Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Trapping Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   International Tannery Winnipeg review (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=429465)

pikergolf 02-22-2024 03:43 PM

International Tannery Winnipeg review

I am looking a making a purchase of a hide done there and I am very sensitive to chemical odors. Are they stinky?

jason crozier 02-22-2024 04:37 PM

I’ve had at least 20 furs done at international and have never smelled a thing on any of them.

pikergolf 02-23-2024 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason crozier (Post 4703637)
I’ve had at least 20 furs done at international and have never smelled a thing on any of them.

Thank you.:)

Marty S 02-24-2024 03:11 PM

Smells like pure strong leather

I would venture to say that their leather is EU approved. Bad chemicals could/will cause dkin irritation at least.

Heard a story a few years ago about a prestigious Italian buyer getting slapped with a $1M fine for bringing skins into Europe that were dressed with illegal to EU chemicals. But never know… could be BS or most likely a half truth.

Met one lady that wanted skins…. but desired brain tanned only cuz in her mind no chemicals…. No idea myself, dont brain tan! More peopleshould brain tan moose and elk and deer, big money in moose leather BT. Big demand, big shortage

Camdec 02-24-2024 10:05 PM

I believe this is where the ATA sends fur for tanning correct? I’ve sent several out over the years. Always had excellent results.

Camdec 02-24-2024 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty S (Post 4704153)
Smells like pure strong leather

I would venture to say that their leather is EU approved. Bad chemicals could/will cause dkin irritation at least.

Heard a story a few years ago about a prestigious Italian buyer getting slapped with a $1M fine for bringing skins into Europe that were dressed with illegal to EU chemicals. But never know… could be BS or most likely a half truth.

Met one lady that wanted skins…. but desired brain tanned only cuz in her mind no chemicals…. No idea myself, dont brain tan! More peopleshould brain tan moose and elk and deer, big money in moose leather BT. Big demand, big shortage

Brained tanned is ideal for traditional beading. I’ve done a few and it’s a lot of work. In my experience scraping the skin to uniform thickness is key before tanning. Moose especially.

outofbounds 02-25-2024 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camdec (Post 4704215)
Brained tanned is ideal for traditional beading. I’ve done a few and it’s a lot of work. In my experience scraping the skin to uniform thickness is key before tanning. Moose especially.

I will echo what has been said, for brain tanning there is no short cuts around thinning the hide, effort put in will be resulting product. Fleshing is not thinning the hide, that is where most fall short. Frost scrape methods give great results.
Especially important is removal of ALL grease and fat so the braining can do its job, any grease, fat or oil and it is all for not.

calgarychef 02-26-2024 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outofbounds (Post 4704488)
I will echo what has been said, for brain tanning there is no short cuts around thinning the hide, effort put in will be resulting product. Fleshing is not thinning the hide, that is where most fall short. Frost scrape methods give great results.
Especially important is removal of ALL grease and fat so the braining can do its job, any grease, fat or oil and it is all for not.

Frost scraping does work really well. I’m in Calgary so the conditions aren’t always favourable but when they are and I leave a hid out that freeze dries it takes the brains really well.