Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How do you avoid day-after stiffness & pain? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=372465)

thumper 11-18-2019 03:42 PM

How do you avoid day-after stiffness & pain?

Now that I'm preparing for the Old Age Security payments, I'm having a heck of a time the day after hunting. Just from climbing over barbed wire fences all day I'm stiff the next day, but if I've had to crawl around on my hands and knees skinning an animal, or sledding dead critters back to the truck and then heaving them in - I can barely get out of the truck when I'm home. The following day or even 2, even getting up and walking around I'm bent over and seized up. By day 3, I'm a little more flexible and by day 4 back to just the usual aches and pains.

Are there any tricks to minimizing this? (aside from dying young) I try to drink plenty of fluids while hunting - maybe I should drink more? Any specific dietary items to eat/drink prior to heading out hunting that might help? Any items to take right after the exertion that will minimize this? I used to stuff my pockets with Mandarin oranges to eat during the day because they're cool, refreshing and give me a boost, but maybe citrus stiffens the muscles & joints? Tips ???

35 whelen 11-18-2019 03:51 PM

Start a workout plan before the hunting season and eat better

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

The Cook 11-18-2019 03:54 PM

Cannabis infused chocolate 2 hours before bedtime washed down with double dark rum & coke. Uninterrupted 7 to 8 hour sleep and wake up feeling almost brand new.

CaberTosser 11-18-2019 03:57 PM

Stretching. Those muscles are probably sore because they're under-utilized. And I mean stretching all the time, not just near the events that you exert yourself.

I was just doing some work for a client who is over 60, he had hand-bombed a hole 8 or 9 feet deep, 8' long and 8' wide to expose a sewer line we had to tie into at his Mother-in-Law's. Then he backfilled it when I was done. Apparently he goes to pilates classes. I was impressed that a rather wealthy guy would go to such lengths.

kodiakken 11-18-2019 04:09 PM

Or get use to it! Life definitely changes as you get older.

pikergolf 11-18-2019 04:27 PM

I walk an hour a day, it has made a world of difference in my life. I have bad hips, my Dr. told me I was to young for surgery (60), but told me the longer I used my legs the better off I would be. So between the walking and a dose of the Mary Jane at bedtime, it's liveable.

jcrayford 11-18-2019 05:10 PM

Some good advice here. I'm slightly younger (52) and still active in volleyball, but I find that if I'm really sore (other than my gout) I can usually get the stiffness out the next day by a flat walk and a couple of Aleve.

However, take that with a grain of salt because of the potential of interaction with any medications you may be already consuming.

Scottmisfits 11-18-2019 05:38 PM

One thing that's often overlooked is water. Most of us don't drink anywhere near enough. Most work days I drink 4-5 litres but when we go hunting, we forget.

huntinstuff 11-18-2019 05:54 PM

A regular workout/stretch routine is best.

Its those little rare used muscles that are often the culprit.

I normally do not hit the gym mid October to mid Nov as I am usually away hunting. But nightly I sit and stretch out my legs back etc. You HAVE TO keep mobile and exercise or you will slowly seize up.

I am spoiled with a soaker tub and a girl who yogas me often.

Stay away from pills. Exercise is your best defence.

oldgutpile 11-18-2019 05:59 PM

and salt!

Reaching the older years, we are constantly preached at about too much salt, to the point that I avoid it altogether. Salt (in moderation)is very helpful to avoid cramping. I went on a guided sheep hunt many years ago, and the guide preached continuously about using salt in all of our "mountain house", etc. type meals. It worked, and it still does to this day! Using a "bit" of salt on days where I am out in the field, it helps to prevent cramps and sore muscles to a degree, but the advise posted prior to this one re: stretching and working out, is also key.

Flatlandliver 11-18-2019 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pikergolf (Post 4058260)
I walk an hour a day, it has made a world of difference in my life. I have bad hips, my Dr. told me I was to young for surgery (60), but told me the longer I used my legs the better off I would be. So between the walking and a dose of the Mary Jane at bedtime, it's liveable.

Get a new doctor brother, that’s bs. Get an mri and see what’s up in there. The walking is great regardless but the “too young for surgery” bit is old news.

RandyBoBandy 11-18-2019 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntinstuff (Post 4058306)
A regular workout/stretch routine is best.

a girl who yogas me often.

Stay away from pills. Exercise is your best defence.

Asking for a friend, what is your go to Lulu Lemon outfit for men?? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

huntinstuff 11-18-2019 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy (Post 4058411)
Asking for a friend, what is your go to Lulu Lemon outfit for men?? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

I wear one of those red polyester Adidas jogging suits with the white stripes along the legs.

That coupled with two large gold chains really sets me apart from the others....very Eastern Bloc chique

1899b 11-18-2019 09:49 PM

Stay active 12 months of the year not just 3 months during hunting season...

KegRiver 11-18-2019 10:04 PM

As you probably know I am pension age.

I walk to keep in condition. In condition being a relative term.

I've never had much trouble with soreness or stiffness after a workout, maybe because I've never followed any sort of diet or health fad.

