Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   **** IMPORTANT 2 missing On Coal lake .Important read.***** (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=134126)

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES 05-20-2012 12:57 PM

**** IMPORTANT 2 missing On Coal lake .Important read.*****

A friend of mine on Facebook , has reported that 2 of her friends have gone missing , doesn't sound good , boat was found empty without them in it . They have been missing since Friday at 930 pm. Apparently the RCMP have been out .

I said I'd put this on here for hopes get a few folks out in there boats , maybe we can arrange something tommorow .

I'll be honest and say its probably more like a search for 2 bodies , but perhaps they tipped there boat and are on shore some place .

Pm me if your able to bring your boat and help search for these guys. I've messages her for more info like pictures of each guy , and what they were wearing .

They have pounded several hundred yards of shore line , but it's such a long lake .

More info to come as I get it ......

MoFugger21 05-20-2012 01:00 PM

Terrible.... Hope everything works out BBJ and there is a happy ending to this!

pickrel pat 05-20-2012 01:04 PM

any idea what end of lake? as you say, its a long lake and ill be fishing it tonight in my canoe and will keep my eyes peeled. i will be fishing the southern half.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES 05-20-2012 01:07 PM

More info

South shore Is where there boat was found .
These guys were fishing .

Geezle 05-20-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN (Post 1445979)
South shore Is where there boat was found .
These guys were fishing .

I just forwarded the link to this thread to Lefty-Canuck...pretty sure he's out there today.

bloopbloob 05-20-2012 03:07 PM

I'll be out there tomorrow morning on the south end with my boat. From what I've read, all that has been found is an overturned boat, a floating shoe, and their empty vehicle. As of 15 minutes ago, I heard they are bringing in the dive team, which is obviously not a good sign...

ghostguy6 05-20-2012 03:12 PM

John if you head out there give me a call, I'd be more than happy to come out and look.

Lefty-Canuck 05-20-2012 04:49 PM

I was out there today. 2 police boats, a plane, many people in other boats, kayaks, PWC....quads and ATVs....

Talked to a few of the people there. Supposedly 2 guys went out fishing on Friday....were supposed to be back around 10ish. The boat was found on the South end in the reeds before the spill way and the motor was in gear (I was told this by a couple of folks who were close to one of the missing).

LOTS of people out there....S&R teams. The divers are going to have a tough time. Visibility best I can figure would only be about 2-3 feet where I was wading tops.

Sad story....reminder to be safe and wear your life jackets no matter how close you are to shore or how long you are going to be out on the water.

LC.

great white whaler 05-20-2012 06:32 PM

was there earlier to day ,,i could feel the sadniest ...sounds like a sad story is about to on fould ,,,a wake up call ,,to me :(

Mattattack 05-20-2012 09:42 PM

How deep is the lake? I only fished it once and figured since I saw winterkill it was shallow. Very sad story indeed. I hope they find them soon to put the family's at peace.

qc00 05-20-2012 10:05 PM

doesn't sound good

hope you find them

FishingFrenzy 05-20-2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattattack (Post 1446404)
How deep is the lake? I only fished it once and figured since I saw winterkill it was shallow. Very sad story indeed. I hope they find them soon to put the family's at peace.

Most of the lake is 6-10 feet, there are some deeper holes though. Supposedly 20-30' but im not sure, no fish finder.

Really sad to hear this, another reminder to keep things safe on the water.

Sad story to say the least.

slivers86 05-20-2012 10:17 PM

Unfortunate incident. Hope for the best possible outcome.

Shmag 05-20-2012 10:26 PM

I lost 2 buddies in a very similar story. All i can say is i hope this one has a happy ending.

great white whaler 05-20-2012 10:33 PM

coal lake is 18 km long ,very weedy and muddy water .

sureshot 05-20-2012 10:39 PM

If I had a boat I would be out there helping.

Andy

e40water12 05-20-2012 11:29 PM

RE

Sorry to hear that. I hope things are ok.

YeeHaw 05-21-2012 06:53 AM

Can head out there tomorrow, if they still need ppl.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES 05-21-2012 10:19 AM

So I was talking to my friend , And they said that they need less boats to help the divers make life a little easier . So I think its best bet if you want to help , just simply stay away .

Its a sad story , but had they been wearing life jackets they would likely have been found rather then being recovered .

