Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   First Hard Ice Adventure 2020 Cold Lake Edition (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=374919)

Weavster 01-07-2020 08:55 PM

First Hard Ice Adventure 2020 Cold Lake Edition

Well, my long wait was finally over and I made it out on the hard water chasing some lake trout on Cold Lake! We sledded across the main lake over to Garnett while navigating one big heave that seems to span most of the lake from english bay all the way across into Saskatchewan.

The bite started off very hot with many aggressive fish chasing hard check it out below for yourselves!

https://youtu.be/V0WMqavA-lg

Mackinaw 01-07-2020 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weavster (Post 4087667)
Well, my long wait was finally over and I made it out on the hard water chasing some lake trout on Cold Lake! We sledded across the main lake over to Garnett while navigating one big heave that seems to span most of the lake from english bay all the way across into Saskatchewan.

The bite started off very hot with many aggressive fish chasing hard check it out below for yourselves!

https://youtu.be/V0WMqavA-lg

great video Matt

mack

300magman 01-07-2020 10:39 PM

Fantastic video! Very well done, looks like a blast

ddddd05 01-08-2020 12:19 AM

Awesome video. I learned a lot!

Jawjacker 01-08-2020 12:24 AM

Excellent Weavster. Best one yet :)

58thecat 01-08-2020 06:17 AM

Very well done.!:sHa_shakeshout:

FishHunterPro 01-08-2020 07:12 AM

Deadly action, I’ve never had a day of laker fishing like that. Your ice rod looks deadly, I really like the large line guides you have I’ve never understood why companies don’t make more rods with them like that. Do you know of any rods that you can buy that long with big guides?.

35 whelen 01-08-2020 08:46 AM

Thanks Matt love the rod it worked worked great good video also.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...e8028cc665.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

58thecat 01-08-2020 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 35 whelen (Post 4087826)
Thanks Matt love the rod it worked worked great good video also.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...e8028cc665.jpg

Excalibur fish slayer edition....:)

CNP 01-08-2020 03:03 PM

Wow!

Weavster 01-08-2020 04:30 PM

Thanks Mackinaw, 300magman, ddddd05, Jawjacker, 58thecat, CNP, 35 whelen & FishHunterPro I appreciate all the feedback!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishHunterPro (Post 4087779)
Deadly action, I’ve never had a day of laker fishing like that. Your ice rod looks deadly, I really like the large line guides you have I’ve never understood why companies don’t make more rods with them like that. Do you know of any rods that you can buy that long with big guides?.

There is a link in the description of the video to what I was using to fish that day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 35 whelen (Post 4087826)
Thanks Matt love the rod it worked worked great good video also.

Cant wait to see some pictures of some Manitoba monsters on the other end of it!

35 whelen 01-08-2020 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weavster (Post 4088100)
Thanks Mackinaw, 300magman, ddddd05, Jawjacker, 58thecat, CNP, 35 whelen & FishHunterPro I appreciate all the feedback!!

There is a link in the description of the video to what I was using to fish that day.

Cant wait to see some pictures of some Manitoba monsters on the other end of it!

[emoji106]

FishHunterPro 01-08-2020 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weavster (Post 4088100)

Right on thanks I’ll look for it.

OL_JR 01-08-2020 07:50 PM

Cool video thanks for sharing. One thing I've picked up in your videos is you have a lot of confidence to keep reeling and not stop while they chase. I have a hard time when they start chasing not to hit the brakes momentarily and it's probably cost me some fish.

It would be cool to see you do a video that goes over some of the finer details of the rods you build. They look really good and I hope you don't take any offence to this but from what I can see on your website you are asking quite a bit for them.

RACKER 01-08-2020 09:45 PM

great video man.Its always cool to see how the fish react in real time on the flasher.Hope ya have a fantastic season out there this year and cant wait to see your next video.

58thecat 01-09-2020 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OL_JR (Post 4088197)
Cool video thanks for sharing. One thing I've picked up in your videos is you have a lot of confidence to keep reeling and not stop while they chase. I have a hard time when they start chasing not to hit the brakes momentarily and it's probably cost me some fish.

It would be cool to see you do a video that goes over some of the finer details of the rods you build. They look really good and I hope you don't take any offence to this but from what I can see on your website you are asking quite a bit for them.

