Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Archery Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Tree/Climbing saddle (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=411022)

Kubabeer 04-28-2022 09:35 PM

Tree/Climbing saddle

Hello everyone.
Was wondering if anyone uses a saddle for bow hunting. If so, was it a good investment in terms of stay in your hunting gear forever. As well I was wondering if anyone knew of a seller (maybe this site sponsors would know) that you would be able to go and try it out. Maybe have a 5 foot poll or something to test out?. Any insight would be great

obsessed1 04-28-2022 10:03 PM

I use one. Great piece of gear. Doesnt completely replace a strap on or self climber but i wont be getting rid of mine. I made my own for less than 100$ you could probably make your own.

Kubabeer 04-29-2022 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obsessed1 (Post 4515387)
. I made my own for less than 100$ you could probably make your own.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I guess I could make my own ( probably won't happen). Glad you enjoy yyours.

Twobucks 05-01-2022 04:39 PM

Where are you located?

I’ve only used mine a little, but I’m going to keep working out the little details. I feel like it has potential but I’m brand new to hunting from a tree so lots I’m still figuring out.

freeride 05-01-2022 05:23 PM

I went with a recreational tree climbing harness. Apparently climbing trees is a sport now... but anyways it has a lot wider leg pads made so you can hang long periods of time in them.

https://newtribe.com/store/index.php...macet9nqf93co7

Apparently new tribe has their own version of a tree saddle as well

https://aerohunter.us/

calgarychef 05-22-2022 10:15 AM

Look up JRB tree climbing on YouTube, the guy is a fanatic.

One example
https://youtu.be/BApp0ZiUNY4

nimrod 05-22-2022 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calgarychef (Post 4523209)
Look up JRB tree climbing on YouTube, the guy is a fanatic.

One example
https://youtu.be/BApp0ZiUNY4

This above tree climbing uint looks good if your very good with it, but how long does it take to to get 15 ft above the ground, ill still use my screw pegs into the tree, with a safety belt.

calgarychef 05-23-2022 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nimrod (Post 4523302)
This above tree climbing uint looks good if your very good with it, but how long does it take to to get 15 ft above the ground, ill still use my screw pegs into the tree, with a safety belt.

Most folks use preset paracord and leave it ready to pull up their rope.
There’s also “one sticking” and that can be a fast way to climb.
Screw in steps like you mentioned are a good way to get into a tree too although if I went that way I’d probably hang a stand to sit in.

kevin2053 06-22-2022 09:42 AM

tree stling

Look at this.... under $100

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM-YhpUjgYc&t=22s

calgarychef 06-22-2022 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin2053 (Post 4533755)

Interesting, it’s a lot like the torges tree seat. Is highly recommend using climbing rated parts and knots though.

duckup 06-23-2022 08:47 PM

Screw in pegs with a stand is the way to go

obsessed1 06-24-2022 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duckup (Post 4534335)
Screw in pegs with a stand is the way to go

Except my saddle W Climber is under 6lb all in and easily fits in a back pack, and can be set up ready to hunt in less than 5 minutes almost silently. So a saddle definitely has its place in my kit. As do the hang on and self climber stands i have...

If you go in deep and want to be flexible a saddle is a very good option. If made right they are also very comfortable for long sits

calgarychef 06-26-2022 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obsessed1 (Post 4534448)
Except my saddle W Climber is under 6lb all in and easily fits in a back pack, and can be set up ready to hunt in less than 5 minutes almost silently. So a saddle definitely has its place in my kit. As do the hang on and self climber stands i have...

If you go in deep and want to be flexible a saddle is a very good option. If made right they are also very comfortable for long sits

What kind of climber do you use?

obsessed1 06-27-2022 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calgarychef (Post 4535365)
What kind of climber do you use?

Im pretty sure i have shown you my setup. I use a modified self climbing system that uses the platform and sling to climb trees. Exact same principle as a self climber tree stand. All your weight is on one component with the other is lifted up. So weight is on the platform and the seat/sling is raised, then weight is on the seat/sling while the platform is raised and up you go.....i can get 15 ft in under a minute with little effort. My whole kit everything included is right at 6lbs and easily fits in a small backpack. If a guy really wanted to streamline things a custom foot platform could be made for both additional weight savings and more secure footing...currently my foot rest is a 2" x20" hardwood dowel. But a plastic folding type could easily be designed that could offer even better footing and still be used as your climber...

calgarychef 06-27-2022 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obsessed1 (Post 4535420)
Im pretty sure i have shown you my setup. I use a modified self climbing system that uses the platform and sling to climb trees. Exact same principle as a self climber tree stand. All your weight is on one component with the other is lifted up. So weight is on the platform and the seat/sling is raised, then weight is on the seat/sling while the platform is raised and up you go.....i can get 15 ft in under a minute with little effort. My whole kit everything included is right at 6lbs and easily fits in a small backpack. If a guy really wanted to streamline things a custom foot platform could be made for both additional weight savings and more secure footing...currently my foot rest is a 2" x20" hardwood dowel. But a plastic folding type could easily be designed that could offer even better footing and still be used as your climber...

