Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   remington vs browning vs savage (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=14358)

tbosch 04-19-2008 01:49 PM

remington vs browning vs savage

I'm looking at buying a new deer/yote hunting rifle, and I want to get the best bang for my buck. I've been looking at the remington 700's the savage 111's, and the browning A-bolt's. My biggest concern is having a nice shooting rifle with a nice trigger that can be set up crisply without replacement. I've shot the A-bolt stalker in 300WM and it's nice when set up properly. I'm interested in the savage accutrigger, but haven't had any first hand experience with them. And i've never shot the 700's either. Does anyone have any input from first hand experience with these 3 and their trigger setups?

Reeves1 04-19-2008 02:07 PM

I do not know sheep sheite from jelly beans, but.....I like how the Browning comes from the factory glass bedded & all the other stuff.
http://www.browning.com/products/cat...35&type_id=012

They also have the new X-Bolt. Haven't heard what they are like though...
http://www.browning.com/products/cat...35&type_id=202

catnthehat 04-19-2008 02:15 PM

Best bang for your buck would be the Stevens 200.
Accurate and cheap....
Cat

tbosch 04-19-2008 02:21 PM

Stevens

Do you know who carries stevens rifles cat?

tbosch 04-19-2008 02:25 PM

Nevermind cat. I see your trying to be a funny guy. I would like to get a decent quality rifle. Any rifle that sells for 349 can't be all that great.

Pioneer2 04-19-2008 02:26 PM

Wholesale Sport's or Russel's...............................Harold shoots MOA and doubles as a canoe paddle! beauty is as beauty does........

Supermag 04-19-2008 04:09 PM

tbosch, that's clearly spoken by someone who has never shot a Stevens/Savage. The Stevens is a no-frills, unattractive gun that is cheap and shoots like a hot damn, generally. It does not have the accutrigger, and the trigger is only OK. You can adjust it somewhat, but is nowhere as good as the accutrigger.

The Savage have the accutrigger, and is still unatractive (with the black synthetic stock), is still cheap, and shoots like a hot damn.

My 12FV shoots 3/4" or better all day long with factory ammo(premium) I get about 1" with the cheap Winchester white box ammo (.223)
Last time I fed it the Hornady Varmint Express ammo, I was shooting 2" groups at 300 meters. It's not pretty, but it is my most accurate gun. They are coming out with more models, some with nice laminate stocks.

Buy one with a heavy barrel and the accutrigger. You won't regret it. Take the money you save and buy a kickass varmint scope.

jrs 04-19-2008 04:13 PM

"tbosch, that's clearly spoken by someone who has never shot a Stevens/Savage. The Stevens is a no-frills, unattractive gun that is cheap and shoots like a hot damn, generally."

X3, two in 223 and one in 270. All shoot sub 1'' at 100 yards with factory ammo.

gube 04-19-2008 07:03 PM

I have two savages which have uncanny accuracy right out of the box. The accu-trigger is one of my favorite features with these rifles. No need for a trigger upgrade.

Pioneer2 04-19-2008 08:07 PM

Who said they didn't shoot read again.They just have crude stocks but are completely utilitarian.I like the old Rem 788 as well and they don't come much plainer than that in wood.Something you don't have to baby in weather or wear.I have a Sav 340 same uses...................this was in fun not slanderous..........Harold

catnthehat 04-19-2008 08:08 PM

The Steven 200 trigger can be tuned, for sure, and in time changed out if prefered to a better aftermarket brand.

Same as the stock.
As far as accuracy and price go, the scope is going to be just as important, if not moreso, than the rifle choice.

A person cannot go wrong with a Stevens rifle and a better quality scope....
Cat

catnthehat 04-19-2008 08:11 PM

For the record, i would also buy a Stevens 200 before a Remngton,
IF I was going to buy a new rifle, which I haven't done ( in a bolt action) ever that I can remember!:D
Cat

Prdtrgttr 04-19-2008 09:04 PM

Remington

I'm a Remington guy, so my nod goes to the Remington. Remington triggers are ok, they can be adjusted, but I wouldn't take one down below 2.5 to 3 lbs. However, I believe the new X mark triggers are even better
IMHO, the 700's just feel better than the other 2 you've mentioned.
Let us know what you decide.

Supermag 04-19-2008 09:30 PM

Easy, Pioneer, I wasn't talking about you. I meant tbosch's comment about a $349 gun being some kind of a joke. :) :lol:

Pioneer2 04-20-2008 07:55 AM

I paid $100 for a used H+R SS in 30-30 as a trainer for my 3 boys first big game rifle to emphasize the importance of making your first shot count.That damn thing with shoot 100 yard groups with all bullets touching on any given day I do my part.Many deer and a large cow moose later it's still a gem and will never be for sale....................Harold *[She ain't pretty ,she just shoots that way!]

tbosch 04-20-2008 08:20 AM

I appreciate all of the input. Very useful information for sure. I wasn't trying to slam the stevens, I just assumed that a 349$ gun would be a bit of a pile. After doing a bit more research it looks like the stevens 200 would be a really good bang for my buck. A wise man once told me that assumtions are the mother of all **** ups. :lol: Now I see why. I'm definitely leaning towards the savage line now. If I save 600 on the gun that leaves me with 900 for a scope........I like where this is headed.:)

Supermag 04-20-2008 12:04 PM

I have one more hot tip for you, tbosch. I see you're in Red Deer. Now, this gun wouldn't be my first choice for coyotes, but you sure could reach out and touch them. The Canadian Tire on the south side of Red Deer made a special purchase of stainless synthetic .270 WSM Savage rifles, complete with the accutrigger and removable mag.

