Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Ion 8" (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=420531)

trapperdodge 03-04-2023 08:32 PM

Ion 8"

Bought an Ion 5 years back from Cabelas. Yesterday while cleaning out holes we fished the day before the ring on the flight snapped. This is the pot metal piece that holds the blades.

Went online to try and buy a replacement. Ion says it's discontinued and will not be available. They apologize and say search on line or at repair shops.

Not sure what the next step is. I don't want to purchase a new flight. Might try and rig something.

Anybody experience an Ion snapping like that? The auger wasn't abused and it was a simple cleanout

mikevv 03-04-2023 09:17 PM

Same thing happened to me. Mine was a 10 inch. I had to buy new flighting. Note to self, dig new holes.
Mike

Egymcara 03-04-2023 09:22 PM

buy strikemaster and 0 problems.

Frank_NK28 03-05-2023 12:24 AM

:party0052:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Egymcara (Post 4615890)

:party0052:

Hunter4ever12 03-05-2023 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Egymcara (Post 4615890)

Lol that’s cute :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trapperdodge 03-05-2023 11:12 AM

I shoulda grabbed the ice chisel and chipped the holes out. You'd think an auger that costs what an Ion does would be able to handle an task as routine as opening a hole.

58thecat 03-05-2023 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trapperdodge (Post 4616043)
I shoulda grabbed the ice chisel and chipped the holes out. You'd think an auger that costs what an Ion does would be able to handle an task as routine as opening a hole.

I tried that once with the strikemaster 40V and man the torque when got stuck jammed my thumb real bad so no more reopening holes especially when they sat overnight.

Egymcara 03-05-2023 01:21 PM

All kidding aside, strikemaster actually warns against opening old holes. Before I bought my auger I actually used my buddies Ion and the rest is history. I purchased it the first month it was released and never looked back. Only draw back is super expensive blades that can't be resharpened correctly.

PS: I do own ion bags for my auger and batteries :innocent:

needmoretoys 03-07-2023 09:09 PM

Any Eskimo or Ion flight will work. Best deal is an Eskimo Pistol. Same blades and everything. You then can upgrade to a plastic flight to save weight and get ice off easier.

Facebook Market Place or Kijiji sometimes has used ones guys don’t want anymore or who upgraded to a 10”

trapperdodge 03-08-2023 09:35 AM

Thanks. Good advice. If anybody has one for sale let me know

trapperdodge 03-26-2023 07:02 PM

Went for the cheap fix and bought a Bass Pro Eze Drill flight, . $130 on sale at Cabelas. It's made for an electric drill and comes with the flange so it wont go down the hole. Take off the flange and it bolts up to the Ion head. It's light weight, nylon flighting, centre point blades and a metal ring, not pot metal like the Ion had.

I dunno maybe it wont stand up and I've only drilled a few 40" holes but so far it seems ok.

English Setter 03-27-2023 10:41 AM

Call the fishing hole. I was at the south side, a few days ago and bought a new alpha. I mentioned the issue about those rings and they said they have been handing them out from time to time. They may still have some. BTW I have a four year old Ion X 8” if anyone is interested PM me

TROLLER 03-27-2023 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Egymcara (Post 4616089)
All kidding aside, strikemaster actually warns against opening old holes. Before I bought my auger I actually used my buddies Ion and the rest is history. I purchased it the first month it was released and never looked back. Only draw back is super expensive blades that can't be resharpened correctly.

PS: I do own ion bags for my auger and batteries :innocent:

I just had my Strike Master 24volt blades sharpened and they cut like new.

Hightech in Airdrie Brent 403 999 2355 best part 15 bucks and they cut like the new 100 set.

CNP 03-27-2023 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trapperdodge (Post 4621868)
Went for the cheap fix and bought a Bass Pro Eze Drill flight, . $130 on sale at Cabelas. It's made for an electric drill and comes with the flange so it wont go down the hole. Take off the flange and it bolts up to the Ion head. It's light weight, nylon flighting, centre point blades and a metal ring, not pot metal like the Ion had.

I dunno maybe it wont stand up and I've only drilled a few 40" holes but so far it seems ok.

I bought the Cabelas EZE Drill flight a few years ago for $80 (for my ION). Looks the same except for the flange (mine had a handle). Going strong with it. I drill holes like there is no tomorrow :) Thousands of holed drilled with it.