sale'...yes, I agree that's quite true. Except, there's no predicting when other places are having a sale. In Edmonton, where I live, there's only Cabela's now (no more WS) and a new fly shop (Reid's) in the west end. Neither has predictable sales on stuff I want.

The GREAT thing about TFH wall to wall sale is that I have been able to COUNT on it...for years. Always 3rd week of August. I'd say half my fly rods were bought at this sale because I was able to plan for it. And the do have some smoking good deals on high end stuff; all the good stuff I have was bought at least 40% off. Plus, re-stocking flies, leaders, and tippet etc.

I like supporting other businesses, including the fly shops in Calgary - though, less now that we have Reid's - but none of them have a predictable sale like TFH wall to wall.

smitty9 08-13-2018 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smi_tty (Post 3825568)

Just an aside to piggyback on RavYak's comment; margins on electronics are not huge, so they are typically only 10% (or maybe 15%) off.

There's always a few items that are 40% to 50% off, though it is mostly 20% to 25%.

Nice name. :)

Big Racks 08-13-2018 01:18 PM

Can anyone confirm what items/brands are generally excluded from the sale? I called the South Edmonton store to confirm availability of a Moby net I've had my eye on, and if they were going to be on sale. Had a thought and asked about a couple of Islander reels and spools I purchased a couple of weeks ago, still sitting new in the boxes, and wanted to know if I should be returning them to repurchase at sale time. I was told Islander and Sage were excluded due to manufacturer agreements. That was a little contradictory to what I had seen here so phoned the West Ed store and asked the same question, was told everything, even Islanders, would be on sale.

Don't get me wrong, both fellows I talked to were very friendly and helpful, and took the time to chat with me, but I'm a bit confused by the two different answers from the two different locations.

Can anyone confirm one way or the other?

Poppa 08-13-2018 02:13 PM

Last year I got a smokin' deal with a Shimano Clarus rod on for 40% off. I think I like it even more than my Fenwick. Cousin had a bunch of gear stolen from his truck in Winnipeg (including a St Croix rod and Shimano reel) so we're gonna be doing some re-upping at the sale in a couple weeks!

RavYak 08-13-2018 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Racks (Post 3825874)
Can anyone confirm what items/brands are generally excluded from the sale? I called the South Edmonton store to confirm availability of a Moby net I've had my eye on, and if they were going to be on sale. Had a thought and asked about a couple of Islander reels and spools I purchased a couple of weeks ago, still sitting new in the boxes, and wanted to know if I should be returning them to repurchase at sale time. I was told Islander and Sage were excluded due to manufacturer agreements. That was a little contradictory to what I had seen here so phoned the West Ed store and asked the same question, was told everything, even Islanders, would be on sale.

Don't get me wrong, both fellows I talked to were very friendly and helpful, and took the time to chat with me, but I'm a bit confused by the two different answers from the two different locations.

If I remember right Islander reels are exempt. Not many items that fall into that category but I think they are one of them. Not sure about Sage. The answer likely differed because not every employee knows or cares about what does and does not go on sale or for how much(even managers don't know for sure until they get the price lists from head office). At this point in time the employees will just be guessing at what the sales will be same as what we are here(based on knowledge of what has happened in past years).

If you were willing to buy the gear at regular price why be a pain in the you know what and make the store jump through hoops doing a return then repurchasing... If I want sale pricing I wait for an item to go on sale. I don't buy something for more then I am willing to pay and I have never gone back to a store and asked them to give me money back after that fact... Guess that is just the way I think/operate though.

Also a note to people is that TFH does not do returns during the wall to wall sale.

Big Racks 08-13-2018 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavYak (Post 3826088)
If I remember right Islander reels are exempt. Not many items that fall into that category but I think they are one of them. Not sure about Sage. The answer likely differed because not every employee knows or cares about what does and does not go on sale or for how much(even managers don't know for sure until they get the price lists from head office). At this point in time the employees will just be guessing at what the sales will be same as what we are here(based on knowledge of what has happened in past years).

If you were willing to buy the gear at regular price why be a pain in the you know what and make the store jump through hoops doing a return then repurchasing... If I want sale pricing I wait for an item to go on sale. I don't buy something for more then I am willing to pay and I have never gone back to a store and asked them to give me money back after that fact... Guess that is just the way I think/operate though.

Also a note to people is that TFH does not do returns during the wall to wall sale.

I don't recall asking if anyone thought it was a good idea to return/exchange a new item that was gong on sale, only if this particular item may or may not be exempt. Thanks for the info on the sale exemptions, I appreciate the info and it confirms what I suspected. I'm used to most sales exempting some lines, it's not unexpected. I don't mind paying the full price for the items, but if an item can be purchased at 20% off (in this case that would be approximately $300), I'm not independently wealthy enough to ignore those savings, especially when they can then be spent on more items in the store :).

bobalong 08-13-2018 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Racks (Post 3825874)

Sage and Islander are price protected unless the product has been discontinued. I believe at times TFH have given out a
25, 35 etc gift card or 50% of a line with every Sage rod, Islander reel purchased.:):)

calgarygringo 08-14-2018 06:54 AM

Never said anything bad about the sale just there are items that are not as great of a deal as people think as they get caught in the hype. Just like staff used to buy at Cabelas/Bass Pro/WSS sometimes as there sale prices were better than staff pricing at TFH.