I was there lst week and they still had at least 1. Now here's the good part....

You can get one for $529:love: That's $200 chaper than Backcountry Sports, and $100 cheaper than Wholesale Sports in Edmonton.

I bought one, and so far, I've put 2 boxes of factory ammo through it during my break in procedure. I was getting groups from 3/4" to 1 1/4".

They also had the same guns in .300 WSM, but I don't know if they have any more.

James is the Hunting Manager there......

tbosch 04-20-2008 12:16 PM

270 wsm

Thanks for that info. I'm looking in to that one right now. How do you like the 270 wsm so far? I've been doing some diggin on that cartridge and it looks ballistically( is that a word:) ) really good. I'm wondering how much less the recoil will be compared to my 300 wby.

Supermag 04-20-2008 07:35 PM

I like it so far. It kicks less than my .30-06, and as you mentioned, the ballistics are awesome. It weighs a bit more than my older Savage .30-06 with the synthetic stock, which is good. The -06 kicks like a donkey when I run Hornady Light Mag ammo through it. The power and trajectory of those in 165 gr Interbonds brought down 2 moose, an elk and several deer for me. I only found one bullet in one moose, and It performed like a magazine ad.

I wanted something different. I like a detach mag (-06 had none), I like a flat shooter with lots of punch left at longer range. (just in case) and I wasnted something that kicked a bit less than the -06. Also, I'm usually only getting 1 1/2" groups with my -06, and that's not good enough for me. So far, even afer only 2 boxes, and considering I ran those through a break-in and clean routine, I'm happy with 3/4 to 1 1/4". I know they will get better. My .223 was the same.

I have a Nikon 4-16X42 Monarch with the BDC reticle on its way to me right now. I put a 3-9X40 Legend on it for the initial break in and test because I couldn't stand to leave it in the safe any longer. :lol:

Look at it this way, at $530, if you don't dig it, you won't likely lose any money of you resell it. I buy all my gas at Crappy Tire, so I had a pile of Crappy Tire money. Mine only cost me $324 after I cashed it all in:D

You can't beat that!

tbosch 04-20-2008 08:07 PM

Right on! I'm pretty pumped then. I talked to hamish today and he set it aside for me. Hamish is one he** of a good guy.:lol: I like that it's a heavier gun for sure. It sounds like we might be on to a good thing. I just have to clean out the glove box and console of my huntin truck the console and glove box of my pickup, my wallet, my sock drawer, my junk drawer and behind the fridge.... and I should almost have a free gun with cambodian tire money:lol: .. Thanks for all the info. Muchly appreciated.

Eagle Eye 04-23-2008 07:30 PM

Well tbosch, I too live in Dead Deer. :) I have not posted here before but I visit often.

I have owned a 100 or more rifles over the 35 years I have been shooting and hunting. Have owned lots of Rems, a few Winnies, Weatherby's, one Browning and a couple of Sakos. IMO, if you want the nicest rifle out there and can spare lots of coin, Sako is tough to beat. The Browning are generally expensive but that deal for $530 at Crappy Tire is a good price. I am not a fan of the WSM's in any flavor...been there done that. Went back to the tried and true. But $530 is cheap these days.

IMO, for the best bang for the buck, it is hard to beat a Remington. Regardless of what many will post, they are nice rifles and none have ever failed me for any reason. One has to remember that most custom rifles out there are built on Rem actions or copies thereof. That says a lot. The new Pro-X triggers break like glass with no creap or overtravel that I have ever detected. In standard non-WSM calibres, they feed properly. I never had one that would not shoot 3 rounds into an inch off the bench with reloads. Most have done .5 MOA (or less) with some load development. Remember, I am talking about hunting rifles, not target rigs.

As for models, if I was buying a Remington today that I wanted to last forever, I'd buy a Remington 700 XCR in 30-06, mount a Zeiss Conquest or Leupold VX3 scope in 3-9x40 and go hunting.

Good luck with whatever one you choose and enjoy.

SauceDonkey 04-25-2008 12:50 AM

Remington 700 Sendero II 300 win mag, a bit pricey but she feels nice.

tbosch 04-25-2008 05:08 PM

Well I ended up with a model 16 savage in 270wsm. Took it out yesterday for break in time. it took me 6 shots to get it where I wanted it at 100. Really nice rifle i'd say. The accutrigger is very crisp, and i dont foresee and problems with it. Nice all around gun and calibre. I had it shooting out to 300, and it performs well. Not a lot different than my 300wby except for the recoil.