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...465/story.html

Search continues for missing Coal Lake boaters

By Brent Wittmeier, edmontonjournal.com May 21, 2012 10:02 AM

EDMONTON - Dive teams are continuing a search for a pair of boaters missing since Friday evening on Coal Lake, Wetaskiwin RCMP say.
Police received a report about 3 a.m. Saturday of the two missing men, ages 19 and 26, who had been fishing in a four-metre metal boat about 70 kilometres southeast of Edmonton. Police don’t believe either man was wearing a life-jacket.

Shortly after 9 a.m. on Monday morning, the RCMP recovery team, equipped with sonar and divers, were set to resume their search in a couple of key spots, said Cpl. Kevin Krebs. They were called in on Sunday when the search became a recovery mission.

“Unfortunately we couldn’t finish last night due to the dark,” Krebs said. “Hopefully shortly we can bring it to a successful conclusion for the families.”

Nearly 200 people spent the weekend searching for the men, whose identities have not been released. Both are residents of the Camrose area. Conditions on the lake were calm Sunday, but Krebs said rescue crews responding to the initial report experienced “a snowstorm and wind.”

The men’s capsized boat was recovered Saturday from the weeds on the lake’s shore. Searchers also found a tackle box, clothing and other personal items.

One of the missing men is an avid fisherman who has been on the lake several times, Krebs said Sunday.

“He knew the lake and had been out before. The other one was his friend and I don’t believe he had been out on this lake before,” he said.

More to come ...

bwittmeier@edmontonjournal.com

mea 05-21-2012 08:39 PM

missing boys!

1 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone, I am friends with one of the boys that is missing and I wanted to post something about this!

http://edmonton.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...b=EdmontonHome

Updated: Sun May. 20 2012 18:06:11

Linda Hoang, ctvedmonton.ca

RCMP spent the weekend searching for two boaters who went missing in the area of Coal Lake in the County of Wetaskiwin, south east of Edmonton.

The two men, aged 19 and 26, went fishing on the lake Friday and haven't been seen since.

Police crews, along with dozens of friends and family, spent the weekend searching the lake for the men.

RCMP told CTV News Sunday that the search is now considered a recovery mission.

The two boaters, both from the Camrose area, have been identified by friends as 19-year-old Everett Westerneng and 26-year-old Dallas Simons.

Simons was recently married and has a young son.

Westerneng is a warrant officer with the local cadets.

Both are avid fishermen who spent time in Coal Lake often.

An overturned boat which belonged to one of the men was discovered by police on Saturday along with personal equipment in the water, which police say also belonged to one of the two boaters.

Police don't believe the men were wearing lifejackets.

They say conditions on the lake both Friday and early Saturday were relatively calm.

"So at this point we're not really sure what has happened or what caused the accident on the water," said Cpl. Kevin Krebs with Wetaskiwin RCMP.

Underwater divers were brought in to help the recovery effort Sunday.

Sonar equipment was also brought in to help search the lake.

"Unfortunately the water is very murky. It's next to impossible to see," said Krebs.

"You can't see the bottom at this point. It's extremely challenging for us."

RCMP say the search will continue through Sunday night and be resumed Monday if needed.

I know Everett, who also goes by the name EJ. He has a very extensive set of skills through the air cadet program. He has taken a survival course, in which he was taught how to survive in stressful situations such as this one! I know that the RCMP are considering this a recovery search now, but I am trying to remain hopeful! If anyone is going out to this lake, PLEASE look more along the shore line and in the trees surrounding the lake than actually in the lake itself! The divers can look after that, but I think that they are somewhere in the bush, trying to survive on the minimal equipment that they have, and with potential injuries.

My personal guess, is also that they would be somewhere more along the north shore of the lake. There boat was found closer to the south shore, apparently with the motor still in gear! I don't know what the current is like on this lake, but I think that the boat could have travelled a long way on it's own away from where the boys are! Please, if you will be out there sometime this week, I ask you to keep your eyes open along the shores!!

