Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Show me your sheep rig (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=357735)

outdoorsman12b 01-14-2019 12:00 PM

Show me your sheep rig

Well it is a new year and my head is already living in August 25. Making some changes to my sheep rig and thought I would ask everyone else to show and shine their rigs. For fun add what you like/don't like about it and if you want how many rams it owns.

My new rig is a Tikka T3X SS in 6.5 CM with a nightforce SHV 3-10. Nightforce pic rail and ultralite rings. Will post pics soon. I like the tikka in general as a lightweight rig. The scope is quite top heavy though for balance in the hands. I wanted 100% reliability which is why I went the SHV route. Owns 0 rams at the moment. Hoping to change that this year.

Manning74 01-14-2019 01:50 PM

Had a tikka t3, .270win. Leuplod Vx 2 3x9x40, One sheep with it , thought it was light until i picked up a Kimber montana in 7mm08 wears the same scope that the tikka had. One sheep for this riffle aswell .

bitterrootfly 01-14-2019 02:04 PM

Sako a7 roughtech pro in .300win mag (use it for high country elk as well) with a vortex viper 4-16 VMR on top, a custom bed job and bell and Carlson stock and a fluted bolt and barrel. Not too heavy, still less than 8 scoped and rock solid at all hunting ranges.

Redneck 7 01-14-2019 02:39 PM

Mines a Remington 700 CDL with a VX-2 3-9x40 dialled our to 300 very accurately with just the duplex reticle. My change is taking off the Leupold 1 piece base and std rings all in silver for a set of Talley lightweights I bought used. Weight isn’t a problem but I like to mess around and tinker, plus I’ve ever used the talleys before.

I was to busy working to go for a goat this year so I’m hoping to get a Ewe next year and maybe even a Goat as well.

outdoorsman12b 01-14-2019 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redneck 7 (Post 3911422)
Mines a Remington 700 CDL with a VX-2 3-9x40 dialled our to 300 very accurately with just the duplex reticle. My change is taking off the Leupold 1 piece base and std rings all in silver for a set of Talley lightweights I bought used. Weight isn’t a problem but I like to mess around and tinker, plus I’ve ever used the talleys before.

I was to busy working to go for a goat this year so I’m hoping to get a Ewe next year and maybe even a Goat as well.

Your a brave man taking a walnut stock in the sheep hills. Would love to take my x bolt but just to scared. What caliber did you go with Redneck? Just my two cents but I would not go Talley's. I have had nothing but problems with them. Have seen them crack with magnums as well on lighter riflles.

Redneck 7 01-14-2019 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outdoorsman12b (Post 3911440)
Your a brave man taking a walnut stock in the sheep hills. Would love to take my x bolt but just to scared. What caliber did you go with Redneck? Just my two cents but I would not go Talley's. I have had nothing but problems with them. Have seen them crack with magnums as well on lighter riflles.

It’s a stainless fluted cdl chambered in 7mm-08. Its a very beautiful gun but I don’t mind taking it into the mountains. One hunt I went up with my friend for his mountain goat. I didn’t think I’d take a rifle up the mountain since he’d have his so I just brought my bear rifle, thumper I call it and left the CDL at home. We decided the night before I should have a rifle as well so thumper went up. Got a few scratched but I didn’t mind.

Thumper is a 9 lb rifle with 4 rounds in the magazine, .308 Remington 700 VTR I fitted into an old walnut stock from another 700. She’s a beautiful rifle and shoots great groups with the 2-7 Leupold rifleman I have on it.

That’s the first I heard of someone say that about talleys. I don’t care to make the CDL a light weight rifle, I do like the silver rings and bases a lot so... maybe I won’t change it, save the rings for another 700.

Kurt505 01-14-2019 07:14 PM

I’ve had a bunch of rifles that are deer/moose/elk rifles but all could make great sheep guns.

This thread seriously needs pics!!!

Redneck 7 01-14-2019 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt505 (Post 3911619)
I’ve had a bunch of rifles that are deer/moose/elk rifles but all could make great sheep guns.

This thread seriously needs pics!!!

Haha yes it does, I’m not able to do pictures. I’ll pull out the lab too after and get what pictures I have of the rifles. Your new rifle you built is gorgeous! I seen it in the other thread.

