Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Hunting Suspension (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=371123)

BorealHuntsman 10-21-2019 12:43 AM

Hunting Suspension

hey so i know of a person who has been suspended for a season, is it illegal for them to tag along and drive a vehicle with a hunter? If he isn’t hunting and has no intentions by not having a rifle or being out on foot with a weapon is that still legal?

ABDUKNUT 10-21-2019 02:41 AM

Is this another waterfowl outfitting thread?

LKILR 10-21-2019 06:04 AM

There some interpretation needs to be determined. Is driving a truck participating in the “hunt”? My opinion is it should be ok to drive around in a vehicle. But if they are spotting game then they are participating.

last minute 10-21-2019 06:13 AM

Not hunting ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BorealHuntsman (Post 4043018)
hey so i know of a person who has been suspended for a season, is it illegal for them to tag along and drive a vehicle with a hunter? If he isn’t hunting and has no intentions by not having a rifle or being out on foot with a weapon is that still legal?

Great first post .:) I am no legal expert so I won't comment on it being illegal or legal.

krthegunslinger 10-21-2019 07:38 AM

Legal to tag along

Been there done that unfortunately. The suspended hunter is not allowed to shoot. Drive truck, push bush etc etc is not actually shooting so not hunting. Participation is allowed.

Lefty-Canuck 10-21-2019 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krthegunslinger (Post 4043047)
Been there done that unfortunately. The suspended hunter is not allowed to shoot. Drive truck, push bush etc etc is not actually shooting so not hunting. Participation is allowed.

“Pushing bush” is actually hunting as per the regulations definition. They are best to ask the F&W folks what they can and cannot do. As you can see below many activities outside of “shooting” an animal are considered and defined as “hunting”.

From the Alberta Wildlife Act:

“hunt” means, subject to subsection (6), with reference to a subject animal,
(i) shoot at, harass or worry,
(ii) chase, pursue, follow after or on the trail of, search for, flush, stalk or lie in wait for,
(iii) capture or wilfully injure or kill,
(iv) attempt to capture, injure or kill, or
(v) assist another person to hunt in a manner specified in subclause (i), (ii), (iii) or (iv) while that other person is so hunting;

LC

calgarychef 10-21-2019 09:27 AM

Quote:

It might be best for them to sit out the season and think about what a lifetime suspension would feel like.

saskbooknut 10-21-2019 11:12 AM

X2 on sit it out.
Secondly, asking anyone except a Wildlife official is crazy.
Like getting legal advice on the internet. Oh, that's exactly what this is.

Akoch 10-21-2019 11:27 AM

Sub clause ii always confused me, literally all of those things are done by wildlife photographers, birders and those types. If weapons or intent don’t factor into whether it’s hunting then could the argument not be made that they would be required to follow all hunting regulations? To me the intent for someone to shoot makes it hunting even if you aren’t the one “hunting”.

Bigwoodsman 10-21-2019 12:17 PM

I would think if they are driving, pushing bush, running cutlines looking for sign then that would be classed as hunting. If they are sitting in camp, cutting wood, cooking, etc. Then that would be camping.

BW

IAMhunt 10-21-2019 12:37 PM

If a persons drivers licence is under suspension ?

Wouldn't it be against the law to ride along in a motor vehicle ? :thinking-006:

Lefty-Canuck 10-21-2019 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAMhunt (Post 4043179)

Wouldn't it be against the law to ride along in a motor vehicle ? :thinking-006:

Is that how the law is written?? Lol NO silly argument.

LC

Bigwoodsman 10-21-2019 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAMhunt (Post 4043179)

In this case the person would have a driving suspension, not a riding suspension!

BW

IAMhunt 10-21-2019 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman (Post 4043185)
In this case the person would have a driving suspension, not a riding suspension!

BW

And post #1 is about someone who has been suspended from purchasing a hunting licence for 1 year ,

Not suspended from riding in vehicles , lmao :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Lefty-Canuck 10-21-2019 03:02 PM

Your comparison of hunting to driving is absurd and makes little to no sense BTW.

LC

raw outdoors 10-21-2019 03:29 PM

You could probably talk to fish and wildlife officer #1 he would tell you yes its allowed then be out and officer #2 charge him for being out there. He should probably just take a year off.

58thecat 10-21-2019 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck (Post 4043050)
“Pushing bush” is actually hunting as per the regulations definition. They are best to ask the F&W folks what they can and cannot do. As you can see below many activities outside of “shooting” an animal are considered and defined as “hunting”.

