Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Digital Trigger Pull Gauge (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=430344)

Whitetail200 03-28-2024 08:31 PM

Digital Trigger Pull Gauge

I've seen two digital choices for measuring trigger pull weight . Wheeler & Lyman . Anyone familiar with each of these & is their preference if any between the two. One more accurate than the other . I would think they both accomplish the same task . I was told you take 3 readings & then take an average . Any info , recommendations between the two . Thank You

pikergolf 03-28-2024 09:04 PM

For as often as I find finding out trigger pull useful I use a bag of coins. Make a hook out of wire, hang the bag on the wire, stand the rifle up, add coins until the empty rifle goes off. Repeat until you find a weight that regularly trip the trigger and weigh on your reloading scale. Done, and very accurate.

calgarychef 03-28-2024 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pikergolf (Post 4712802)
For as often as I find finding out trigger pull useful I use a bag of coins. Make a hook out of wire, hang the bag on the wire, stand the rifle up, add coins until the empty rifle goes off. Repeat until you find a weight that regularly trip the trigger and weigh on your reloading scale. Done, and very accurate.

That’s a good idea!

fishnguy 03-29-2024 02:42 AM

I have a Wheeler. Honestly, I do not remember why I chose it over Lyman at the time, but I definitely recall doing a lot of reading and Lyman being an “inferior” unit in some regards. What it was, I really do not recall. There are quite a few reviews and comparisons of both if you take a little bit of time to google and read.

I would also add that three pulls is not statistically significant, not that I would consider it to be anyway. A millimetre or two/three difference in the placement on the trigger would provide you with results that are different enough if you are going for a certain number rather than feel. Thus, you are going to want to pull it 10+ times rather than three. The Wheeler calculates the average for you and maybe that was one of the differences? I really do not remember. I certainly do remember that after reading, the Wheeler was a clear choice (in spite of being a little bit more expensive).

At the same time, why would you go by a certain number rather than feel? Pikergolf is definitely on to something there and I would think that his method would be just as (reasonably) accurate for most if not all applications. Some of us have a “thing” though and that is ok too. I bought mine to have that “exact” number for comparison purposes. I have used it a few times and don’t regret buying it at all, but I could definitely do without it.

This may not be as helpful, but I definitely decided on the wheeler after doing some good research for a reason, so I would recommend that one. I cannot tell the reasons at this point though, lol. It’s a neat device to play around with, but is not extremely useful for a guy like me. Unless you know what you like, have a number of rifles that you are actively changing (maybe selling some and buying others), and want them all to be set at the same weight.

If you are close by, you are welcome to borrow mine to do your thing and see if it is something you need. I am in Peace River.

6MT 03-29-2024 07:38 AM

I have the Wheeler unit s well. The biggest thing one needs to remember is proper technique when using it. A very slow and deliberate pull (with no hesitations) is essential for accuracy. Doing this and multiple tries will give fairly accurate results.

I’ve found the wheeler unit to give a variance of 2 to 4 ounces with the proper technique. And that’s close enough for me. I just want a rough idea anyways. Besides, if one wanted lower variances, you’d have to drop a lot more then a hundred bucks on a trigger pull gauge.

Dean2 03-29-2024 07:43 AM

I tried the Wheeler, now I use one of these that registers to 8 pounds. Far more accurate and consistent than the Wheeler was. The sliding plastic collar stops at the release pressure.

http://newcontent.westmarine.com/con...rge/388175.jpg

catnthehat 03-29-2024 09:56 AM

I use two different gauges, one is an RCBS, the other is a very old Schrader ( the same people that make the tire gauges, etc)
Both of these are super accurate down to ounces.
Cat
https://i.imgur.com/O5LHPxC.jpg

elkhunter11 03-29-2024 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 4712851)
I use two different gauges, one is an RCBS, the other is a very old Schrader ( the same people that make the tire gauges, etc)
Both of these are super accurate down to ounces.
Cat
https://i.imgur.com/O5LHPxC.jpg

I still use the RCBS.

teledogs 03-29-2024 10:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes I use the RCBS too, not digital but accurate. Do they still make these?

fishnguy 03-29-2024 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6MT (Post 4712824)
I have the Wheeler unit s well. The biggest thing one needs to remember is proper technique when using it. A very slow and deliberate pull (with no hesitations) is essential for accuracy. Doing this and multiple tries will give fairly accurate results.

Yeah, I agree, but you get a hang of it quite quickly. Then do 10 or so pulls, which takes only a minute or two, and you get a nice average, which will be pretty close to the reality. Also, do not record the outliers (too high or low numbers, if you happened to pull it wrong or whatever).

6.5 shooter 03-30-2024 11:39 PM

I have used trigger gauges in the past. Now I just use my trigger finger. Pull slowly, eyes closed, feel the trigger. Make sure in breaks clean. Once your happy, then give it the rubber mallet test or the bump it on the floor test. Once it passes those, I then use a RCBS tester to double check. Most of my triggers come in at pretty acceptable and safe weights and feel good while doing it. Takes more time but I think it is worth it. Crisp, break like glass, trigger breaks are much better, then soft mushy, light trigger, no matter how light they may be set.