Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Right-Handed but Left-Eye Dominant (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=65442)

Spiffy 08-03-2010 10:34 PM

Right-Handed but Left-Eye Dominant

I'm right-handed, but my left eye is the dominant one. Even imagining holding a rifle left-handed feels really unnatural to me. I haven't done much shooting in the past, so should I just start learning how to shoot left-handed? My thinking is that it'd be easier to rewire my arms then rewire my eyes. Is shooting left-handed going to hold me back in anyway? Does anyone else have the same situation? Thanks.

whitetail Junkie 08-03-2010 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiffy (Post 644583)
I'm right-handed, but my left eye is the dominant one. Even imagining holding a rifle left-handed feels really unnatural to me. I haven't done much shooting in the past, so should I just start learning how to shoot left-handed? My thinking is that it'd be easier to rewire my arms then rewire my eyes. Is shooting left-handed going to hold be back in anyway? Does anyone else have the same situation? Thanks.

Ive never heard of that before! interesting,yet bad problem to have.Ever try shooting right handed,with a patch over your left eye? maybe that will help?

double gun 08-03-2010 10:43 PM

Quote:

I'm right-handed, but my left eye is the dominant one. Even imagining holding a rifle left-handed feels really unnatural to me. I haven't done much shooting in the past, so should I just start learning how to shoot left-handed? My thinking is that it'd be easier to rewire my arms then rewire my eyes. Is shooting left-handed going to hold be back in anyway? Does anyone else have the same situation? Thanks.

I would shoot however feels best for you. MPI stocks offers a right hand, left eye dominant stock - its not pretty, but should work.
http://www.mpistocks.com/righthandlefteye.jpg
mpistocks.com for more info.

gramps73 08-03-2010 10:47 PM

Quote:

I'm right-handed, but my left eye is the dominant one. Even imagining holding a rifle left-handed feels really unnatural to me. I haven't done much shooting in the past, so should I just start learning how to shoot left-handed? My thinking is that it'd be easier to rewire my arms then rewire my eyes. Is shooting left-handed going to hold me back in anyway? Does anyone else have the same situation? Thanks.

Talk to Sheephunter he has the same gift..
As for the down fall of being LH rifle selection is the only thing other then most lefties are better shots the righties...:scared0018:

whitetail Junkie 08-03-2010 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by double gun (Post 644601)
I would shoot however feels best for you. MPI stocks offers a right hand, left eye dominant stock - its not pretty, but should work.
http://www.mpistocks.com/righthandlefteye.jpg
mpistocks.com for more info.

You learn something everyday,I never knew such stocks existed,very cool.

Pathfinder76 08-03-2010 11:07 PM

I would call it very uncool. But that's just me.

I would also say that there are allot more left eye dominant right handed people than you think.

whitetail Junkie 08-03-2010 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck (Post 644646)

I would also say that there are allot more left eye dominant right handed people than you think.

yaa glad I dont have that Problem,except in hockey I shoot left,everything else is Right.

rottie 08-04-2010 05:43 AM

I have the same problem, I started shooting off my right shoulder before we found out I was left dominate
All I have ever had to do was close my left eye while shooting,it feels more natural than trying left shoulder shooting

AB2506 08-04-2010 07:11 AM

My twelve and thirteen year old girls are both right hand/left eye dominant. I gave them the choice of shooting left handed, or right handed. They both chose right handed because it felt better. They still tried to aim with the left eye. They had difficulty closing their left eye when aiming, so I resolved the issue by putting a little bit of tape in the middle of the left lense of their shooting glasses. Now they have to use their right eye to aim. It works great. The 13 year old shot a nice whitetail last year.

sdeviation 08-04-2010 07:21 AM

im the same left eye right handed
i shoot rifle right handed,close left eye(own right handed rifles).
took about 30 days to switch left handed for shotgun.

catnthehat 08-04-2010 07:23 AM

Shoot of the side preffered , using a scope and close the dominant eye?
My son's eye dominance CHANGED when he was about 12, THAT was weird!!:sign0068:
When I asked about it, I was told that it happens more frequently than some would expect.
Cat

carmike 08-04-2010 07:59 AM

I'm in the same boat too!

I never made a conscious decision to shoot off my left side, but that's the way I've always shot a rifle. I never thought about it until a few years ago when I was buying a rifle and the saleman pointed it out to me. He asked me if I wanted to try out a left handed gun, but when I did, it just didn't feel right?!?

All I can say is shoot the way it is most comfortable for you...

steve 08-04-2010 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck (Post 644646)

I'm one of those wierdo's :lol:

Wanted 08-04-2010 10:17 AM

I have the same thing. After many years in the military, I have always shot with my left eye closed, and have always been a good shot.