Thank you!
Megan

Ps. Picture of EJ on the bottom!!

missmyhusband 05-21-2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mea (Post 1447422)

I know Everett, who also goes by the name EJ. He has a very extensive set of skills through the air cadet program. He has taken a survival course, in which he was taught how to survive in stressful situations such as this one! I know that the RCMP are considering this a recovery search now, but I am trying to remain hopeful! If anyone is going out to this lake, PLEASE look more along the shore line and in the trees surrounding the lake than actually in the lake itself! The divers can look after that, but I think that they are somewhere in the bush, trying to survive on the minimal equipment that they have, and with potential injuries.

My personal guess, is also that they would be somewhere more along the north shore of the lake. There boat was found closer to the south shore, apparently with the motor still in gear! I don't know what the current is like on this lake, but I think that the boat could have travelled a long way on it's own away from where the boys are! Please, if you will be out there sometime this week, I ask you to keep your eyes open along the shores!!

Thank you!
Megan

Ps. Picture of EJ on the bottom!!

I hope your optimism rings true! I will be sending as much positive energy that way as I can.

Lefty-Canuck 05-21-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missmyhusband (Post 1447451)
I hope your optimism rings true! I will be sending as much positive energy that way as I can.

X2....I was out there to witness the efforts that people were/are taking to find these 2.....they obviously have an extensive group of family and friends.

LC

madeincanada780 05-22-2012 09:13 AM

Went to Coal last night with my boys to fish the spill way, had no idea what was going on as we chose to avoid the boat launch area where we normally fish as we could see it was packed.

One of the missing's aunts came over and informed us as to what was going on and asked me if I could retreave a shoe for her with my rod....caught the shoe for her and out of respect for them we packed up our gear and left wishing them the best of luck in their search.

Drove by Wetaskiwin R.C.M.P. this morning and looks like they are getting their boat ready to go back out again.

Hoping this has a positive outcome!

great white whaler 05-22-2012 06:38 PM

search as been called of,,,thats one hard lake to search,,its as a under current that pulls south towards the spillway ,,them poor souls are not to far away from there.

Lefty-Canuck 05-22-2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by great white whaler (Post 1448715)
search as been called of,,,thats one hard lake to search,,its as a under current that pulls south towards the spillway ,,them poor souls are not to far away from there.

I waded out in front of the entire spillway on Sunday, looking for any sign of them.....the water level is really down it was at the deepest point was maybe waist deep.....if they are in the water on the South end it would be a really slim chance for them to show up right at the spillway.....too many weeds and logs/debris between the main body of the lake and the spillway.

On an unrelated topic....if you want to fish a spillway area aren't you supposed to be 25m from it?

Hope the Families and Friends get some closure one way or the other....

LC

madeincanada780 05-22-2012 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck (Post 1448883)
On an unrelated topic....if you want to fish a spillway area aren't you supposed to be 25m from it?

LC

Funny that you mention that Lefty....after we left Coal we went to south end of Dried meat lake and there was a sign there stating that.....why no sign at Coal?

And for the record we were up top not down below!

Lefty-Canuck 05-23-2012 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madeincanada780 (Post 1449227)
Funny that you mention that Lefty....after we left Coal we went to south end of Dried meat lake and there was a sign there stating that.....why no sign at Coal?

And for the record we were up top not down below!

First off.....sorry for the minor derail...

I am not sure but I see people fishing the spillway all the time. I was just curious as I know some of tthe southern reservoir spillways are diligently enforced.

I waded out front there and it is barely 3 feet deep there.

LC

madeincanada780 05-23-2012 09:43 PM

Any more news on the search? is it still suspended?

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES 05-23-2012 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madeincanada780 (Post 1450719)
Any more news on the search? is it still suspended?

I believe so , weather is pretty difficult in dealing with what there trying to do . Being into this day 6 I think they will get out once weather is nice and do some searching , other then that I think They will hold off and suspend , dont need anymore accidents .

Its a very sad incident that has happened . Proof that Life Jackets save lives . I think you can be the most optimistic person around , if they were still alive I think they would have been found , there are alot of farms near by , and with the assistance of Aircraft , they would have found something .

Its to bad 2 young guys had to go like this . You gotta feel horrible for there friends , family , and just as a group of outdoorsmen .

madeincanada780 05-24-2012 05:09 AM

I agree BBJ...after seeing the look first hand on the faces of the family and seeing the RCMP boat just sitting in the parking lot in town and the bad weather...you just want to see some closure for these people.

Looks like the weather is gonna clear up today so hopefully they can get back out there this afternoon.