Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   We want to hear your opinion on hunting in Alberta! (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=339808)

huntvalues 02-21-2018 09:20 PM

We want to hear your opinion on hunting in Alberta!

Hi!

I am an undergraduate student at the University of British Columbia and am completing a thesis project. We are interested in perspectives of hunters in British Columbia and Alberta. Hunters' perspectives are often overlooked in research which is why we are interested in this topic. My background in hunting is limited to falconry, but have registered hunters in my family. My research will be based on the results of this survey with the intention of publishing these results in a wildlife management journal.

We would greatly appreciate your input in taking a 5-10 minute survey to share your thoughts on hunting in Alberta: http://lfs.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_2bf4wACAZvGFG9n

Thank you for your time!

Little red riding hood 02-21-2018 09:26 PM

Good luck with your survey, I've been hunting in ab since I was 14

CaberTosser 02-21-2018 09:26 PM

Being a new poster you will experience some skepticism about the intent of your questions. As often as not, answering such inquiries might be detrimental to our cause as the intent of the surveyor might well be misconstrued. Such is the thought process of people involved in an activity that is under political fire from people who oppose our activities based on their own moralities.

Little red riding hood 02-21-2018 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaberTosser (Post 3736960)
Being a new poster you will experience some skepticism about the intent of your questions. As often as not, answering such inquiries might be detrimental to our cause as the intent of the surveyor might well be misconstrued. Such is the thought process of people involved in an activity that is under political fire from people who oppose our activities based on their own moralities.

My thoughts exactly, which is why I responded rather than taking the survey.

sns2 02-21-2018 09:42 PM

I have spoken with the student doing the research, and have taken the survey. There are no loaded questions by any means, and does not in any way seem to aligned with any cause which would be detrimental to our hunting pursuits. I am inclined to want to help out and be hospitable. Survey is also very short.

Norwest Alta 02-21-2018 09:53 PM

Seemed easy enough might provide good info that hunters aren't cold blooded killers like many non hunters think we are.

Newview01 02-21-2018 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norwest Alta (Post 3736976)
Seemed easy enough might provide good info that hunters aren't cold blooded killers like many non hunters think we are.

My thoughts as well.

CNP 02-21-2018 10:10 PM

Done

Norwest Alta 02-21-2018 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tri777 (Post 3736971)
OP would have to have at least 60 posts invested
into AO before I would participate in his activities.

I suppose that you could let non hunters fill out the survey instead.

leeelmer 02-21-2018 10:17 PM

Done
Easy
Nice to see

buckbrush 02-21-2018 10:19 PM

Done. Took four more minutes. I have nothing to hide and I am always willing to answer any questions about my hunting. Pro hunting or anti, rather it be an informed decision that assumed.

rocpilefsj 02-21-2018 10:19 PM

Done, short and sweet.

CaberTosser 02-21-2018 10:31 PM

Yup, tinfoil off. It seemed rather innocuous.

MugEye 02-21-2018 10:37 PM

What are you hope on gaining from these Surveys?

Fish along 02-22-2018 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sns2 (Post 3736970)
I have spoken with the student doing the research, and have taken the survey. There are no loaded questions by any means, and does not in any way seem to aligned with any cause which would be detrimental to our hunting pursuits. I am inclined to want to help out and be hospitable. Survey is also very short.

I agree there are no questions that anyone
couldn't answer to anyone who is a normal hunter .

58thecat 02-22-2018 05:40 AM

Done, easy, not sure how these questions gather data to provide what info but either way painless to complete.:)

catnthehat 02-22-2018 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish along (Post 3737033)
I agree there are no questions that anyone
couldn't answer to anyone who is a normal hunter .

I looked at it yesterday and saw the thread was closed.
Mods cleaned it up and ready- opened it afterwards after some investigation I suppose . I then filled it out last night .:)
Cat

Zuludog 02-22-2018 06:19 AM

Done.

sns2 02-22-2018 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 3737068)
I looked at it yesterday and saw the thread was closed.
Mods cleaned it up and ready- opened it afterwards after some investigation I suppose . I then filled it out last night .:)
Cat

You are right, Cat. I conversed with the young person last night. Comes from a family of hunters, and is personally involved in falconry! Kinda makes him/her one of us I'd say. Wants to do a research on hunters' values in BC and AB, as there is not much out there.

