Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Using a Leaf Blower for Snow (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=352909)

dwedmon 10-13-2018 11:19 AM

Using a Leaf Blower for Snow

I'm thinking of getting a backpack style leaf blower to use on snow this year. Does anyone else use one? I'm wondering about how strong a blower I need, any idea about what MPH or CFM I should be looking at?

Thanks

sewerrat 10-13-2018 11:23 AM

They are nice for light dustings, and if you don't mind being covered in snow from blowing snow.

YYC338 10-13-2018 11:40 AM

They work fantastic in the right application. I have a Stihl BR600 and it has plenty of power to move a decent depth of snow.

Where you'll have limitations is when the snow is very wet, like the dump we got in Calgary recently or when the snow gets piled 3ft deep on each side of the sidewalk. The blowers have trouble lifting it that high and getting it off the sidewalk. You tend to chase it around a bit.

Don't really get to covered in snow unless you're in a confined area or aren't mindful of wind direction.

It's what all the snow removal crews use and they don't get paid by the hour. You can work fast with a blower.

bobalong 10-13-2018 11:40 AM

Is this just for your own use or for a work application? I think almost every car lot I see uses them, not sure the power of these but they really move the snow.

I have a 14.5 amp (electric) not sure about cfm. For the bit I have to do it works fine, but I wouldn't go any smaller for sure.

harv3589 10-13-2018 11:44 AM

Use mine all the time for snow...it gets used more in the winter than in summer. Great for cleaning of the vehicle too.

fishtank 10-13-2018 11:58 AM

get the best one

get the back pack stihl br600 or br700 will not need a shovel( unless its wet snow) be sure to get a clear face shield ... cause if you catch a change of direction to gust of wind its a full face wash:sign0068:

257STW 10-13-2018 12:09 PM

Hello,

I definitely second the recommendations on the Stihl BR600 blower. Awesome for decks and driveways especially if you have to move snow in between railings on the deck. I have a backpack Husqvarna that sits idle because of my BR600. I was going to look at the BR700 but I think the BR600 has more air velocity and I feel this is what moves the snow.

Cheers
Max

Jeff336 10-13-2018 12:54 PM

Blowers are great for the snow. and as an added bonus you can use it all summer to get the truck dry and not leave any streaks or water spots on the mirrors.

elkhunter1234 10-13-2018 01:09 PM

We use them all the time in the winter for blowing out railroad track switches..

Jim..

happy honker 10-13-2018 01:09 PM

Ha! This reminds me of my buddy who is always ranting about his neighbor who compulsively uses his leaf blower at least 3 times every day no matter what, starting at 6:30 or 7 in the morning.

He's an old retired guy who gets that thing out for anything, snow, leaves, dust, tree buds in spring, ant poop, shadows.

Almost constant use during a snowfall.

It drives my buddy absolutely bananas, as he often works nights and this guy is out there all the time no matter what using the blower.

Sometimes I phone him and bring up the subject just to hear him go off, lol. That's what friends are for right?
"So, has your neighbor been out with the leaf blower today?" (put down phone, go make a sandwich, come back several minutes later....)

gtree 10-13-2018 02:08 PM

My CFM has been working fine for me. You wont regret

tallieho 10-13-2018 02:17 PM

I weht withStihl biggest hand held.Same motor as the back pack.Works great,got an attach.that vaccums up &mulches the leaves.Barlow trail south of 16av.Home & GARDEN place

dwedmon 10-13-2018 03:17 PM

Its just for my home use. I live on a corner so I've got a lot of sidewalk and driveway to clear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobalong (Post 3854715)
Is this just for your own use or for a work application? I think almost every car lot I see uses them, not sure the power of these but they really move the snow.

I have a 14.5 amp (electric) not sure about cfm. For the bit I have to do it works fine, but I wouldn't go any smaller for sure.

dwedmon 10-13-2018 03:19 PM

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm going to look at a Stihl. I'm also thinking about this Ryobi from Home Depot - only $250 shipped to your door and seems to have a decent amount of power.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.1...001034020.html

guster 10-13-2018 04:39 PM

Have Stihl backpack,cleans mine and neighbors on both sides. Works great as
long as snow is not to wet. Sold the snowblower.

Xbolt7mm 10-13-2018 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewerrat (Post 3854705)
They are nice for light dustings, and if you don't mind being covered in snow from blowing snow.

They will blow 4-5 inchs just fine if its not wet
, just be smarter than the snow blower and dont blow it into the wind,,,,,do you get wet when you pee outside,,same deal geeeesh

Xbolt7mm 10-13-2018 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwedmon (Post 3854815)
Thanks for everyone's input. I'm going to look at a Stihl. I'm also thinking about this Ryobi from Home Depot - only $250 shipped to your door and seems to have a decent amount of power.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.1...001034020.html

Don’t go too small,,,,get a 600,,its not 250 shaped to your door

lannie 10-13-2018 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm (Post 3854847)
They will blow 4-5 inchs just fine if its not wet
, just be smarter than the snow blower and dont blow it into the wind,,,,,do you get wet when you pee outside,,same deal geeeesh

If you spray into any corners or up against a fence etc you will get snow covered.
I have a Stihl 700 which works well for dry snow but thats it. The ground you are blowing snow off of also needs to be dry too. I would advice against using any kind of ice melt if you want to use your blower as the next snow fall will stick to it.

dodger 10-13-2018 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YYC338 (Post 3854714)
They work fantastic in the right application. I have a Stihl BR600 and it has plenty of power to move a decent depth of snow.