And yes I have ran the sale so I do know what it is all about first hand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty9 (Post 3825813)
Hmmm. Ok, well, not sure where you're coming from on buyer beware...it's a universal principle, is there a reason you think it especially applies to the TFH wall to wall sale? Most people comparison shop anyways these days, since the internet makes it so easy. The other point of view on buyer beware is about private sales, but TFH is store, with generally a pretty good reputation for customer service so...

'anywhere else that has fishing gear on sale'...yes, I agree that's quite true. Except, there's no predicting when other places are having a sale. In Edmonton, where I live, there's only Cabela's now (no more WS) and a new fly shop (Reid's) in the west end. Neither has predictable sales on stuff I want.

The GREAT thing about TFH wall to wall sale is that I have been able to COUNT on it...for years. Always 3rd week of August. I'd say half my fly rods were bought at this sale because I was able to plan for it. And the do have some smoking good deals on high end stuff; all the good stuff I have was bought at least 40% off. Plus, re-stocking flies, leaders, and tippet etc.

I like supporting other businesses, including the fly shops in Calgary - though, less now that we have Reid's - but none of them have a predictable sale like TFH wall to wall.

calgarygringo 08-14-2018 06:56 AM

You are correct that is exactly how it works and how they get around it. Especially Sage they are really tight on that policy. Pain in the butt at checkout but it works.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobalong (Post 3826181)
Sage and Islander are price protected unless the product has been discontinued. I believe at times TFH have given out a
25, 35 etc gift card or 50% of a line with every Sage rod, Islander reel purchased.:):)

happyfisher 08-14-2018 10:40 PM

are salt water lures on sale? when the sale happens that is...lol

going to PV mexico so might as well stock up!!

tnx

happy

happyfisher 08-16-2018 09:32 PM

I'll be there Wednesday at 9!!! will there be a line up? should I get there early???? lol

tnx

happy

RavYak 08-16-2018 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happyfisher (Post 3827653)
I'll be there Wednesday at 9!!! will there be a line up? should I get there early???? lol

tnx

happy

People used to line up years ago but with the economy etc in recent years I don't believe many people do anymore.

Willowtrail 08-16-2018 10:19 PM

Talked to one of the Edmonton managers today. Everything in the store will be on sale, nothing protected. I'll be at south Edmonton store 9 am Wednesday, see you there

happyfisher 08-17-2018 12:08 AM

I'm in calgary....but we can still be connected by fishing ESP:bad_boys_20:

smi_tty 08-17-2018 01:25 AM

How are the deals on new reels? Are there some up to 50 percent off? Just trying to figure out if its worth a trip down to the other end of the city. Amazon has some great pricing on reels, but this sale might be a better deal? That and i have been needing to stock up on a thousand jig heads!

yada 08-17-2018 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smi_tty (Post 3827711)
How are the deals on new reels? Are there some up to 50 percent off? Just trying to figure out if its worth a trip down to the other end of the city. Amazon has some great pricing on reels, but this sale might be a better deal? That and i have been needing to stock up on a thousand jig heads!

I think they are normally 25% off but they always have a couple for around 40% if my memory is correct.

Also be careful of reels on amazon. A lot of the "high bearing" reels that are like 50 bucks are complete trash (personal experience). I tend to stick with more well known brands personally.

ghostguy6 08-17-2018 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willowtrail (Post 3827677)
Talked to one of the Edmonton managers today. Everything in the store will be on sale, nothing protected. I'll be at south Edmonton store 9 am Wednesday, see you there

Hopefully I will be dropping by around 4, I need a new trout rod.

smi_tty 08-17-2018 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yada (Post 3827715)
I think they are normally 25% off but they always have a couple for around 40% if my memory is correct.

Also be careful of reels on amazon. A lot of the "high bearing" reels that are like 50 bucks are complete trash (personal experience). I tend to stick with more well known brands personally.

Not looking for a cheapo - I'm looking at getting a namebrand one, but wasnt sire if this sale would have name brand reels on sale.

pinelakeperch 08-17-2018 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smi_tty (Post 3827920)
Not looking for a cheapo - I'm looking at getting a namebrand one, but wasnt sire if this sale would have name brand reels on sale.

I don't recall TFH carrying any reels that weren't name brand. They do have entry level reels, but they're still Shimano, Pflueger, Quantum, etc.

Justfishin73 08-20-2018 08:28 AM

Did I miss this sale--or is it next weekend?