Kid is just looking to get a degree. Student is in Dr Walker's class. This Dr Walker seems to do a lot of research into the branding of animals (cows and sea lions). Dr Walker could be the devil incarnate, but this is just a young person in her class.

I was in an English class once where the prof's area of specialty was gay men's literature. After the date where we could no longer drop the class w/o penalty, he made us read novels about middle eastern men sodomizing each other and animals. That class, though I got the worst mark in my university career, never made me middle eastern nor one who sodomizes people or cows. People get so bent out of shape over nothing. I hope the kid gets a heckuva good mark!

35 whelen 02-22-2018 07:04 AM

Done

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

elkhunter11 02-22-2018 07:17 AM

I initially hesitated to complete the questions, once I saw the three options for sex, as that type of nonsense makes me wonder about the people that came up with this, but I did finish the questions.

SlimChance 02-22-2018 07:54 AM

Done. Hopefully this ends up being able to counter some of the negative (and I think largely unfounded) stereotypes of hunters.

mattthegorby 02-22-2018 09:05 AM

Done.

Thought it as a very open and well written survey to help identify possible research questions.

Scott h 02-22-2018 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sns2 (Post 3736970)

Thanks for posting your experience. I was doubtful, so I skipped right over it, but I will probably have a second look now.

Scott h 02-22-2018 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MugEye (Post 3737007)
What are you hope on gaining from these Surveys?

Actually surveys/papers are used all the time by those making policy change to back up their work (think about violence against woman, housing density, etc).

Scott h 02-22-2018 09:34 AM

Done

ReconWilly 02-22-2018 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sns2 (Post 3737074)
You are right, Cat. I conversed with the young person last night. Comes from a family of hunters, and is personally involved in falconry! Kinda makes him/her one of us I'd say. Wants to do a research on hunters' values in BC and AB, as there is not much out there.

Kid is just looking to get a degree. Student is in Dr Walker's class. This Dr Walker seems to do a lot of research into the branding of animals (cows and sea lions). Dr Walker could be the devil incarnate, but this is just a young person in her class.

I was in an English class once where the prof's area of specialty was gay men's literature. After the date where we could no longer drop the class w/o penalty, he made us read novels about middle eastern men sodomizing each other and animals. That class, though I got the worst mark in my university career, never made me middle eastern nor one who sodomizes people or cows. People get so bent out of shape over nothing. I hope the kid gets a heckuva good mark!

Hope that class was worth the price...wtf are they teaching people in University that is worth life long debt?

sns2 02-22-2018 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReconWilly (Post 3737173)
Hope that class was worth the price...wtf are they teaching people in University that is worth life long debt?

Nothing but debauchery in that class.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

ReconWilly 02-22-2018 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sns2 (Post 3737174)
Nothing but debauchery in that class.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I never meant to come across like dick, but wow i have been to some strange place's on the net and i am fairly open minded but that is one of the most disturbing comments that i have ever read anywhere...hahahaha

I'll stick to being an uneducated moron if that's what they are teaching!

huntvalues 02-22-2018 09:58 AM

Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntvalues (Post 3736953)
Hi!

I am an undergraduate student at the University of British Columbia and am completing a thesis project. We are interested in perspectives of hunters in British Columbia and Alberta. Hunters' perspectives are often overlooked in research which is why we are interested in this topic. My background in hunting is limited to falconry, but have registered hunters in my family. My research will be based on the results of this survey with the intention of publishing these results in a wildlife management journal.

We would greatly appreciate your input in taking a 5-10 minute survey to share your thoughts on hunting in Alberta: http://lfs.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_2bf4wACAZvGFG9n

Thank you for your time!

Thank you all so much for your responses. I have received a lot of replies and have now paused collection (can only work through so much data in a limited time period). I greatly appreciate it!