Where you'll have limitations is when the snow is very wet, like the dump we got in Calgary recently or when the snow gets piled 3ft deep on each side of the sidewalk. The blowers have trouble lifting it that high and getting it off the sidewalk. You tend to chase it around a bit.

Don't really get to covered in snow unless you're in a confined area or aren't mindful of wind direction.

It's what all the snow removal crews use and they don't get paid by the hour. You can work fast with a blower.

I use a BR600 and love it. Instead of busting my back I can move a good chunk of snow. Never used a shovel last year and I looked after my house and 2 other homes with senior lady’s.

Dodger.

Xbolt7mm 10-13-2018 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lannie (Post 3854856)
If you spray into any corners or up against a fence etc you will get snow covered.
I have a Stihl 700 which works well for dry snow but thats it. The ground you are blowing snow off of also needs to be dry too. I would advice against using any kind of ice melt if you want to use your blower as the next snow fall will stick to it.

Lmao,,,then back away from the corner, come on,, your really not smart enough to not get covered in snow, flick it to the ground then lift it and blow the cloud. Repeat,,

gordfishing 10-13-2018 08:00 PM

I do snow commercial and own 18 stihl 600 blowers
No need to say more

2fast4uRuss 10-13-2018 08:27 PM

Stihl Br 600 here as well. Love it I have stamped concrete so blow it off my vehicles and two large decks, snowmobile trailer deck and back in the house before the neighbors I do not like have started scowling. lol. I did buy a different nozzle than it comes with that angles the airflow a bit might have been an issue with my height not the machine 6,3". You do get a bit of snow on you so worth having a change of coat hat and gloves.

YYC338 10-13-2018 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gordfishing (Post 3854960)
I do snow commercial and own 18 stihl 600 blowers
No need to say more

Yup, pretty much

Sitting Bull 10-13-2018 09:02 PM

I use them for commercial purposes and Stihl, Echo and Shindawa are great. Don't expect to pay $200 bucks for these.

Weedy1 10-14-2018 10:03 AM

These Toros do a great job for a hundred bucks. They will do light snow, good for cars, leaves no problem, great for cleaning off the driveway in summer. I think at one time they were rated as the best electric blower.

For Edmonton I still think a snowblower is the way to go. Too much wet heavy snow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRewmDK_U8s

https://www.amazon.ca/Toro-51619-Ult...7E5OLQ67NVPFZA

Weedy1 10-14-2018 10:06 AM

On a side note here's a great blower hack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=949dhnEp6kU

Lefty 10-14-2018 11:34 AM

Wouldn't be without a leafblower now. I have a handheld Stihl that does a fantastic job, but didn't move deeper snow well and had to use the snoblower. As I was helping out a few places including a corner lot, and had to be loading and moving the snowblower and had suffered a pelvis injury, I couldn't really move the snowblower in and out of my truck. I went to the Stihl dealer to see if they would let me test the difference between my handheld and a backpack blower. Wasn't sure if it was worth the price difference. They said no. Went to the Husky dealer and said no problem. Put gas in their biggest one (all the stats had it a little better than the biggest Stihl) and let me try it out. It definitely blew snow better than the handheld, and I bought it. It cut out the time I used the snowblower in half compared to having the handheld only. On light skiffs I still use the handheld as it works about as fast as the backpack and is a lot easier to clean off vehicles with. I am short and have problems getting the snow cleared off the 1 ton with the backpack. Haven't tried the snowblower to clear snow off the vehicles in case anyone was wondering.

amosfella 10-14-2018 11:49 AM

Grandpa had bought one when he was still alive. I've used it about 4 times in 15 years. Here, we get 2 types of snow, really wet, and wind packed so hard that you can half the time walk on the top of it cause it has a 2-3" crust on the top that's almost hard as ice.

Been wanting a good snow blower for a while now...

hermn8r 10-14-2018 11:59 AM

As stated above, good for light dustings but useless for heavy, wet, piles of snow. And get ready to be covered in snow by the time you're done. I personally stick to a snowblower.

thing 10-14-2018 06:42 PM

I’ve using hignpowered back pack blowers for well over 10 years. I have 1 at work and 1 at home. I use them daily.

They work awesome. I feel guilty using my blower in front of my neighbors so I clean the sidewalks of 5 houses in minutes. Start at one end and walk!

Those of you that say you get covered in snow are hilarious. “If you blow into a corner or fence you get covered in snow”....LOL well no sh!t Sherlock. If I’m sholveling and I throw the snow straight up above my head I’ll get covered in snow...I guess shoveling is a bad idea as well?