Kurt505 01-14-2019 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redneck 7 (Post 3911629)
Haha yes it does, I’m not able to do pictures. I’ll pull out the lab too after and get what pictures I have of the rifles. Your new rifle you built is gorgeous! I seen it in the other thread.

Thanks!

I’ve had Finnlights, Tikka super lites, Kimbers, Forbes, Nula’s, Christensen’s, and now the Gunwerks, they’d all be great sheep guns.

Unfortunately their owner wouldn’t take them to go play in the mountains...

6.5 shooter 01-14-2019 07:35 PM

Not a sheep hunter but if I were to choose one of my rifles it would be the Tikka T3 in 6.5x55 topped off with it's Leupold fixed 6 scope I would guess 7.5lbs. or so..great rig and after the stock was hydro dipped it even looks kinda cool.

Redneck 7 01-14-2019 07:37 PM

Pictures coming soon.

Redneck 7 01-14-2019 08:02 PM

Scratch that... I wanted to put my fist through the lab top.

Pathfinder76 01-14-2019 08:47 PM

My favourite sheep rifle. I continue to mourn its loss. :-)

https://i.imgur.com/BmuD8Vm.jpg

Kristopher10 01-14-2019 09:14 PM

Here is mine.

Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5CM topped with a VX3i 4.5-14x40 CDS. If memory serves right it’s about 6lbs 10oz with the bipod pictured.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...8f1dacbc55.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zuludog 01-15-2019 12:00 AM

How do you like the Fieldcraft? Have owned a Kimber Montana and if so how does it compare it to a Kimber?

Kristopher10 01-15-2019 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuludog (Post 3911847)
How do you like the Fieldcraft? Have owned a Kimber Montana and if so how does it compare it to a Kimber?

I love the Fieldcraft. It’s light, it’s comfortable and fits like no other rifle I’ve ever held. Very accurate with factory ammo. Can’t compare it to a Kimber though as I don’t own one and have never shot one.

Neut 01-15-2019 12:05 AM

Just started this sheep hunting addiction, but I carried a benchmark barreled Kimber ma 6.5x47Lapua this last season. 6lbs 9oz scoped and loaded. Next season it'll be a toss up between that and the Rem 700ti 300saum depending on some load development.

Redneck 7 01-15-2019 05:46 AM

This is my CDL in 7mm-08, my fiancé uses it for big game, this is her 2018 buck.

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/...psgxmiybt4.jpg

This is thumper, the VTR I tinkered with, I have cut off the muzzle break as well.

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/...psjzvqu85x.jpg

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3smu6r9p.jpg

And this rifle is my future everything/ mountain rifle. I was gonna put it in a wildcat composites stock but maybe one day. It’s a 700 SS in .300 SAUM that I bedded into a BDL stock, and free floated the barrel. Shoots factory ammo great, can’t wait to start reloading.

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7rmaeiy8.jpg

Redneck 7 01-15-2019 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kristopher10 (Post 3911780)
Here is mine.

Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5CM topped with a VX3i 4.5-14x40 CDS. If memory serves right it’s about 6lbs 10oz with the bipod pictured.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...8f1dacbc55.jpg

How do you like the scope? I was looking at a VX-5 with cds and illuminated reticle for my SAUM. I have a VX-3i LRP on my long range and like it a lot, just curious how you like it VX-3i CDS? Very nice rifle by the way, I’m surprised by how light it is.

outdoorsman12b 01-15-2019 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redneck 7 (Post 3911614)
It’s a stainless fluted cdl chambered in 7mm-08. Its a very beautiful gun but I don’t mind taking it into the mountains. One hunt I went up with my friend for his mountain goat. I didn’t think I’d take a rifle up the mountain since he’d have his so I just brought my bear rifle, thumper I call it and left the CDL at home. We decided the night before I should have a rifle as well so thumper went up. Got a few scratched but I didn’t mind.

Thumper is a 9 lb rifle with 4 rounds in the magazine, .308 Remington 700 VTR I fitted into an old walnut stock from another 700. She’s a beautiful rifle and shoots great groups with the 2-7 Leupold rifleman I have on it.

That’s the first I heard of someone say that about talleys. I don’t care to make the CDL a light weight rifle, I do like the silver rings and bases a lot so... maybe I won’t change it, save the rings for another 700.

