Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Vegreville Pond, Hasse Lake etc. (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=255764)

Nitroblue 05-28-2015 02:46 PM

Vegreville Pond, Hasse Lake etc.

it has been fours years since my son was born, this year finally I can find some time to go fishing. Has anyone been to the Vegreville Pond or Hasse Lake lately? I used to fish there and it always have some nice action. I can only do shore fishing so it is kind of limited.

trooper 05-28-2015 02:47 PM

why not try east pit lake? if you don't mind the walk, I've had lots of luck along the south east side.

Nitroblue 05-28-2015 02:53 PM

I have never been to East Pit Lake before. I don't mind walking as long as its not an hour up hill both ways. Do you fly fish, bait cast, Power bait there? thanks for the suggestion.

trooper 05-28-2015 03:00 PM

Flyfish from the shore at east pit is easy. the lake is just north of the Wabumun turn off drive a klick north and on the left (west) side of the road you'll see a fair sized parking lot and a chain link fence with a gate. follow the trail up the hill and the lake is visible from the top. any bait for fishing is good as far as I know.

trooper 05-28-2015 03:02 PM

Have you tried hermitage park pond? stocked with rainbows as well.

pikeslayer22 05-28-2015 03:16 PM

still decent at Veg Pond

Nitroblue 05-28-2015 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trooper (Post 2848332)
Have you tried hermitage park pond? stocked with rainbows as well.

I did this morning and the only fish I got was a six inch baby with a wet fly in two hours.

Nitroblue 05-28-2015 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 (Post 2848344)
still decent at Veg Pond

Good to know, thanks:)

Dak1138 05-28-2015 05:19 PM

I was Hermitage early this morning (5:30 ish, I don't think the park s officially open yet). I did well with a strike indicator and a red worm pattern. I had more "hits" on the Orange bio strike indicator than I did on my fly but still landed 4 in an hour, the largest was around 11 inches.

I think Hasse has been totally dead for a couple of years, not worth the trip.

I have never been to Vegreville, so no help there.

East Pit is fun. There are a few large fish in there and the bottom is pretty solid so I normally wear waders. I waded without waders once and pulled leaches off my inner thigh when I got back to the parking lot. Damsel fly nymphs work well there.

Cardiff may interest you as well although when I was there a few weeks ago a 6 inch fish would be an improvement over the two I caught there. They don't put very large fish in there .

I think I have a free pass for some fishing tonight , may try Chickakoo and/ or Muir.

Good luck!

waterninja 05-28-2015 05:54 PM

With a 4 yr old child (or any young children) I also suggest Hermitage, Veg, or Cardiff ponds. Easy access and quite close to your vehicle. Also at Cardiff you can catch crayish which is fun for kids, and herm has lots of geese and ducks for child to see. East Pit is nice, but one heck of a hill to handle, or long walk to avoid hill. Good luck, have fun.