Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Fort McMurray Fires (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=287648)

Flight01 05-01-2016 06:05 PM

Fort McMurray Fires

1 Attachment(s)
Couple fires going here now. Can see two from my house. One right in town between industrial park on 63 and stone ridge. Scary for some houses and people. Another near Thickwood golf course. Heard another near airport turn off. I pray we get them under control soon. She's a dry one .

Flight01 05-01-2016 06:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A better pic

justsomeguy 05-01-2016 07:18 PM

Scarey, I'm supposed to fly up Tuesday morning. I think I use to be a neighbour of yours judging by your pics.

catnthehat 05-01-2016 07:23 PM

We have a big one about 85km north of town and one south of town that may crown and jump the highway!!
They are talking about closing the road on mymcmurray.com
Oh, and another behind Absssnd that is not considered dead ,
Cat

catnthehat 05-01-2016 07:34 PM

Residents in Gregoire are being told to prepare for an evacuation !
Cat

Rio56 05-01-2016 07:42 PM

we are dry everywhere and scary actually .. we need rain

Roughneck12 05-01-2016 07:45 PM

https://www.facebook.com/AlbertaWild...fo/?fref=photo

petew 05-01-2016 07:51 PM

http://emergencyalert.alberta.ca/ale...6/05/3698.html

Flight01 05-01-2016 07:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Abasand / Thickwood golf course fire seems to be getting a beating from the air crews. Not as intense looking from here now. Appears to be a decent size but not that fast rising , high energy smoke anymore. Keep at her boys and girls

Mistagin 05-01-2016 08:04 PM

Yesterday's fire in Abasand was close to my place! From a lookout just a few hundred meters from my front doorI could see flames in the trees.
Today's fire is southwest of us further out, but much, much larger. From another lookout point near my place (overlooking the Horse River) I watched the fire moving rapidly east and at one point could see lots of flame up the valley.
I'm thinking a big chunk of 'my' hunting and firewood gathering 'grounds' have gone up in fire and smoke :scared0015:

Rio56 05-01-2016 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flight01 (Post 3218439)
The Abasand / Thickwood golf course fire seems to be getting a beating from the air crews. Not as intense looking from here now. Appears to be a decent size but not that fast rising , high energy smoke anymore. Keep at her boys and girls

this pic is reality and truthfully ... scary

Flight01 05-01-2016 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistagin (Post 3218450)
Yesterday's fire in Abasand was close to my place! From a lookout just a few hundred meters from my front doorI could see flames in the trees.
Today's fire is southwest of us further out, but much, much larger. From another lookout point near my place (overlooking the Horse River) I watched the fire moving rapidly east and at one point could see lots of flame up the valley.
I'm thinking a big chunk of 'my' hunting and firewood gathering 'grounds' have gone up in fire and smoke :scared0015:

Does it look like they are getting it knocked down? Seems like it from here. I'm up in Timberlea. You are close to the action. Way too close. Keep at the ready

bushnell 05-01-2016 09:30 PM

My son is up there and was told by RCMP to be ready to evacuate

catnthehat 05-01-2016 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flight01 (Post 3218467)
Does it look like they are getting it knocked down? Seems like it from here. I'm up in Timberlea. You are close to the action. Way too close. Keep at the ready

Yup, my son was on the golf course today and said the bombers quit the Abasand fire then went and concentrated on others.
Lots of aircraft in the air today between choppers ad planes!:thinking-006:
Cat

elkhunter11 05-01-2016 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 3218392)
We have a big one about 85km north of town and one south of town that may crown and jump the highway!!
They are talking about closing the road on mymcmurray.com
Oh, and another behind Absssnd that is not considered dead ,
Cat

Is the North fire anywhere near CNRL, the stepson flies up Tuesday.

Mistagin 05-01-2016 09:49 PM

Looks like it's knocked down quite a bit.
About 8:30 the air-tankers dropped their last loads of the day and left for 'home'. I walked over to the lookout point and where there was nothing but thick smoke this afternoon to the southwest it was relatively clear. Still lots of smoke visible to the south closer to the highway, but not billowing up like it was a couple of hours ago.
Now, at 9:45, I can see smoke from my house's front window but no orange underbelly which would indicate a lot of flame below. Hopefully as the wind has died down the crews on the ground can gain the upper hand and put the rest of the fire out.

