Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Archery Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   arrow flight issue (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=355883)

jmparker 12-09-2018 08:24 PM

arrow flight issue

I found an issue with my arrow flight this past bow season. with broad-heads on {slicktricks} I have arrows fishtailing pretty bad. i didn't notice it with field points on. The arrows will randomly swerve to the right or left, not every shot but maybe every other. its not the arrows, sometimes they fly fairly straight and sometimes they fly poorly and impact 4 or 5 inches left or right at 20 yards.

is this a bow setup issue? poor form? i can usually get a sub 3" group at 40 yards with field points so i don't know why my broad-heads fly so poorly.

heres my setup:
bowtech overdrive
29.5" draw
63#
100 grain heads
340 x1 pro arrows

any help or ideas would be appreciated

Lefty-Canuck 12-09-2018 08:26 PM

Tubing or form issue. Paper and bareshaft tune. Fixed blades exaggerate issues in tune and form.

LC

3blade 12-09-2018 08:43 PM

mechanical rest? That’s where I’d look first. Not dropping consistently or bouncing or one of the million other things that can and frequently does go wrong with mechanical rests. Try a whisker biscuit.

Slick tricks are definitely one of the better heads out there, as long as you are spin testing your arrow/broadhead combos the broadhead isn’t to blame, its showing you a problem.

jmparker 12-09-2018 08:58 PM

i do love the slicktricks! my rest is a QAD HD

petew 12-10-2018 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmparker (Post 3889407)
I found an issue with my arrow flight this past bow season. with broad-heads on {slicktricks} I have arrows fishtailing pretty bad. i didn't notice it with field points on. The arrows will randomly swerve to the right or left, not every shot but maybe every other. its not the arrows, sometimes they fly fairly straight and sometimes they fly poorly and impact 4 or 5 inches left or right at 20 yards.

is this a bow setup issue? poor form? i can usually get a sub 3" group at 40 yards with field points so i don't know why my broad-heads fly so poorly.

heres my setup:
bowtech overdrive
29.5" draw
63#
100 grain heads
340 x1 pro arrows

any help or ideas would be appreciated

if it is the arrow, or other part of the equipment it will be erratic every shot. :thinking-006: That just leaves the shooter to claim responsibility.

brendan's dad 12-10-2018 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petew (Post 3890334)
if it is the arrow, or other part of the equipment it will be erratic every shot. :thinking-006: That just leaves the shooter to claim responsibility.

Unless some arrows are spinning true and others are not. Also nock tuning or spine indexing can help (youtube). Basically either will put the stiff side of every arrow in the same location relative to the nock.

You can pick up an arrow spinner and nock squaring device fairly cheap on amazon.ca and it will be money well spent.

jmparker 12-12-2018 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brendan's dad (Post 3890367)
Unless some arrows are spinning true and others are not. Also nock tuning or spine indexing can help (youtube). Basically either will put the stiff side of every arrow in the same location relative to the nock.

You can pick up an arrow spinner and nock squaring device fairly cheap on amazon.ca and it will be money well spent.

ill have to do a little research. thanks!

Mountainaccent 12-13-2018 08:37 PM

I’ve always had good luck with slick tricks but switched to ram cats and rage hyperdermics for faster bows

nicodeemus1 01-15-2019 09:01 AM

have you checked to see if it's nock pinch? Maybe your nocks are too tight.