As far as I can tell, keeping active is the main thing. I don't exercise as a means to keep in shape, but I do live an active life.
Climbing ladders to maintain my property, hauling heavy loads, water, wood ect.
I do a lot of walking doing photography, picking berries and mushrooms, hunting, fishing, gardening.

Over the winter I have a treadmill to keep active on. I don't much like the snow anymore. Running plow truck ruined that for me,

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not anywhere close being fit. I sit too much and eat whatever I wish. But considering my age I'm okay with where I am at physically.

I don't expect to be able to jump fences and run up hills like I used to. I figure I earned the right to take it easy. So long as I can do the things I like to do I'm okay with the way I am.

And maybe that's the key. Don't try to be a young man when you are past pension age. Works for me.

Positrac 11-18-2019 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntinstuff (Post 4058421)
I wear one of those red polyester Adidas jogging suits with the white stripes along the legs.

That coupled with two large gold chains really sets me apart from the others....very Eastern Bloc chique

That’s the same get-up my East Indian neighbour wears to wash his car. I have a Sopranos flash-back every time I see him outside. Polyester track suite and a Mr. T starter kit...

204ruger 11-19-2019 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaberTosser (Post 4058240)
Stretching. Those muscles are probably sore because they're under-utilized. And I mean stretching all the time, not just near the events that you exert yourself.

I was just doing some work for a client who is over 60, he had hand-bombed a hole 8 or 9 feet deep, 8' long and 8' wide to expose a sewer line we had to tie into at his Mother-in-Law's. Then he backfilled it when I was done. Apparently he goes to pilates classes. I was impressed that a rather wealthy guy would go to such lengths.

Agree 100%
Stretch, stretch and stretch some more. Stretch those muscles before and after even with minimal physical activity or fitness stretching helps huge and lots of water
I am by no means a physically fit human although I walk quite a bit during hunting season and stretching and water helps me wake up not all tightened up from the activities the day before.

pikergolf 11-19-2019 05:44 AM

Quote:

White sneakers?

58thecat 11-19-2019 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 35 whelen (Post 4058236)
Start a workout plan before the hunting season and eat better

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Aging is aging but you can do it graceful as in excercise, work out, eat right and really hydrate well....

Long cool down with stretching...

JB_AOL 11-19-2019 06:27 AM

Simple, Stay active.. I see it all around me.. Those that stay active have less issues when older, and typically have a better life.

But make it enjoyable. Don't go to the gym. Find something you like doing.. Even as simple as walking. If that bores you, download some podcasts and learn something as you walk.

I do the simple stuff (running, walking, etc) around my community when time is limited, so I can do the fun stuff in the summer (mtb'ing, hiking, paddling, etc.).

WhiteTailAB 11-19-2019 07:29 AM

Quote:

Ah the squatting Slav.... lol

Stretch for sure, foam roller, and one thing I am about to try is "liquid IV" an electrolyte supplement that gives 1 bottle of water the same hydration properties as 3 bottles.

Also I recently bought some inversion boots to hang from my pull up bar. I felt a slipped disc coming and 2 hangs fixed that right away. Well worth the money.

3blade 11-19-2019 08:54 AM

Prevention: Fitness, stretching, yoga, there’s a program called “foundation training” that I’m doing, $20/month for online access - made a world of difference for my back.

During the hunt: Gatorade, especially when you are sweating buckets while dealing with an animal.

After: high bioavailable protein (whey shake or bone broth) for muscle repair, Epsom salts bath, A535, sauna if you can - but you have to do both the hot and cold part to get the most benefit.

DO NOT do heavy stretching immediately prior to activity, you can damage muscles when they are cold, stretch ligaments/push joints beyond normal range of motion which increases injury risk during exertion. Warm up and maybe a few light stretches.

Justfishin73 11-19-2019 08:59 AM

CDB oil worked wonders for me---hunt hard from Sept 1st on---joints were killing me and feeling pretty beat up—tipping 50 and all. Started using the oil and feeling much better---joints don’t sound like a cement mixer. Feel MUCH better, and will continue to use it.

sanjuanworm 11-19-2019 10:04 AM

I work out 5 days a week with heavy weights. I'm 46. I just stay sore every day. Then you don't have to worry about the soreness anymore.

huntinstuff 11-19-2019 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pikergolf (Post 4058518)
White sneakers?

YES! White British Knight hi tops

Jim Blake 11-19-2019 10:15 AM

I keep looking for a Time Machine or a fountain of Youth listing. Neither Kijijji or Amazon have helped.

Jayhad 11-19-2019 10:16 AM

Stretching, and the anti inflammatory properties of the devils lettuce

YYC338 11-19-2019 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Blake (Post 4058621)
I keep looking for a Time Machine or a fountain of Youth listing. Neither Kijijji or Amazon have helped.

Well here you go.

https://www.amazon.com/Young-Fountai.../dp/B00RSLI1PK

saddleup 11-19-2019 12:05 PM

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey........ more money.....:)

Bigwoodsman 11-19-2019 01:06 PM

I (57) walk a lot everyday, usually 3-4 KM after work with my dog. I take her to a dog park. I walk the trails but try to get a good mix of flat ground and hills, sometimes a little bush wacking. Get the heart rate up. I lost 20 pounds doing this over the past year.

BW