Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   who's all going to the Badger Derby? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=79747)

chubbdarter 01-11-2011 03:13 PM

who's all going to the Badger Derby?

Son is driving me nutz to try a derby......figured it might be a good meet and greet if nothing

ORV 01-11-2011 03:16 PM

this will be my first year for the badger derby.
not sure of the atmosphere there derby day.
the pine derby is pretty laid back & a lot of fun. i.m.o.

orv.

chubbdarter 01-11-2011 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ORV (Post 795752)
this will be my first year for the badger derby.
not sure of the atmosphere there derby day.
the pine derby is pretty laid back & a lot of fun. i.m.o.

orv.

orv...you fishing all 3 days.....gonna commute?

gramps73 01-11-2011 03:23 PM

I have fished this thing for the past 5 years, not as good as years past but still good time...
Make sure you get your tickets soon they always sell out.

chubbdarter 01-11-2011 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gramps73 (Post 795758)
I have fished this thing for the past 5 years, not as good as years past but still good time...
Make sure you get your tickets soon they always sell out.

you making it 6 years?
do you commute?
kinda crappy rigging a rv for 3 days.
stay in vulcan?

chubbdarter 01-11-2011 03:28 PM

im way too old to suffer for a pike

ORV 01-11-2011 03:36 PM

staying on the ice with a buddy in his camper.
too far to commute is right.... for me anyway.
some people like driving...

mikeo2 01-11-2011 03:38 PM

Forgive my ignorance here but I take it the badger derby is 3 days long. Is it a typical ice fishing derby where they drill all of the holes in one area or is a guy allowed to fish throughout the entire lake more like a summer derby?

chubbdarter 01-11-2011 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeo2 (Post 795772)
Forgive my ignorance here but I take it the badger derby is 3 days long. Is it a typical ice fishing derby where they drill all of the holes in one area or is a guy allowed to fish throughout the entire lake more like a summer derby?

my understanding you drill your own holes

nicemustang 01-11-2011 03:55 PM

I will likely be there again this year, missed last year. We stay out on lake in an RV. Don't un-winterize it, just use it for sleeping and protection from elements. Crack up the heater and good to go.

Although I likely won't be out for all three days. We already have our tickets. I am simply a spare body abusing my friends stuff for a day or two :)

chubbdarter 01-11-2011 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicemustang (Post 795788)
I will likely be there again this year, missed last year. We stay out on lake in an RV. Don't un-winterize it, just use it for sleeping and protection from elements. Crack up the heater and good to go.

Although I likely won't be out for all three days. We already have our tickets. I am simply a spare body abusing my friends stuff for a day or two :)

AO tail gate bar b q in order?

ORV 01-11-2011 04:04 PM

badger derby rules

according to the rules you are not allowed a hole bigger than 12"
does this mean you cannot drill double holes?????
easier to get a big pike out of those i.m.o.
maybe they just don.t want people to cut out big openings??

orv.

chubbdarter 01-11-2011 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ORV (Post 795803)
according to the rules you are not allowed a hole bigger than 12"
does this mean you cannot drill double holes?????
easier to get a big pike out of those i.m.o.
maybe they just don.t want people to cut out big openings??

orv.

i believe the gov. has rules pertaining to holes also....something about marking unsupervised holes.
it may be in the rules for liability reasons

nicemustang 01-11-2011 04:12 PM

In past years, it was for safety sakes as I was told. I can't remember the legislation on double holes. We didn't do that because we used 10" holes.

For those who have questions, refer to the site: http://www.badgerlakeicefishingderby.com/

ORV 01-11-2011 04:21 PM

i am pretty sure i will be there on the fri & sat.
would love to meet up with some other members after fishing time
for a few pepsi,s :o)

orv.

nicemustang 01-11-2011 04:23 PM

Oh, and make sure you have a good big cooler. It has to have a lid. Two years ago our party caught a 28lber which was very long (40+ inches, can't remember exactly). They don't fit in just any cooler you know.

New Hunter Okotoks 01-11-2011 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicemustang (Post 795831)
Oh, and make sure you have a good big cooler. It has to have a lid. Two years ago our party caught a 28lber which was very long (40+ inches, can't remember exactly). They don't fit in just any cooler you know.

