Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electric Socks / Foot warming (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=28223)

Baulde 02-21-2009 11:30 PM

Electric Socks / Foot warming

How is everyone's experience with electric socks / chemical foot warmers / thick wool socks / heavy duty winter boots ?

I have only ever used lots of socks... but still end up with cold feet. Anyone experiment with the various methods of foot warming ?

I have seen electric socks anywhere from $20 to $150 socks with a heat control that attaches to your waist.

A friend got the $20 socks and said they did little to nothing. Next time I see him I will take a resistance and voltage reading and see how many watts they are running at.

Your experiences ?

Big Bull 02-21-2009 11:40 PM

Hey Clint,
I use Hotronics in my ski boots, and wouldn't ski without them now. The battery pack has 4 heat settings. I turn them on the lowest setting when I leave the house so they are warmed up when I put them on at the ski hill. Most of the time I use the #2 setting, and they will last for a full day of skiing. Not sure how good they are at -40, cuz I wouldn't be skiing then! I have thought about putting them in my hunting boots. They cost around $200, and I'm on my 4th season with them, but the batteries are getting weaker.
http://www.hotronic.com/products/fw/index_m4.html

Tundra Monkey 02-21-2009 11:41 PM

I would stay away from anything that adds heat.....sweat and moisture are not your friends.

A good pair of Sorels or a similar product and GOOD socks you should be good to go.

tm

Reeves1 02-22-2009 12:09 AM

What Tundra said and more...

When I have to drive to where I'll be out for the day, I put my Sorels in the back of the truck in a bag . I wear another pair of boots for the drive. Get to where I'm going and change socks in the cold (closes the pours). Put cold boots on and I'm good all day.

brianscott 02-22-2009 12:45 AM

Did an overnight snowshoe trip last week, I put some of the hand warmers in the toes of a pair of socks for in my sleeping bag overnight.

It was one of the most comfortable nights I have ever had in the bush I slept like a baby eventhough It was -10 and I was in my tent.

Only experience I have had with external warmers
I find the key to keeping my feet warm is to keep my hands and neck/head warm.
And keep moving, we all got a bit cold so we dug a snowcave to keep warm, we had to stop cuz we were all sweating.

Deano 02-22-2009 01:55 AM

After reading about Bama socks on the board I went and bought a pair. They have been great!

Deano

Tony_S 02-22-2009 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deano (Post 270846)
After reading about Bama socks on the board I went and bought a pair. They have been great!

Deano

X2!
Best 13 bucks Ive spent in a looong time!

Dr. Fish 02-22-2009 07:16 PM

Dunlop Purofort Boots!

hotsteper 02-23-2009 06:50 AM

Merino Wool Socks

Merino wool is the way to go. Doesn't smell and is very warm even when wet. I found some great socks from a Calgary online company two months ago. Check out this link to their sock page:

http://www.mymerino.com/acatalog/soc..._clothing.html

kodiakken 01-27-2011 04:24 PM

Cold Feet

I have cold feet just about all the time.
I have tried the chemical hand warmers and found they can get a little to hot for my liking.
The wool socks help quite a bit.
I have never tried the electric socks but man I have thought about it numorous times.
So far what I found that works the best for me is under the felt packs in my sorels put those felt liners pads that you can put in the botton of a work boot that has had about the greatestr improvement of anyone thing.
I have also had good luck with the Dr. Scholls arch support kind of pads put inside of the felt packs. Then the wool socks and that is great for most days.
I have worked out side for close to 40 years and have found the last ten years where getting in and out of the pickup 50 times a day is the worst thing for cold feet. If something breaks and I am outside moving around then I don't seem to notice it as fast as you keep the blood moving in your feet.
To go outside and stand in one place for an hour or two at 25 below or colder then I get the honting to order and try a pair of the electric socks.
I know everyone has their own tollerance and I hope you find what works best for you as there is nothing worse than cold feet.
If the electric socks work for you let me know I am still curious.