Your likely fine in 7-08 with talley's but I still shy away. If you wanted to move away from the 1 piece I believe Burris makes silver Zee rings and XTR bases which is a solid steel on steel setup and will match your rifles looks.

Kristopher10 01-15-2019 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redneck 7 (Post 3911877)
How do you like the scope? I was looking at a VX-5 with cds and illuminated reticle for my SAUM. I have a VX-3i LRP on my long range and like it a lot, just curious how you like it VX-3i CDS? Very nice rifle by the way, I’m surprised by how light it is.

I like the scope. To be honest I haven’t really played around with the cds a whole lot but it does seem to work pretty well. Once I get some more time I’ll start hand loading for this rifle and then start playing with the CDS at distance.

The rifle is actually heavier than advertised, it’s about 5 or 6 oz heavier than I expected it to be, but it’s still a dream to carry in the mountains.

outdoorsman12b 01-15-2019 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redneck 7 (Post 3911877)

I have had a few CDS Leupold scopes including the vx3i and it has been hit or miss with tracking. The erector issues in Leupold are well documented and you can find quite a bit with some googling. If you want to stay light with a Leupold I would take a look at the Boone and Crockett reticle or have their custom shop make a reticle for your load. If you really want to dial with confidence there are only a few options proven. You will have to up the weight.

Nightforce
SWFA
Busnnell LRHS

Budget option Nikon black FX 1000

elkhunter11 01-15-2019 08:09 AM

I have actually never carried a lightweight rifle while sheep hunting. On every sheep hunt, I carried a 7mmstw that weighed about 9lbs scoped. I typically carry my rifle on a bracket on my pack, so an extra two or three pounds of rifle is no different than an extra two or three pounds in my pack. That being said, when carrying a shotgun over my shoulder hunting upland birds, I much prefer a shotgun weighing around 6lbs or less.

outdoorsman12b 01-15-2019 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 3911924)
I have actually never carried a lightweight rifle while sheep hunting. On every sheep hunt, I carried a 7mmstw that weighed about 9lbs scoped. I typically carry my rifle on a bracket on my pack, so an extra two or three pounds of rifle is no different than an extra two or three pounds in my pack. That being said, when carrying a shotgun over my shoulder hunting upland birds, I much prefer a shotgun weighing around 6lbs or less.

Can you post a pick of this bracket? Right now on my way up the hill in the AM I have my rifle strapped hillside, then swap sides on way down mountain to keep it hillside. I find that it does not burn the down slope side knee as badly when your doing a lot of steep climbing.

outdoorsman12b 01-15-2019 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck (Post 3911757)
My favourite sheep rifle. I continue to mourn its loss. :-)

https://i.imgur.com/BmuD8Vm.jpg

Did you have to get rid of it? Looks like a Montana?

Kurt505 01-15-2019 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outdoorsman12b (Post 3911940)
Did you have to get rid of it? Looks like a Montana?

That’s not a Montana, looks like a m70 in a McMillan edge.

Nice rifle, I’d like to hear the story on why you parted ways too.

elkhunter11 01-15-2019 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outdoorsman12b (Post 3911938)
Can you post a pick of this bracket? Right now on my way up the hill in the AM I have my rifle strapped hillside, then swap sides on way down mountain to keep it hillside. I find that it does not burn the down slope side knee as badly when your doing a lot of steep climbing.

My pack is put away, and not handy right now. It's pretty much a padded hook that I hang the sling on, and a lower bracket with velcro that secures the stock. It's actually fairly quick to remove the rifle, compared to some of the packs with built in scabbards.

Pathfinder76 01-15-2019 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt505 (Post 3911950)
That’s not a Montana, looks like a m70 in a McMillan edge.

Nice rifle, I’d like to hear the story on why you parted ways too.

That’s what it is, and I don’t have a reasonable explanation. :-)

Kurt505 01-15-2019 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck (Post 3911963)
That’s what it is, and I don’t have a reasonable explanation. :-)

OCD...... I get it.

outdoorsman12b 01-15-2019 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 3911957)
My pack is put away, and not handy right now. It's pretty much a padded hook that I hang the sling on, and a lower bracket with velcro that secures the stock. It's actually fairly quick to remove the rifle, compared to some of the packs with built in scabbards.

What pack are you using? I have a MR marshall. Trying to think of how that might work. Guessing your using an external frame.