Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Night fishing Perch (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=49882)

sv650racer 01-13-2010 01:25 PM

Night fishing Perch

Is it worth it, to try and fish for perch at night?

walker197 01-13-2010 01:39 PM

i was out at Jackfish a couple of sundays ago, and we were bouncing a marmish jig off of their noses, no bites...

nicemustang 01-13-2010 01:44 PM

perch can't see that well in low light conditions. But you'd think a glow jig and maggots, never really tried it. But that's why walleye hunt in low light and at night....they stalk perch and bait fish cause they can't see as well. Give it a try.

italk2u 01-13-2010 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicemustang (Post 480612)
perch can't see that well in low light conditions. But you'd think a glow jig and maggots, never really tried it. But that's why walleye hunt in low light and at night....they stalk perch and bait fish cause they can't see as well. Give it a try.

Gotta agree..everytime the shadows descend on the lake, the perch bite seems to die.

Sir Landsalot 01-13-2010 05:58 PM

As others have mentioned it is better to keep your Perch fishing to the daytime and save the night fishing for other species. Perch are very susceptable to predation during low light levels and seem to know it. Not saying they cant be caught after dark but you will definately notice the action tail off after the sun sets.

calgarygringo 01-13-2010 09:26 PM

Perch at night

We have done a lot of night fishing and tried for perch as well. We find they almost never bite after dark. If there are no pike or burbs or walleyes we usually pack things up as soon as it almost is dark. It is one of the few types of fish I can honestlt say I have never caught after dark.

fishunter77 01-13-2010 10:29 PM

Perch at dark

I have never had any luck with perch after sunset. I have tried for them at different lakes, winter and summer.

On some lakes, I have caught Rainbow trout when it gets dark. No fancy hook, just a small jig tipped with a worm or maggot. Walleye seem to pick up as well just when it is starting to get dark.

nicemustang 01-14-2010 09:36 AM

Speaking of walleye, there are times in the summer as a teenager we'd sit out in a boat from 8 pm to 8 am. Fishing would be good when you get there, unreal when it's getting dark, then slow up until the moon came out. Then it was the best fishing ever for hours and hours. Walleye see so well at night and anything with a rattle or vibration would do the trick. The best part is....that's when the big ones would bite. At dusk or dawn you'd have lots of smaller fish but at night it was tough to catch anything under 4-5 lbs. Really makes me miss saskatchewan....

deerpig 01-14-2010 05:48 PM

I have noticed that in Alberta, night fishing walleye can be amazing or so slow its frustrating. I have had the most luck with walleye in the winter hour before light, then mid day to evening... and around that 1 am mark.

Summer... after dark, clear nights with the moon out.... biggest in the moonlight though Id say is looking at the 5.5lb mark... and on a tip up none the less.

Might have to try a night bite again soon here.... just dont know where to go!
oh and never caught a perch in the dark, ever...

and the odd pike...