Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Flash drive question... (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=305246)

mooseburger 10-21-2016 09:43 AM

Flash drive question...

My son loaded all of the Game of Thrones series for me on a flash drive.
Anybody have an idea how I can view it on my living room tv.
I do have a spare USB port on my tv, as well as a blue ray DVD player, and an Apple TV box ( 3rd generation )...just don't know how to get it going.typing this on my iPad mini so I can't us that I don't think.
Thanks for taking the time to read/respond to this thread...Mb

Jeron Kahyar 10-21-2016 09:47 AM

Plug the USB drive into the back of your TV. Then use the [Source] button on your remote to select USB as an input. Use the arrow buttons to scroll through the shows and select them to watch using the enter or okay buttons.

Spidey 10-21-2016 09:48 AM

If your Blue Ray drive has a USB you can try plugging the flash drive into that to see if the shows come up when you navigate to the USB drive menu on the player (it will largely depend what format the shows were saved in). If they don't show up, you can also connect a computer or laptop to the TV if they both have HDMI ports.

Also, if your TV is new (eg. less than 2 years old) there's a chance that plugging the flash drive into it's USB port may also work.

silverdoctor 10-21-2016 09:50 AM

It really depends on the format of the movies and if the TV has the proper codecs to play that format. There should be a media selection on your TV, plug in the usb and find it, see if they will play.

Otherwise, you'll probably need a computer with an HDMI port. HDMI will carry the video and audio to the TV. Or even DVI port - but you'll need speakers.

Good luck with Game of Thrones. you either like it or you don't - and if you enjoy it, it's a binge fest. One of the best series I've ever watched. Too bad it'll be a year before the next season comes out :(

Scotty454 10-21-2016 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverdoctor (Post 3364234)
It really depends on the format of the movies and if the TV has the proper codecs to play that format. There should be a media selection on your TV, plug in the usb and find it, see if they will play.

Otherwise, you'll probably need a computer with an HDMI port. HDMI will carry the video and audio to the TV. Or even DVI port - but you'll need speakers.

Good luck with Game of Thrones. you either like it or you don't - and if you enjoy it, it's a binge fest. One of the best series I've ever watched. Too bad it'll be a year before the next season comes out :(

That's the big one. My TV will play .avi and .mkv, but not .mp4. Fortunately most of the decent quality releases come out in .mkv format.

I'm mid-way through season 2 of game of thrones. I held off for a long time, but finally started watching it. Enjoying it so far. Bit of an emotional rollercoaster, haha (I.e. no way will they do that. No way. Holy crap, they just did that. WTF.)

Nova316 10-21-2016 11:04 AM

If your TV can't play it you may need to put the USB on a laptop and connect the laptop to your TV. It all depends how it was coded.
I have a cheap netbook with HDMI out for that reason to play movies/shows on my TV that my TV can't decode

silverdoctor 10-21-2016 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty454 (Post 3364263)
I'm mid-way through season 2 of game of thrones. I held off for a long time, but finally started watching it. Enjoying it so far. Bit of an emotional rollercoaster, haha (I.e. no way will they do that. No way. Holy crap, they just did that. WTF.)

You're just getting started, and in for a whole lotta you ain't seen nothin' yet. Great character development, and I think Peter Dinklage stole the series acting wise. Definitely a roller coaster, tempted to buy the books.

At least the Walking Dead will be starting up again on Sunday.

mooseburger 10-23-2016 02:08 PM

Used a hdmi cable and a laptop and....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeron Kahyar (Post 3364229)
Plug the USB drive into the back of your TV. Then use the [Source] button on your remote to select USB as an input. Use the arrow buttons to scroll through the shows and select them to watch using the enter or okay buttons.

Actually had to download and install a MKV player on to my laptop ( codecs).
Hooked up a HDMI cable to laptop and TV and away she went...
Thanks to all you guys for your help and information...MB :sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout::s Ha_shakeshout:

Spidey 10-23-2016 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mooseburger (Post 3365892)
Actually had to download and install a MKV player on to my laptop ( codecs).
Hooked up a HDMI cable to laptop and TV and away she went...
Thanks to all you guys for your help and information...MB :sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout::s Ha_shakeshout:

Good to hear! Now you can use your TV as a "big computer monitor" anytime you want. You may want to download VLC player for your computer. There's not much it can't play and it's very reliable

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

lucas87 10-27-2016 09:12 AM

Most TV's have a usb plug in the back you go plug into there depending on the format the file on the usb it should play on there i recently got google chromcast to stream right to my tv works great

Jeron Kahyar 10-27-2016 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucas87 (Post 3369620)
Most TV's have a usb plug in the back you go plug into there depending on the format the file on the usb it should play on there i recently got google chromcast to stream right to my tv works great

Try looking into PLEX media server as well. It plays nicely with Google Chromecast and Android.

wags 10-27-2016 11:35 AM

Most DVD players also have USB. Most of those DVD players play a good variety of formats. A little easier to work with than a laptop.

Cheers