Right you have…sorry it was a long weekend!

Stinky Buffalo 07-21-2022 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obsessed1 (Post 4535420)

Of course, now we need a few pictures and a demo video of how you climb with this setup. :D

Iceberg 07-21-2022 12:44 PM

Anyone here use climbing spurs with their saddle setup? If so I'd love to hear the pros and cons and your experience with them.

Thinking about making the switch to tree spurs this year for mobility and cut down weight.

obsessed1 07-21-2022 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceberg (Post 4542422)
Anyone here use climbing spurs with their saddle setup? If so I'd love to hear the pros and cons and your experience with them.

Thinking about making the switch to tree spurs this year for mobility and cut down weight.

I did try them out.... its not for me at all. Really hard on my ankles and knees.

obsessed1 07-21-2022 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo (Post 4542366)
Of course, now we need a few pictures and a demo video of how you climb with this setup. :D

https://youtu.be/GMkAMZo5ggI

So this is not my video but his method is very close to mine. this video is a good example of how easy it is though

Stinky Buffalo 07-21-2022 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obsessed1 (Post 4542449)
https://youtu.be/GMkAMZo5ggI

So this is not my video but his method is very close to mine. this video is a good example of how easy it is though

That's terrific! Thank you.

Always looking for a lighter, faster way of getting up into a tree. Especially as I get a bit older...

obsessed1 07-21-2022 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo (Post 4542460)
That's terrific! Thank you.

Always looking for a lighter, faster way of getting up into a tree. Especially as I get a bit older...

Its by far the easiest/ fastest method i have ever tried by far. It also makes a light system to carry around. No extra ropes, sticks, or pegs to pack around

Prairiekid 08-23-2022 01:02 PM

I actually thought there would be more discussion on saddle hunting, it seems like a good option for anyone not already invested in tree stands. If there is anyone in Canmore that doesn't mind taking a few minutes just to show me their set up it would be appreciated. I think I would try to do a combination of purchasing products and making my own.

Demonical 08-23-2022 04:50 PM

The principle is basically the same as a self-climber.
That is interesting but it also looks like a young man's game.

But for somebody venturing deep into the mountains, and who's young and athletic (still) it sure looks like a good option.

This old man will stick to the self-climber Summit Goliath.

obsessed1 08-23-2022 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonical (Post 4551976)
The principle is basically the same as a self-climber.
That is interesting but it also looks like a young man's game.

But for somebody venturing deep into the mountains, and who's young and athletic (still) it sure looks like a good option.

This old man will stick to the self-climber Summit Goliath.

I'm not young or in great shape and i use a saddle very effectively. Its easier to set up than a hang on or ladder stand and just as comfortable.

obsessed1 08-23-2022 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prairiekid (Post 4551922)
I actually thought there would be more discussion on saddle hunting, it seems like a good option for anyone not already invested in tree stands. If there is anyone in Canmore that doesn't mind taking a few minutes just to show me their set up it would be appreciated. I think I would try to do a combination of purchasing products and making my own.

Pm me your email and i can send you pics of my system.
The link i posted earlier is the same type of system i use to get up a tree.

DRhunter 08-23-2022 10:31 PM

I bought a saddle a long time ago, I was reading some books by John Eberhart, who was slinging the trophyline tree saddle; the saddle has changed since I bought mine probably 15 years ago.
https://www.trophyline.com/products/...SAAEgLrgfD_BwE

I like the idea of the tree saddle.. but I found for myself, the practicality of carrying around the saddle (which the version that I have is not small and quite cumbersome to wear or throw in your pack) and either several sets of ladders or even heavier screw in steps just wasn’t practical for moving around on a hunt.

I still use my tree saddle.. but all I use it for now is the initial set up of my tree stands, ha. I also found that the tree stand is just more comfortable for a longer sit, which to me is more effective for how I like to hunt.

DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk