Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Town of High Level manatory evacuation. (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=364130)

KegRiver 05-20-2019 05:26 PM

Town of High Level manatory evacuation.

The Town of High Level is now issuing an Evacuation Order as of May 20, 2019 at 4:00 pm.

http://www.emergencyalert.alberta.ca...9/05/6675.html

WILDFIRE UPDATE | MAY 19, 2019 AT 11:30 AM
The Chuckegg Creek Wildfire (Fire number, HWF042)
The Chuckegg Creek fire has grown due to strong winds, and is now approximately 69, 000 hectares. High gusty winds are forecast again for today; in result the fire will experience an increase in activity. This fire is located approximately 5 km south of the Town of High Level and remains classified as Out of Control (OC). The town of High Level remains in no immediate danger, but residents are recommended to remain vigilant and be prepared, as the situation could change quickly. Alberta Wildfire has 64 firefighters, heavy equipment, along with air support from helicopters and air tankers working to contain this fire.

This fire started about twenty km south of High Level and is now burning south and west of town.
This morning it was reported to cover just over 8,500 hectares but now is reported to cover over 69,000 hectares.

Highways south and west of town are closed to all traffic.

The town and adjacent reserve are under mandatory evacuation order as of 4:00 pm today.

Ricki Bobby 05-20-2019 05:28 PM

I just saw this. Hope everyone stays safe up there.

pgavey 05-20-2019 05:45 PM

Over the weekend we had almost 4 inches of rain in Beaver Mines.
Sure wish we could send some North.

Albertadiver 05-20-2019 05:52 PM

Hope all are safe and there are a ton of fire fighting resources headed north.

Bigwoodsman 05-20-2019 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricki Bobby (Post 3978821)
I just saw this. Hope everyone stays safe up there.

This^^^^^

Praying for rain and calm winds!

BW

KegRiver 05-20-2019 06:01 PM

We are in touch with friends in High Level. So far it sounds like the evacuation is going smoothly.
I am standing by if help is needed.

The fire west of us has grown a lot since yesterday but it's still over twenty km west of us and the wind is in our favor. of course that could change.

pitw 05-20-2019 06:04 PM

Luck man.

jstubbs 05-20-2019 06:14 PM

Scary. Hope everything turns out OK.

Redneck Tommy 05-20-2019 08:47 PM

The whole county is without electricity and stores are sold out of generators in neighboring towns. I’m 100 k away and I can live with a few days without power but I hope for rain stop the fire before it gets to the town.

KegRiver 05-20-2019 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redneck Tommy (Post 3978891)
The whole county is without electricity and stores are sold out of generators in neighboring towns. I’m 100 k away and I can live with a few days without power but I hope for rain stop the fire before it gets to the town.

Is there anything you need?

JeanCretien 05-20-2019 09:10 PM

Mounties kicking in doors taking everyone’s guns yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redneck Tommy 05-20-2019 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KegRiver (Post 3978897)
Is there anything you need?

I doing fine got the generator going, Its the evacuees that are the most likely to need anything.

Rig-Rat 05-20-2019 10:45 PM

Stay safe up there everyone. Hope for a quick snuff of that fire.

DRE75 05-21-2019 11:16 AM

I've got a spare bedroom and room in the garage and driveway for any vehicles should anyone need a spot to ride it out in Grimshaw.

PM me and I'll be in touch, or if you need anything I'll do my best to help.

jstubbs 05-21-2019 12:52 PM

Something I am wondering: does the RCMP maintain a reasonable presence in the town after evacuation? I worry about crazy meth head looters going on a spree while nobody is around.

MooseRiverTrapper 05-21-2019 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jstubbs (Post 3979133)
Something I am wondering: does the RCMP maintain a reasonable presence in the town after evacuation? I worry about crazy meth head looters going on a spree while nobody is around.

I’m sure you heard of the high river gun grab. From a credible source the RCMP did most of the looting during the Slave fire as well.

riden 05-21-2019 01:21 PM

Quote:

Emergency services are still in High Level. Not sure how many.

6.5 shooter 05-21-2019 09:17 PM

Quote:

Personally I would be a whole lot more worried about LEO kicking in the doors, after High River.

landowner 05-22-2019 04:13 AM

As someone who has been evacuated because of wildfire,I know the level of stress and anxiety these people are facing. My thoughts and prayers are with you .hope all turns out well.

thirty-30 05-22-2019 11:06 AM

HL

Stay safe, Landowner, Keg.

A bit worried about Dale as well. His house is between Norbord and town. Haven’t talked to him in a few years though.

Been checking up on my friends and so far everyone is accounted for.

I am in YK for the last year or so — haven’t been active on AO much. Sold my place in HL.

Praying for you guys.

huntinstuff 05-22-2019 08:40 PM

Maybe the federal government will send some military to assist........

Sorry. I forgot. High Level isnt in Ontario or Quebec

We have fire, they have water. Strange huh

HalfBreed 05-22-2019 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntinstuff (Post 3979649)
Maybe the federal government will send some military to assist........

Sorry. I forgot. High Level isnt in Ontario or Quebec

We have fire, they have water. Strange huh

I believe the provincial government has to ask for military assistance.

58thecat 05-23-2019 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rig-Rat (Post 3978953)
Stay safe up there everyone. Hope for a quick snuff of that fire.

Yup.....we need lots of rain....sock in for a week....keep fire bans active too....

landowner 05-23-2019 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thirty-30 (Post 3979495)
Stay safe, Landowner, Keg.

A bit worried about Dale as well. His house is between Norbord and town. Haven’t talked to him in a few years though.

Been checking up on my friends and so far everyone is accounted for.

I am in YK for the last year or so — haven’t been active on AO much. Sold my place in HL.

Praying for you guys.

I’m not in the path of this fire , I was just stating that I knew how the residents feel and hoping for the best possible outcome.

dale7637 05-23-2019 01:51 PM

We got booted out Sunday. Tried to get back in yesterday, haven’t been home since before the long weekend.
Tons of police presence, they have the town locked up tight.
Looked like the fire was very close to town, but hard to tell from the smoke.
Thanks for the concern Ben!

thirty-30 05-23-2019 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dale7637 (Post 3979913)
We got booted out Sunday. Tried to get back in yesterday, haven’t been home since before the long weekend.
Tons of police presence, they have the town locked up tight.
Looked like the fire was very close to town, but hard to tell from the smoke.
Thanks for the concern Ben!

Thanks so much for posting up.

Good luck, buddy. We're all thinking about you up here -- and everyone else affected.

chad66 05-23-2019 04:28 PM

Fort Vermilion is hosting evacuees from Chateh, ( formerly Assumption) and Meander River. There were about 400 people at the community complex last night. People started arriving Tuesday afternoon and I saw people still rolling in at 4:00 A.M. The community is really pulling together helping these folks out.
The DM was in town today and said she wasn't sure when those people would be able to return to their homes.

My heart goes out to the folks in high level who had to leave everything. My understanding is that it will be some time before those residents are able to return. Once home the cleanup will start.

thirty-30 05-23-2019 04:46 PM

A lot of people are watching the new fire reports from the satellite.

I *REALLY* hope this is back burning...

https://i.imgur.com/xSNsbuD.jpg

4 hours ago (above)

vs 40 mins ago (Below)
https://i.imgur.com/0Ro0XeW.jpg

If it isn't backburning it looks like it's spreading hard towards the town.

Really hoping not.

That's a pretty small area and is probably the 'front line' -- I wish we had some forestry people here who could comment on it, but understandably I think they are busy on site.

Jamie 05-23-2019 05:42 PM

Thirty-30 Where are you getting those from?

chad66 05-23-2019 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thirty-30 (Post 3979973)
A lot of people are watching the new fire reports from the satellite.

I *REALLY* hope this is back burning...

https://i.imgur.com/xSNsbuD.jpg

4 hours ago (above)

vs 40 mins ago (Below)
https://i.imgur.com/0Ro0XeW.jpg

If it isn't backburning it looks like it's spreading hard towards the town.

Really hoping not.

That's a pretty small area and is probably the 'front line' -- I wish we had some forestry people here who could comment on it, but understandably I think they are busy on site.

I'm
Not forestry but I know a few people. They have back burned on the south and east sides of the fire. Also a controlled burn was completed around the high level hospital at 2 pm today.

70% of fuel source is burned in the south portion of fire. Hoping that the east side is at 70 by today.