Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Wireless Dog Fence/Shock Collar - Acreage ?? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=333401)

reddeerguy2015 11-14-2017 12:53 PM

Wireless Dog Fence/Shock Collar - Acreage ??

For about a 10 acre parcel.

Does such a thing exist ??

Or better yet a collar that when goes out of range of a transmitter gives a shock or whatever??

densa44 11-14-2017 01:44 PM

Build a page wire fence off of the back door.

If you think just because you live in the country you can just open the door and let the dog go you are wrong.

You either have to take him for walks, it will do you a world of good and the dog will love it. Or build a page wire fence that you can let him exercise in.

MoFugger21 11-14-2017 01:53 PM

https://calgary.invisiblefence.com/y...al-dealer/home

Iron Brew 11-14-2017 03:40 PM

From what I've been able to gather, geofences as such (gps fences) aren't there yet. Invisible fence style works, with proper training. The transmitter type that you talk about are (from my understanding) very limited range.

In other words, invisible fence AND proper training are probably the best bet.

Roderek 11-14-2017 04:16 PM

My sister lives in the US and has an underground fence with the shock collar, I am not sure what brand, but it works well for her two Scottish terriers, she is on a 1 acre lot.

one of the dogs crossed the line once, and never again.

A.H. 11-14-2017 05:16 PM

Pet fence

I self installed the "Pet Stop" brand fence on my acreage 9+ years ago. The dealer is out of Calgary (Tim). It has kept my Lab home since it was installed and the minimal training done. He has only gotten out when the batteries go dead, and I don't bother changing them out. (Usually dead for about 6 months before he tests the system.) The only issue I have had is I have blown out 2 transmitters and transformers due to lightning strikes(just unplug it now in lightning storms). These are warranted against lightning strikes and they get replaced, with a shipping charge of course. The system isn't cheap, will be over a grand for the material, plus your time and a trencher rental(rent what's called a bed bug`. PM me if you want my phone number to ask any questions.

A.H.

SamSteele 11-14-2017 05:38 PM

Just remember that an invisible fence only works to keep your dog in the yard (most of the time). It does nothing to keep roaming dogs or coyotes out of your yard.

For 10 acres I would be installing an actual fence instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^v^Tinda wolf^v^ 11-14-2017 07:21 PM

Persistence and training are key. Not to offend anyone but I snicker at folks who hire people to train their dogs. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

-JR- 11-14-2017 07:35 PM

They work really well.
As they get close to the edge it will give them a peep.
If they move in more it will give them a slight zap.
If they move even closer they get a bigger zap.

Desert Eagle 11-14-2017 08:17 PM

We got a petsafe model. It works very well. It comes with some tiny little wire, but I upsized the wire and hung it on the page wire fence to ensure I didn't have any issues. As said already our dog will not leave our place, however it didn't stop the neighbours dogs from coming in. If you share a fence line with anyone that also has the same sort of system it will cancel out each other if they are too close together.

We have 4 acres and it works great, but may need a bigger system for 10 acres.

Also I wish more people in the area cared about their pets. Lots of dogs roaming the countryside.

covey ridge 11-15-2017 08:39 AM

One of my neighbors has one of these installed. When I take my exercise his two dogs, one of them a serious looking Dobe take a run at me but hit the brakes where the driveway opens onto the road.

HighlandHeart 11-15-2017 09:25 AM

I had one of those invisible fences for my two young labs on a two acre yard about ten years ago. The black Lab would just suffer the neck shocks and run through it once in a while when she wanted to go down to the river for a swim. She wasn't as excited to get back into the yard as she was to get into the river so we would have to take the collar off before she would come back into the yard. It was always fun finding out the battery was dead by seeing your dog in a neighbor's yard or by the highway. Now we have two acres of page wire and it works like a charm, I would never go back to invisible fence.

Sashi 11-15-2017 09:49 AM

I had a very smart Cocker Spaniel, I walked her around the perimeter of our property. As she stepped off our property I said No, as she crossed back onto, our property I praised her. We did this all around the perimeter. After that we could let her out knowing she would stay in our yard. No need for a fence, and no need to hurt the dog with a shock collar.

3blade 11-15-2017 11:46 AM

Dogs with a high prey drive will blow straight through it. Once they are in that mode, they expect pain. My former neighbors tried the in-ground fence with their rottie, if he was just outside relaxing it would keep him in the yard but if he was wound up it didn't work, and they were lucky no one got bit. They put up a real fence.

cujo1969 11-15-2017 01:40 PM

We have invisible fence that uses the gps to control area the dogs can go which is the whole 1/4section. Not cheap but I'm sure its saved the dog from getting run over on the road. https://calgary.invisiblefence.com/y...al-dealer/home

4K3OGH 11-15-2017 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reddeerguy2015 (Post 3667334)
For about a 10 acre parcel.

Does such a thing exist ??

Or better yet a collar that when goes out of range of a transmitter gives a shock or whatever??

Ive heard of a wireless one. Cant imagine theyre cheap though... any luck?

reddeerguy2015 11-15-2017 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4K3OGH (Post 3668208)
Ive heard of a wireless one. Cant imagine theyre cheap though... any luck?

Not really. I don't want to spend a pile of cash on this project, or time for that matter (trenching underground wires...)

What I'm looking for probably doesn't exist.

ward 11-15-2017 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by densa44 (Post 3667372)
If you think just because you live in the country you can just open the door and let the dog go you are wrong.

You either have to take him for walks, it will do you a world of good and the dog will love it. Or build a page wire fence that you can let him exercise in.

He asked about an electric fence, not a lecture on walking his dog.

A.H. 11-16-2017 05:49 AM

Dog fence

Red deer guy, as is life, you get what you pay for. A weekends effort in trenching, and a little bit of cash for the piece of mind knowing my Lab has the full run of my 3.5 acres without him leaving, vs letting him roam to bug my neighbours, or keeping him locked up in a kennel. Wasn't a hard choice for me. Also, installing this system is much easier and cheaper then installing a fence. An no upkeep like a real fence.

A.H.

reddeerguy2015 11-16-2017 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A.H. (Post 3668649)
Red deer guy, as is life, you get what you pay for. A weekends effort in trenching, and a little bit of cash for the piece of mind knowing my Lab has the full run of my 3.5 acres without him leaving, vs letting him roam to bug my neighbours, or keeping him locked up in a kennel. Wasn't a hard choice for me. Also, installing this system is much easier and cheaper then installing a fence. An no upkeep like a real fence.

A.H.

No offense but 900m of trenching is a little more than a weekends effort....

I understand that is almost certainly the best option. It just doesnt work for me. Was just hoping for a GPS and collar type of thing but If it doesn't exist it doesn't exist.

Was just curious what all you folks were running.

Thanks!!