Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   southern AB walleye question (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=292933)

catchandeat 07-05-2016 02:44 PM

southern AB walleye question

Hey All:

My cousin is coming in from Saskatchewan next week(yes yes I know, sask

fishing is waaay better :thinking-006:), and we're planning on heading down

south to do some walleye fishing. Ideally we'd like to go some place where

we have steady walleye action, and stand a chance at keeping a couple for

lunch. After doing some research, it seems like our best option would

probably be either Chin, Rattlesnake, st marys or sherburne reservoir?

Unless you guys have any better lake suggestions, what lake might be best?

Really hoping not to get skunked anywhere going in green, sort of debating

whether it's better to go down south or somewhere much further north like

slave. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

newguy 07-05-2016 03:25 PM

i'm awaiting any replies on this thread. haven't kept a walleye in southern AB for many years. good luck!

AlbertaCutthroat 07-05-2016 03:30 PM

Head to Saskatchewan instead. Walleye aren't biting down here.

camo 07-05-2016 04:18 PM

I trolled around St.Mary Reservoir on Saturday for 3 hours without a hit from any kind of fish. It seemed like I was the only person fishing, everyone else was doing watersports, maybe that should have been my sign

npauls 07-05-2016 04:55 PM

Was at st.mary on friday and got into plenty of eyes trolling and jigging with a few being legal.

Chin is always a fun lake to fish walleyes with fish on pretty much every point.

Sherburne is also a fun lake to catch walleyes and decent perch.

Never fished rattlesnake.

Perchfisher 07-05-2016 05:04 PM

We fished St Mary's on Friday and Saturday for about four hours. Caught some walleye but none we even had to put a tape too. Fished chin lake last weekend and caught nothing. Go north or stay in Saskatchewan.

RavYak 07-05-2016 05:28 PM

Why don't you take him to Kananaskis and catch him a bull trout and cutthroat trout or something like that. Guy probably fishes for walleye 9 times out of 10, there are some cool new species and nice scenery spots you could go to instead of looking for some disappointing walleye fishing.

Wes_G 07-05-2016 05:38 PM

We fished St Mary's last thursday and it was terrible. Slowest day I have ever had on a Southern Alberta reservoir.

mclean 07-05-2016 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by npauls (Post 3270598)
Was at st.mary on friday and got into plenty of eyes trolling and jigging with a few being legal.

Chin is always a fun lake to fish walleyes with fish on pretty much every point.

Sherburne is also a fun lake to catch walleyes and decent perch.

Never fished rattlesnake.

Why not just give gps coordinates Nate.

SamSteele 07-06-2016 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavYak (Post 3270623)
Why don't you take him to Kananaskis and catch him a bull trout and cutthroat trout or something like that. Guy probably fishes for walleye 9 times out of 10, there are some cool new species and nice scenery spots you could go to instead of looking for some disappointing walleye fishing.

Agree with this. I'm from Northern SK originally and no matter how hard I try I can't get excited about fishing pike and walleye in AB. I just can't help but compare it to what I was used to. Take him to catch something he can't get back in the 306.

SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deanstr8 07-06-2016 09:31 AM

Well I do not have much experience in Southern Alberta, but I was at Lesser Slave Lake for 5 days last week, and the Walleye action was non-stop. We did not experience a whole lot of wind, but a few days we were limited to a few hours due to high winds. You will not be disappointed there. We had luck with numerous different lures as well, bottom bouncing with jigs, drifting with jigs and minnows, and even trolling with spoons. The biggest Walleye caught was trolling with a five of diamonds, about a 5 pounder. Most of the fish were in the 2-4 lb range. The best times of day to fish was actually late afternoon and evening before sundown.

pinelakeperch 07-06-2016 10:58 AM

I caught 40 walleye from shore at Crawling Valley less than a week ago. Not the most glamorous fishing, but fun nonetheless. Fished the Bow near Rolling Hills last night and got around ten. Water was very low and they didn't start biting until around 9 o clock.

npauls 07-06-2016 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mclean (Post 3270791)
Why not just give gps coordinates Nate.

All over the lakes.

I have been finding fish all over. If im patient and break down a pattern of what they are wanting i am finding myself very successful most days this year.

Dont get stuck doing only 1 technique in 1 depth of water on 1 type of structure and you should be able to get some walleyes.

Joe Quiroga 07-06-2016 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhutter (Post 3271214)
I caught 40 walleye from shore at Crawling Valley less than a week ago. Not the most glamorous fishing, but fun nonetheless. Fished the Bow near Rolling Hills last night and got around ten. Water was very low and they didn't start biting until around 9 o clock.

Good fishing down around there. Caught myself a few nice 5 pounders last week on that river rig you showed me last year.

