Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Favourite crankbait? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=350641)

chain2 09-02-2018 09:51 PM

Favourite crankbait?

I've always used and trusted Rapalas. Shad rap and bx are still top shelf producers for me, to the point where im Almost bias to any new offering. But last year purchased a couple berkley flicker shad and pro minnow. Favoring the minnow for casting and trolling over any other now. Guess Ive had blinders on for years. Anyone have a favourite go to crank I should have in the box?

pikergolf 09-03-2018 06:19 AM

For pike I favor the big Rapala's, Super Shad Rap and the various magnums. For walleye I have always liked the Wally Diver.

HappyShootMore 09-03-2018 06:47 AM

Reef Runners have produced some big walleye for me.

silver 09-03-2018 07:50 AM

Canadian Wigler in red and white works for me.

Steyr Luxus 09-03-2018 08:52 AM

Rapala Husky Jerk in the various colour combinations.You have to change it up depending on the water conditions.

walleyechaser 09-03-2018 09:51 AM

Rapala shad rap is a old classic. I prefer the flicker shads and minnows as rapalas price makes no sense anymore. Both work really well. Mouse colour is pretty solid. Flat line trolling size 11 flicker minnows works pretty good for the bigger walleye and pike

Bomber model A, Wally divers and reef runners are all great too

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Penner 09-03-2018 10:14 AM

Rapala tail dancer. Chartreuse and black works like magic.

chain2 09-03-2018 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyShootMore (Post 3835599)
Reef Runners have produced some big walleye for me.

Thx. This one is on my radar. Any particular model or color.

chain2 09-03-2018 04:48 PM

Thanks for replying. I have cabelas gift cards to use up so will be stocking up this week. Any comments on sebile,live target , or cabelas brand offerings? Looking mainly for diving 8- 18 feet. jointed or solid. Great finish and swims good outa the box. Thx again good fishing, chain

crazyfish 09-03-2018 04:55 PM

I like the live target blue herring , great for early spring pike up shallow , the lake trout like them too with a downrigger ! other wise its wally divers ,

HappyShootMore 09-03-2018 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chain2 (Post 3835830)

Jeez... buy a variety of colours..... lol.
Colours I have in both Deep Divers and Deep Little rippers -
- Toxic purple
- Hot Tamale
- Wonderbread
- Chrome/Black
- Barbie
- Golden Shiner.
Etc....
I love using reefers trolling in late fall on Last Mountain, Sk. Preferably, Barbie and Purple Nurple.
Caught many walleye beast with those colours.

pikeman06 09-03-2018 07:47 PM

The "dives to" in blue and chrome that dives to 18ft is killer this time of year when the whites are moving shallower. Catch big wallies and Jacks. Fish that 20 to 15 ft break. Just troll, troll and troll some more. Boring but when you hook those nice big mature fall fish you snap out of it quick.

Jigapoolza 09-03-2018 09:55 PM

I like the Live Target Yellow Perch size 3 5/8 ". It says dives 7-10 ft . That must be casting because I know trolling I can get them down 20-25 ft no problem.

SamSteele 09-04-2018 11:15 AM

Storm Hot n Tot in the original (not mad flash) colors is great for walleye.

SS

Okotok 09-04-2018 01:14 PM

Dam Effzett spoons.

dryflyguy 09-04-2018 04:22 PM

Rapala Clackin Raps are my favorites
Great for casting around weeds and drops and trolls pretty nicely too, albeit not very deep (lipless)

Fire Tiger and Gold Olive patterns have given me the most success

My only beef is the SureSet treble tends to break after awhile, so you need to either replace it with a standard treble when you buy it or have extras on hand just in case

Bushleague 09-04-2018 04:45 PM

Rapala original f18 for pike, pretty much any color seems to work.

For walleye my top producers are the Cotton Cordell Wally Diver, and the Storm Hot n' Tot. They beat anything I've tried from Rapala by a long shot on most days.