6.5x47 lapua 08-04-2010 01:18 PM

i think rifle shooting would not be a problem.i am left handed right eye dominant.when i was quite young my father made me shoot clays right handed concluding that without depth perception it would be that much harder to do.i am truly glad he did that as i thoroughly enjoy shotgun and pistol shooting,both requiring depth perception.

Big Bull 08-04-2010 02:12 PM

I'm right-handed, right eye dominant, but shoot left handed. I don't have any problems using my left eye to shoot with a scoped rifle, but I can't hit anything with a shotgun any more. Guess I'll have to learn to shoot right handed, if I ever want to go bird hunting again.

Jerry D 08-04-2010 02:44 PM

I'm left eye dominant and initially shot right handed.

I made the switch to shooting LH at a young age. It feels unnatural at first but becomes natural as time progresses.

My best advice when making the switch is to shoot lots. A nice pellet gun or .22 is good for this.

Ryry4 08-04-2010 03:31 PM

Quote:

I've got an uncle with the same problem, he taught himself to shoot left-handed. It'll take some time and practice, but is definitely doable.

fitzy 08-04-2010 08:48 PM

I have the same problem, I learned to shoot right handed (20 years later my dad still doesn't know what a dominant eye is ). I taught my self how to shoot left with my .22 about 10 years ago. It was pretty hard to get used to but I'm glad I did it I can shoot off a rest great with both hands and when I shoot big game freehand I shoot left. The only problem I have is running bolts shooting left handed, but on the plus side of things it's great for shooting a shot gun!

flyguyd 08-04-2010 09:47 PM

I am left handed ,right eye dominant , I changed over to shooting right handed when i was about 14 . Shot a few hundred rounds of ammo to get used to it ,but im a much better shot because of it . The only catch is the shotgun even after 30 yrs im still not great at it .

jaylow? 08-04-2010 10:04 PM

my boss has that problem. he looks very un-natural trying to shoot. i was unaware that it was as common as it seems to be.

tappen 08-04-2010 10:11 PM

Im in the same boat, just close my left eye, whats the disadvantages of this?

Pioneer2 08-04-2010 10:19 PM

they're called a crossover stock........

People with permanent eye injuries through accident etc in the past had a stockmaker build such a stock.You shoulder it the same just using your good eye........Harold

Tundra Monkey 08-06-2010 01:31 PM

I'm in the same boat as you. I changed shooting hands at 16 because I was "too cool" to wear glasses.

Now I shoot left. What a freakin' mistake that was.....finding deals on lefties is brutal....definately goes against my Scottish heritage paying premiums and top dollar!!

If you can have the operation to fix your eyes....I'd go that route. Glasses to correct your non dominant eye should work for you though.

So....I'd go glasses to bring your eye up to snuff with the other one. If it's not a clarity issue I'd just keep blasting righthanded.

tm

sidenote....I was a natural lefty in golf too....but Grandpa played righthanded....so me to. You know how many deals you find on lefty clubs.....arrrgggg....can't win for losing :sign0161:

H380 08-06-2010 11:00 PM

Been left eye dom. right handed for ever and shot left handed that way too, no problem ..too bad gun makers limit our selections by being lefty"s.. :sign0176:

flint 08-07-2010 04:38 AM

Quote:

Spiffy, how did you conclude that you are left eye dominant? Were there any tests that you performed to conclude your findings? I know if you stretch out your arm and point at a small object with the index finger, then close the left eye and then the right eye and where your finger is closest to that object then that is suppose to be your do dominant eye.

LB 270 08-07-2010 07:34 AM

My son has the same issue. Compounded with the fact that he can't see so well out of his right eye. Because we found this out when he was 8 or 9 it made his choice to shoot left handed an easy one. He is a fairly good shot too.

Dean2 08-07-2010 09:56 AM

Do the work it takes to shoot with your dominate eye, even if it means you have to buy a Browning left hand auto because you can't learn to work the bolt properly. You will be a much better shot, shooting game with both eyes open is a huge advantage, and for shotgun and pistol it is mandatory to have both eyes open.

As you get older, your dominate eye will become more dominate and it will stay stronger longer than the weak eye. When you get over 50 you will be very glad you did the work when you were young.

Tundra Monkey 08-08-2010 09:25 AM

Wait till ya try a bow :mad0100:

tm

redneck posse 08-08-2010 10:36 AM

I'm Right handed but left eye dominate. i have no problem shooting both my bow and riffles left handed. it just takes some practice, after 38 years it feels very natural