Custom built is just that time, material and the product speaks for itself.

I have not gotten one from Matt but have ventured into other custom built items and you pay for that not across the counter quality.

35 whelen 01-09-2020 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58thecat (Post 4088317)
Custom built is just that time, material and the product speaks for itself.

I have not gotten one from Matt but have ventured into other custom built items and you pay for that not across the counter quality.

Exactly this is my third custom rod first from Matt but not my last

58thecat 01-09-2020 07:01 AM

Go to his site and see what all is put into this and you will see that it is top notch no more, no less.

https://weaversbentrods.com/

Well done!

FishHunterPro 01-09-2020 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58thecat (Post 4088326)
Go to his site and see what all is put into this and you will see that it is top notch no more, no less.

https://weaversbentrods.com/

Well done!

These rods look awesome, thanks for the link I had no idea weavster made his own rods.

Dom4 01-09-2020 08:03 AM

I really enjoyed the video thanks for sharing! Also that rod looks sweet!

SNAPFisher 01-09-2020 08:48 AM

Great post and vid! Nice to see that chase happen. That is one aggressive laker!

In a sea of B.S. recently on AO, this is a great example of what should be on here :)

Looking forwards to future posts.

Weavster 01-09-2020 12:00 PM

Thanks Racker, Dom4 & SNAPFisher and everyone else for the feedback, you are the reason i keep trying to put out new content. I enjoy making these videos to share some of my experience on Cold Lake and some of my fishing trips. If they help someone have a little more success on their next trip then it was well worth it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by OL_JR (Post 4088197)

No offence taken and I think a few other people covered it pretty well. These are not mass produced but built individually one at a time with top of the line components, fully customize-able to species and techniques, and there is a considerable amount of time into each rod.

Moosetalker 01-10-2020 01:09 AM

Excellent Video love the picture in picture Flasher readout.

OL_JR 01-10-2020 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weavster (Post 4088504)
Thanks Racker, Dom4 & SNAPFisher and everyone else for the feedback, you are the reason i keep trying to put out new content. I enjoy making these videos to share some of my experience on Cold Lake and some of my fishing trips. If they help someone have a little more success on their next trip then it was well worth it!

No offence taken and I think a few other people covered it pretty well. These are not mass produced but built individually one at a time with top of the line components, fully customize-able to species and techniques, and there is a considerable amount of time into each rod.

Right on and when I said "quite a bit" I hope it didn't read as "to much" as I can imagine it takes a lot of time to build a rod by hand. Just an idea to maybe to a bit of a spotlight on some the rod actions and your preferences for a lake trout rod is all. Totally up to you obviously.

Whereabouts around English Bay does the heave start? I marked some spots in front of the English Bay campground this summer that I wouldn't mind trying this winter but it always seems there is a heave or junk ice of some sort over there.

Weavster 01-11-2020 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OL_JR (Post 4089394)
Right on and when I said "quite a bit" I hope it didn't read as "to much" as I can imagine it takes a lot of time to build a rod by hand. Just an idea to maybe to a bit of a spotlight on some the rod actions and your preferences for a lake trout rod is all. Totally up to you obviously.

Whereabouts around English Bay does the heave start? I marked some spots in front of the English Bay campground this summer that I wouldn't mind trying this winter but it always seems there is a heave or junk ice of some sort over there.

I'm not sure where exactly it starts in English bay as I wasn't fishing there. I know it comes out of the bay and comes across extending a ways off the provincial park point and carrying on over to garnett. There was a trail we were crossing at garnett to get to the other side of it.

I can throw a little spotlight in the next one for those who are curious. There is a cool video on the website of one being made for a friend in Manitoba

huntinglover 01-11-2020 09:14 PM

Love your video, specially all syn with flasher detail, best video editor:)

Weavster 01-13-2020 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moosetalker (Post 4088946)
Excellent Video love the picture in picture Flasher readout.

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntinglover (Post 4090225)
Love your video, specially all syn with flasher detail, best video editor:)

Thanks Moosetalker & huntinglover takes a little time to get it all but makes it much more exciting when you can see what the fish is doing. I'll make sure to keep it up with the flasher cam!