SamSteele 09-04-2018 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dryflyguy (Post 3836254)

Great for casting around weeds and drops and trolls pretty nicely too, albeit not very deep (lipless)

My only beef is the SureSet treble tends to break after awhile, so you need to either replace it with a standard treble when you buy it or have extras on hand just in case

Problem is that they discontinued them. If you find them on EBay they are ridiculously priced.

ddddd05 09-04-2018 10:32 PM

I have always liked the Rattlin' Rap. It dives very well and doesn't get hooked up on weeds easily.

walleyechaser 09-05-2018 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dryflyguy (Post 3836254)

Have you tried rippin raps? One of my favourite walleye lures

walleyechaser 09-05-2018 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chain2 (Post 3835830)

Green flash, cranberry crusher and wonder bread are my favorite colours.

Reef runners need tuning out of the box and while fishing

dryflyguy 09-05-2018 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walleyechaser (Post 3836557)
Have you tried rippin raps? One of my favourite walleye lures

I do have a few in my box, Yellow Perch and Pearl Grey Shiner patterns
Actually had a Pike take my last Pearl Grey at Touchwood a couple weeks ago, might have to go re-stock my tackle box with a few new patterns to try!

dryflyguy 09-05-2018 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamSteele (Post 3836437)
Problem is that they discontinued them. If you find them on EBay they are ridiculously priced.

Yeah, I came to this realization yesterday after I posted, too bad!
My remaining clackin raps are beat all to hell, so I was hoping to replace a few

Like walleyechaser suggested, i'll have to pick up a bunch of the rippin raps as they are pretty similar and I have had luck with those too

Drewski Canuck 09-06-2018 11:04 AM

Off a bottom bouncer with 15# florocarbon leader, it is really hard to beat a Cotton Cordell Ripplin redfin, especially the floating one that turns SIDEWAYS when it stops and starts to float up.

The Suspending model will also turn sideways, just not the rising action that really triggers a strike from a following (BIGGGG) Fish.

Canadian Wigglers, Walleye Divers, Rap Husky Jerk 14's, all are good and I have lots of all of them.

But if money is no object, and you want to see what I am talking about, get some Ripplin Redfins, and 3 ounce bottom bouncers, and every once in a while on the troll, put the boat in neutral and let it drift to a stop and let the Ripplin Redfin turn sideways and start to rise.

Best fun you can have without the risk of pregnancy.

Drewski

walleyechaser 09-07-2018 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dryflyguy (Post 3836615)
I do have a few in my box, Yellow Perch and Pearl Grey Shiner patterns
Actually had a Pike take my last Pearl Grey at Touchwood a couple weeks ago, might have to go re-stock my tackle box with a few new patterns to try!

Crawdad, gold back and purpledescent are great

Tomasz20 09-07-2018 10:17 AM

For me, my favourites have to be the x-raps, and I also like the deep tail dancers.

dshot 09-08-2018 05:06 PM

Rapala Scatter Rap: - blue n silver
- chartreuse n silver

SamSteele 09-09-2018 12:59 PM

Favourite crankbait?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...d3539b53fb.jpg

Nothing wrong with the original Rapala Floating Minnow run behind a 2 oz bottom bouncer around 1.2-1.5 mph on a 4’ ft leader either. Classics stay around for a reason.

SS

67ZL1 09-11-2018 08:25 PM

#11 Tail Dancers, #12 Deep Husky Jerks, 600 & 800 Reef Runners, #9 & 11 Flicker Minnows, #5 Deep Salmo Hornets and finally Bandits Deep Divers.

NSR Fisher 09-12-2018 12:36 PM

I gotta suggest the Berkley Flicker minnows as a nice slim-profile crank.

They run extremely deep as well, the box says 17 ft but if you have enough line out and the right speed they can go 25-30 easy.

Lipless cranks like a rattlin rap are awesome too. I like to fish them drifting them with the wind, just keeping my line taught and ripping it off the bottom after it settles.

Lipless cranks are very effective for sniping suspended fish as well. After marking a larger fish while back trolling you can kick it into forwards and drop your crank down (rattlin raps sink really fast) and with 1 or 2 jigs you can usually entice a bite and the quick reversal of the motor will keep you in the zone.