Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Trapping Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Trapline Signs (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=331117)

Shaggy 7510 10-10-2017 10:58 AM

Trapline Signs

Just curious if any of you RFMA holders are posting signs of active trapline and also anything at your cabins. Just looking for pros and cons ? Also what are you posting on your signs ? Name, Phone Number, keep out ..etc.etc? Trapline is close to rural with recreational users in the area.

Jify 10-10-2017 12:55 PM

I've contemplated posting, "WARNING: Wolf Traps set in snow, trespass at your own risk!"

But then I figured they'd just start trying to find the darn things and steal those too.

No signs this year for me...

Okotokian 10-10-2017 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jify (Post 3640624)
I've contemplated posting, "WARNING: Wolf Traps set in snow, trespass at your own risk!"

But then I figured they'd just start trying to find the darn things and steal those too.

No signs this year for me...

I can sure understand and sympathize, what with all the crazies trying to disrupt your trade. On the other hand, as a dog owner, I'd sure appreciate a heads up so I could put fido on leash and not risk him OR your trapline. I'd give you a wide berth.

Is there a website that a person can check to see if there is a trapline in an area you intend to go into? That would be helpful. Thanks.

D4l3k 10-10-2017 04:16 PM

We only put up 2 types of signs for traps

Our signs say for 330s around beaver ponds or lynx cubbies say

Danger active trapping in area, use caution
Trapline xxxx

For power snares they say:

Danger power snares on trails
Trapline xxxx

We do not put our names or anything like that, if anyone needs to contact us we prefer they go thru fish and wildlife /AEP and they can contact us

For our cabin our sign says: these building are private property and are authorized under xxxxxxx (our Alberta lands permit number) RFMA xxxx
No valuables kept on site
This is our winter home, please respect our belongings

209x50 10-10-2017 04:24 PM

I don't post signs. I don't post notice when I'm hunting or fishing either. This is based on the legal advice of a lawyer. He said that by posting signage it could be construed that I am accepting that it is my responsibility to warn people and should they get hurt at a spot that I haven't posted I could be sued. There are so many trails and access points on my trapline that I couldn't begin to cover it all and I'm not about to set myself up to be punished for doing a good deed. I have hundreds of traps and snares set every season on my line.

Junglefisher 10-10-2017 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okotokian (Post 3640677)
I can sure understand and sympathize, what with all the crazies trying to disrupt your trade. On the other hand, as a dog owner, I'd sure appreciate a heads up so I could put fido on leash and not risk him OR your trapline. I'd give you a wide berth.

Is there a website that a person can check to see if there is a trapline in an area you intend to go into? That would be helpful. Thanks.

Traplines are everywhere, just not all of them are actively trapped.

209x50 10-11-2017 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junglefisher (Post 3640842)
Traplines are everywhere, just not all of them are actively trapped.

Correct! All public or crown land are registered (RFMA) traplines.

Shaggy 7510 10-22-2017 07:42 PM

Thanks for the comments guys. I am thinking I won't be posting as per the comment on legalites. Do any of you post any signs at your cabins? Contact numbers etc.etc

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

TrapperMike 10-22-2017 09:26 PM

Sorry 209x50 not all crown land is registered trap line.

expedition 10-22-2017 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrapperMike (Post 3650028)
Sorry 209x50 not all crown land is registered trap line.

are you sure. I got a map and I disagree.do you have an example

HunterDave 10-22-2017 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by expedition (Post 3650052)
are you sure. I got a map and I disagree.do you have an example

I can back Mike on this one. You need to compare county maps to the rfma map. There's quite a bit of crown land not part of rfma's in my area north of Edmonton. That includes crown lease and, of course, bodies of water for beaver and muskrats. As a resident Trapper I trap some of it along with private property. I'm not going to say where I'm trapping crown land but if you post the rfma map near Westlock and Barrhead Counties, which I have County maps of, I'll give you examples of crown land that I'm not trapping......lol.

catnthehat 10-22-2017 10:50 PM

Any time I am on Criwn I assume I am on an RFMA and act accordingly when with or without the dogs .:)
Any trail in the area up here is pretty much a safe bet that it is accessed and trapped .
Cat

Big Grey Wolf 10-23-2017 08:56 AM

I believe some crown near communities in no longer RFMA. Alberta parks previous SRD do not resign some lines. However subject to above almost all green area is RFMA.

TrapperMike 10-23-2017 10:36 PM

There is crown land all over the province but are not registered trap lines. There is also privately owned land within registered traplines and the registered trapper does not have permission to trap on this land. The owner of this land can actually give a resident trapper permission to trap this land.

HunterDave 10-23-2017 10:59 PM

There's a Trapline on the old Athabasca highway east of Perryvale that is simply posted "Active Trapline #xxxx". No warnings or anything else.

catnthehat 10-24-2017 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HunterDave (Post 3650884)
There's a Trapline on the old Athabasca highway east of Perryvale that is simply posted "Active Trapline #xxxx". No warnings or anything else.

That there should be enough for any fool to realize there may be traps in the area, only a fool walks around anywhere blindly, in the bush or the city!:budo:
Cat