Ken.:)

unclebuck 01-27-2011 04:49 PM

Mitchum gel antiperspirant on the feet, a pair of Bama socks, and a good pair of boots have kept my feet warm & dry for many years.

HunterDave 01-27-2011 04:55 PM

I haven't tried the electric socks but I used the chemical foot warmers last Fall and they were great. During that cold snap my feet were freezing when sitting on watch so I tried them for the first time. There's no problem with sweating feet while sitting in -25 degree weather......lol! I now use them while riding my sled in cold weather. I still wear nylon socks under wool socks under gortex socks and good mukluks but for sitting, foot warmers are the way to go.

Geezle 01-27-2011 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey (Post 270822)
I would stay away from anything that adds heat.....sweat and moisture are not your friends.

A good pair of Sorels or a similar product and GOOD socks you should be good to go.

tm

WIN! With the emphasis on GOOD socks :)

savage7mm 01-27-2011 08:30 PM

marks work warehouse makes electric heated boots.

Tundra Monkey 01-27-2011 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savage7mm (Post 815692)

How well do they work when your plans change? ie...your sled breaks down in the middle of nowhere. You are better off being prepared rather than relying on something that will eventually die out on you. IMO you would be better off in a better quality boot that will keep you warm without needing artificial heat.

tm

ps. It's a hanging offence for our polar bear hunters if our guides catch them putting putting those warmers in their boots.

New Hunter Okotoks 01-27-2011 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey (Post 815701)
How well do they work when your plans change? ie...your sled breaks down in the middle of nowhere. You are better off being prepared rather than relying on something that will eventually die out on you. IMO you would be better off in a better quality boot that will keep you warm without needing artificial heat.

tm

ps. It's a hanging offence for our polar bear hunters if our guides catch them putting putting those warmers in their boots.

X2. I think the artificial heat might keep the feet too warm and they could perspire which is the last thing you want. Some good socks that I have used are Wigwam heavy socks and Icebreaker socks. These are anywhere from $20-$35/pair but well worth it and will last a very long time. These socks coupled with some good felt pacs are what work best for me.

827rotax 01-27-2011 10:34 PM

smart wool socks, snow claw 2000 gram thinslate Irish Setter boots. They have the EVA soles that do not conduct cold from the snow and ice. My feet have never been cold since.

Nomad 01-27-2011 10:47 PM

I've heard of guys putting cayenne pepper inside their socks. They swear by it.

Kim473 01-28-2011 05:34 AM

Got a pair of winter type snow work boots, rating of -100. Best thing I ever bought from walmart. One pair of reg socks on most days and no cold at all. Even just standing on the ice and not moveing for four hrs. Pay the $ and just get the best boots you can. Snow suit the same, one pc extreme winter work type. I can go all day in - 20 and not be cold at all. You get what you pay. Good cotton first layer garmits a must.

Tundra Monkey 01-28-2011 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kim473 (Post 815975)
Good cotton first layer garmits a must.

Hey there Kim....you should give merino wool a try. You'll never use cotton again :)

tm

FishingMOM 01-28-2011 06:11 AM

Good socks.
You dont need expensive stuff.

I carry the hand warmers, I have even handed some out to guys who have cold toes. The newer ones don't get as hot as the old style.
Only reason I have them is someone likes to stick his bare hands in the water. :thinking-006:

Redfrog 01-28-2011 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savage7mm (Post 815692)

I'll bet the extension cord is a real pita:mad0100:

I use the chem warmers sometimes with good luck. Otherwise hood boots and sox

Geezle 01-28-2011 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks (Post 815737)
X2. I think the artificial heat might keep the feet too warm and they could perspire which is the last thing you want. Some good socks that I have used are Wigwam heavy socks and Icebreaker socks. These are anywhere from $20-$35/pair but well worth it and will last a very long time. These socks coupled with some good felt pacs are what work best for me.

I'm pretty sure I got my Wigwam Ice Socks at Mark's for under $20 a pair :)