From the Alberta Wildlife Act:

“hunt” means, subject to subsection (6), with reference to a subject animal,
(i) shoot at, harass or worry,
(ii) chase, pursue, follow after or on the trail of, search for, flush, stalk or lie in wait for,
(iii) capture or wilfully injure or kill,
(iv) attempt to capture, injure or kill, or
(v) assist another person to hunt in a manner specified in subclause (i), (ii), (iii) or (iv) while that other person is so hunting;

LC

looks black and white to me.....sit it out cuz if your there you are part of all of the above....

pikergolf 10-21-2019 04:48 PM

I saw the title of the thread and said to myself, I bet he's asking for a friend.

Lefty-Canuck 10-21-2019 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pikergolf (Post 4043245)
I saw the title of the thread and said to myself, I bet he's asking for a friend.

Yup great 1st post :)

LC

Joe Black 10-21-2019 05:07 PM

So you can't walk, without a firearm, with a liscenced hunter in the bush, or on a trail, or in a vehicle if you are suspended? You are now hunting? YOu cannot accompany to help retrieve a downed animal?

Because if the above is the case, a non hunter, not carrying a rifle, is breaking the law by accompanying a liscenced hunter at any time, even in a vehicle, let alone while the other individual is actively hunting. Even a child accompanying and adult.

Both senarios are the same. The accompanying person is not hunting. Period. 100% legal.

Now start pushing bush, another story. Driving a truck around to pick up hunters, grey area.

Drive, walk, sit, stand, dance with a liscenced hunter all you want. Don't carry a gun. You are not hunting.

May be the best remedy to set your friend straight, seeing the enjoyment you're having this season.

Lefty-Canuck 10-21-2019 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Black (Post 4043250)
So you can't walk, without a firearm, with a liscenced hunter in the bush, or on a trail, or in a vehicle if you are suspended? You are now hunting? YOu cannot accompany to help retrieve a downed animal?

Because if the above is the case, a non hunter, not carrying a rifle, is breaking the law by accompanying a liscenced hunter at any time, even in a vehicle, let alone while the other individual is actively hunting. Even a child accompanying and adult.

Both senarios are the same. The accompanying person is not hunting. Period. 100% legal.

Now start pushing bush, another story. Driving a truck around to pick up hunters, grey area.

Drive, walk, sit, stand, dance with a liscenced hunter all you want. Don't carry a gun. You are not hunting.

May be the best remedy to set your friend straight, seeing the enjoyment you're having this season.

Up to the judge and courts to decide what the definition covers :)

LC

Joe Black 10-21-2019 05:46 PM

I will agree that I also think it is a great first post. Nice to see people seeking advise to legitamet hunting senarios.

Too bad there are those on this forum that would rather fear monger and feel they need to be the moral authority and lecture those that post.

Yah, go into the bush, don't do anything illegal, and you now have to stand before a court and judge? the liberals have not formed government with the NDP yet, so I don't think we are in russia(yet)

Post once or 33333333333333333 times. No body needs a lecture.

Anyways, one of the first things a co will ask anybody is,"are you hunting" answer is no. End of conversation.

Now try walking around the bush with a firearm staying you need it for protection, again, your asking for it.

Lefty-Canuck 10-21-2019 06:02 PM

If your post was directed to me...where did I lecture? I quoted exact regulation helping out the OP.

LC

Jim 10-21-2019 06:08 PM

Hunting

So if you are tagged out for the season it would be classed as illegal to sit in a stand or a blind with your child because by definition you are hunting with no tag. Got it.

raw outdoors 10-21-2019 06:08 PM

I’m sure the guy is a regular on this form but for this question a new account was made. I bet after this post he goes back to his old account and this one goes silent. Guy is just asking a question but is scared to post because he doesn’t want to get roasted.

Joe Black 10-21-2019 06:13 PM

:)

Lefty-Canuck 10-21-2019 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim (Post 4043281)
So if you are tagged out for the season it would be classed as illegal to sit in a stand or a blind with your child because by definition you are hunting with no tag. Got it.

Coyotes are open past big game season and so are upland birds :)

LC

Joe Black 10-21-2019 06:25 PM

Up to the courts and judge to decide that one,,,,,,,,,

Sportsman 10-21-2019 06:43 PM

Quote:

Assuming you aren’t road hunting, he can ride in the truck and he can also have a firearm with him. He just can’t participate in the hunt as per his licence suspension. He can drop you guys off and go shoot coyotes on private land. He can then pick you up at dark or whatever. This isn’t communist China just yet.

Flatlandliver 10-21-2019 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Black (Post 4043250)

And... buddy with the suspension won’t be getting any breaks from f&w nor should they.