Pray for RAIN!

catnthehat 05-01-2016 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 3218611)

They said 85KM, so that would put it at around there.
Cat

Boogerfart 05-01-2016 10:16 PM

I'm staying in the Athabaska lodge by the bridge to nowhere, it's clear and quiet here so I'd say it can't be too bad by CNRL. Nothing I can see from here anyway.

catnthehat 05-01-2016 10:35 PM

Looks like Prairie Creek and Centennial Camp Ground have been evacuated according to mymcmurray.com
I think mabe the left out a decmal when they said 85KM, because 8.8KM from town is about Taiganova , which has a manageable fire
Cat

justsomeguy 05-01-2016 10:38 PM

Stay safe folks, you'll be in our thoughts tonight and we'll check in on you in the morning.

Flight01 05-01-2016 10:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The taiga Nova fire was hit hard today. Hopefully down and out. She was jammed in between the Suncor admin building and stone creek subdivision. Not a lot of space between houses and the admin and was all on fire. Canopy , not ground.

slivers86 05-02-2016 04:10 AM

My guess is the NDP caused the drought alberta is currently facing and likely caused the forest fires too :snapoutofit:

All jokes aside, hope all the folks on this forum who live in the region are safe, and their properties are secure and defended. Thoughts are with ya'll.

58thecat 05-02-2016 05:33 AM

This goes for our whole province, be smart and do all you can do to prevent a spark up.
Hopefully Mother Nature helps out but our forecast here does not indicate rain at all.
Everyone get naked and go on your back decks, dance like a possessed animal, maybe the rain Gods will rain tears of laughter.:sHa_shakeshout:

JustMe 05-02-2016 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slivers86 (Post 3218746)
My guess is the NDP caused the drought alberta is currently facing and likely caused the forest fires too :snapoutofit:

All jokes aside, hope all the folks on this forum who live in the region are safe, and their properties are secure and defended. Thoughts are with ya'll.

Yup, might want to remind the next guy you see flicking a butt out the window how expensive it could be!
Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 3218611)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58thecat (Post 3218748)
This goes for our whole province, be smart and do all you can do to prevent a spark up.
Hopefully Mother Nature helps out but our forecast here does not indicate rain at all.
Everyone get naked and go on your back decks, dance like a possessed animal, maybe the rain Gods will rain tears of laughter.:sHa_shakeshout:

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

elkhunter11 05-02-2016 07:54 AM

When I used to live in Fort McMurray, I dreaded dry seasons because of the forest fires. Twice the only highway at the time was closed for days, and I have been trapped at work, while water bombers put out fires so that we could get home after work. A person really doesn't appreciate the danger that forest fires prevent, unless you have been up close and personal with them. Hopefully the fires will be put out before any homes are lost, and people will not be driven from their homes for too long.

catnthehat 05-02-2016 08:01 AM

I remember being stuck on the highway for four hours just out of of town with the fire crowning and jumping the road .
Then there was the time When we were building Albion the flames could be seen from the tank farm .
About 35 years ago I had a friend who was on her trapline across from Bitunont.
Smoke filled up the river valley and she wasn't sure if she was going to have to load her youngster and dogs into the busy and try to get back to town or at least get over to Ernie's place at Butumont.
Cat

waterninja 05-02-2016 10:14 AM

Was just watching the news reports about the fires near Ft. Mac. Best wishes to all you guys out there. Hope fire crews get a good handle on things. Looks like a lot of air bombers being deployed. First the big work slowdown and now this. Good luck guys.

wildwoods 05-02-2016 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterninja (Post 3219012)
Was just watching the news reports about the fires near Ft. Mac. Best wishes to all you guys out there. Hope fire crews get a good handle on things. Looks like a lot of air bombers being deployed. First the big work slowdown and now this. Good luck guys.

X2 thoughts and prayers sent up north

Mistagin 05-02-2016 01:10 PM

Smoke is clearing out :). Yay, I can go outside again.
Water bombers are still flying.
Winds are lighter and look like they may have turned to blow the fire back on itself.

Flight01 05-02-2016 07:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistagin (Post 3219114)
Smoke is clearing out :). Yay, I can go outside again.
Water bombers are still flying.
Winds are lighter and look like they may have turned to blow the fire back on itself.

Still looking bad. What you seeing up your way?