Yes and thanks to you, I now have a suitable cooler! Now I just need to catch a fish big enough during the Derby to fill it.

Anyone know if tickets can be purchased in Calgary or do I have to drive to Lomond?

chubbdarter 01-11-2011 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ORV (Post 795828)
i am pretty sure i will be there on the fri & sat.
would love to meet up with some other members after fishing time
for a few pepsi,s :o)

orv.

i think i'll hit it friday and then leave it to you young folk for sat and sun

nicemustang 01-11-2011 04:30 PM

Ya you bet. And if anyone wants to know, we didn't have a big enough cooler and it was so bloody cold that the fish didn't make it and couldn't be weighed and counted. And its was too bad too, because she would have won...learning is fun!

npauls 01-11-2011 04:45 PM

My partner built a big box he calls the coffin. It is big enough for any sized pike that alberta has. He used it at the newel derby every year and the travers derby also. Works really well.

If anyone can't afford a cooler big enough but has some plywood laying around they could probably build something to hold water and a fish.

Nate

WayneChristie 01-11-2011 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by npauls (Post 795858)
My partner built a big box he calls the coffin. It is big enough for any sized pike that alberta has. He used it at the newel derby every year and the travers derby also. Works really well.

If anyone can't afford a cooler big enough but has some plywood laying around they could probably build something to hold water and a fish.

Nate

good idea, I havent seen a cooler big enough for a 30 pound plus fish yet

lovich12 01-11-2011 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks (Post 795834)
Yes and thanks to you, I now have a suitable cooler! Now I just need to catch a fish big enough during the Derby to fill it.

Anyone know if tickets can be purchased in Calgary or do I have to drive to Lomond?

Check with wholesale sports in calgary. they might have some. if not you'll have to go to the bar in lomond.

WayneChristie 01-11-2011 05:04 PM

I fished it last year, just for your info F and W does a lot of checking, so keep your noses clean and your barbs pinched :) number for the Commercial Hotel in Lomond is 403-792-3606 I ended up with an extra ticket last year and they had no problem with me selling it to someone else, even though you have to put someones name on it when you purchase them. Got them at the Community Center in Lomond

New Hunter Okotoks 01-11-2011 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovich12 (Post 795873)
Check with wholesale sports in calgary. they might have some. if not you'll have to go to the bar in lomond.

Thanks lovich I will do that. If I am FORCED to drive all the way to Lomond,I may as well bring the gear and fish Badger LOL! I kinda hope WSS doesn't have them now that I think about it.

chubbdarter 01-11-2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WayneChristie (Post 795882)
I fished it last year, just for your info F and W does a lot of checking, so keep your noses clean and your barbs pinched :) number for the Commercial Hotel in Lomond is 403-792-3606 I ended up with an extra ticket last year and they had no problem with me selling it to someone else, even though you have to put someones name on it when you purchase them. Got them at the Community Center in Lomond

WC...what was last years winning weight?

WayneChristie 01-11-2011 05:08 PM

2010 Winners

Winning Fish
1st Place - Austin Toly - Bassano - 25.9 lbs
2nd Place - Morgan Southgate - Nanton - 24.35 lbs
3rd Place - Brian Hoppe - Calgary - 22.85 lbs
4th Place - Josh James - Taber - 21.9 lbs
5th Place - Tristan Arnaud - Lethbridge - 20.9 lbs

New Hunter Okotoks 01-11-2011 05:10 PM

Just phoned WSS Calgary;no tickets.

chubbdarter 01-11-2011 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WayneChristie (Post 795891)
2010 Winners

Winning Fish
1st Place - Austin Toly - Bassano - 25.9 lbs
2nd Place - Morgan Southgate - Nanton - 24.35 lbs
3rd Place - Brian Hoppe - Calgary - 22.85 lbs
4th Place - Josh James - Taber - 21.9 lbs
5th Place - Tristan Arnaud - Lethbridge - 20.9 lbs

thanks WC
are winning fish typically caught on first day?
you going?

New Hunter Okotoks 01-11-2011 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chubbdarter (Post 795904)
thanks WC
are winning fish typically caught on first day?
you going?

A couple years ago the winning fish was caught before the Derby even started. A lot of P.O.'d guys on the ice that year.

Woolly Bugger 01-11-2011 05:24 PM

Are any of the big Pike released during this derby ?