Landowners are buckling down around there though, ones talking about installing trail cams and I had to text photos of my license plate heh.

catchandeat 07-06-2016 09:57 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone! As to the suggestions for fishing for trout, we'd prefer to fish for walleye, adleast for this trip anyway :). I was thinking we'd just head up to slave lake since i'm not quite as familiar with lakes down south, and definitely not wanting to get skunked. But I only have a 14ft aluminum with a 20hp motor (no fish finder), and I don't exactly feel safe going out on a monster of a lake like slave, unless there are some more secluded bay areas of the lake more sheltered for the wind? Or is the river fishing good at all? Any input for slave would be appreciated. If not I might just end up trying my luck at St Marys or Chin down south.

Wes_G 07-06-2016 11:39 PM

Don't feel comfortable on a big lake in a 14'... you realize it can go from calm to 100 k wind in about 5 minutes in Southern Alberta right?

WayneChristie 07-07-2016 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Quiroga (Post 3271643)
Good fishing down around there. Caught myself a few nice 5 pounders last week on that river rig you showed me last year.

Landowners are buckling down around there though, ones talking about installing trail cams and I had to text photos of my license plate heh.

do you know why? because of people coming from out of the area, for the most part, and just driving anywhere they like, camping where they like, dumping garbage and crap all over the place, quadding off the roads, hassling the livestock, etc. and you know how these people find these areas? posts like these. why do you think the locals keep quiet about them? you dont have to be a forum member to read posts, Ive talked to people as far away as Sask and Bc who ask me about local areas theyve read about on the forum, why would they give a damn if they come once and leave a mess behind, its not their spots. thats why the leases are tightening up, because of this. no respect, no damn given. its nice to help someone out but at what cost? Ive gotten so many posts from people who only join to ask for directions and exact locations, who could care less about contributing to the forum or helping anyone out. this is why I dont post about fishing anymore, everyone just wants and wants and could care less about the damage they do and the garbage they leave behind. and who pays for it, the people who look after the resources, not the ones who bitch about crowded fishing spots, well guess why they are crowded and overfished????????

AlbertaCutthroat 07-07-2016 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WayneChristie (Post 3272254)
do you know why? because of people coming from out of the area, for the most part, and just driving anywhere they like, camping where they like, dumping garbage and crap all over the place, quadding off the roads, hassling the livestock, etc. and you know how these people find these areas? posts like these. why do you think the locals keep quiet about them? you dont have to be a forum member to read posts, Ive talked to people as far away as Sask and Bc who ask me about local areas theyve read about on the forum, why would they give a damn if they come once and leave a mess behind, its not their spots. thats why the leases are tightening up, because of this. no respect, no damn given. its nice to help someone out but at what cost? Ive gotten so many posts from people who only join to ask for directions and exact locations, who could care less about contributing to the forum or helping anyone out. this is why I dont post about fishing anymore, everyone just wants and wants and could care less about the damage they do and the garbage they leave behind. and who pays for it, the people who look after the resources, not the ones who bitch about crowded fishing spots, well guess why they are crowded and overfished????????

Yup, a bunch of the mentioned lakes are being shut down to walleye harvest next year as well due to internet hero's trying to maximize their post counts. Lake's/spots not mentioned online are still free of pressure and full of fish down here, funny how that works. Everything on this forum shows up on a google search, not good for the resource. Keep lake names/ specific spots out of the discussions folks.....

Joe Quiroga 07-07-2016 03:16 PM

Quote:

Wow, just wow. Yes I understand why. I'm not the one who brought it up. I never mentioned any specific spots or even a landowners name. But thanks for that ass chewing.

mclean 07-07-2016 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbertaCutthroat (Post 3272278)
Yup, a bunch of the mentioned lakes are being shut down to walleye harvest next year as well due to internet hero's trying to maximize their post counts. Lake's/spots not mentioned online are still free of pressure and full of fish down here, funny how that works. Everything on this forum shows up on a google search, not good for the resource. Keep lake names/ specific spots out of the discussions folks.....

And some people just never learn, Bragg on the internet about catching large and lots of walleye on lake x , and wonder why all of sudden lake x is overrun with fishermen and a body of water can only take so much pressure and fishing opportunities are lost, Being a good fisherman is all about going out and possibly catching some fish and being able to come back another day to enjoy.

rcales 07-09-2016 09:58 AM

He's not wrong.

Joe Quiroga 07-09-2016 01:58 PM

Nvmnd

pinelakeperch 07-09-2016 02:05 PM

Personally, I like to see people catch fish, especially if they are new to the sport or new to the area. I very rarely give away specific locations, but when I do, I make sure that the person I'm giving them to is someone I feel will respect the fishery.

Knowing the location of holes is half the battle, you still have to know how to catch them!

wildbill 07-09-2016 02:39 PM

Quote:

I agree with you 100% wayne I taught myself tie flies, fly fish and figure out where the good spots were, some people I met on the water gave me pointers but for the most part I read bm fishing guide, br map book, md maps, talking to land owners, old timers but I did my homework and foot work by no means did I ever get anything handed to me on a sliver platter. Put in the time, if run into you on the water I may give you a nugget, but I'm leaving the silverware at home. Bottom line is I don't know you from Adam, and, there fore don't trust you. But to come on here and to flat out ask where the best fishing spot are is not cool.