Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Lake Winnipeg greenbacks (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=337652)

35 whelen 01-20-2018 12:45 PM

Lake Winnipeg greenbacks

Can't wait for our trip March 15th and 19th to the big lake pigs have been coming out all yearhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...57b9498079.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

35 whelen 01-20-2018 12:45 PM

Any other albertans heading that way in March

super mario 01-20-2018 06:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I going in two weeks

35 whelen 01-20-2018 06:41 PM

Nice take lots of pictures

Alberta Bigbore 01-20-2018 07:22 PM

Dont forget to fish the red river for greenbacks.

Centralalbertasongdogslay 01-20-2018 08:38 PM

How much does that fish weigh that's what I wanna know

Wes_G 01-20-2018 08:39 PM

From what I have been reading and hearing froma buddy in Winnipeg. The walleye fishing out there has been on a pretty steady decline the last 3 years, Good to see there are still some good fish!!

biggyJ 01-20-2018 08:55 PM

Heading to blue lakes area in the duck mountains come Easter.

About 20 lakes in the area to play on.

35 whelen 01-21-2018 07:06 AM

They have been smashing some real big ones this year :)

Poppa 01-22-2018 09:54 AM

and THIS is why I laughed so hard at the poster who talked about his "big" 2lb Walter about a month back.....lol. Albertans, you have no idea how ****ty the fishing is in this province until you see what they have available to them in MB/NW Ont. It's pretty ridiculous, and giant Peggy greenbacks are just one of the attractions. I'm headed back there at the end of March, when hardwater is really at its peak, and then back again in early June to take advantage of crazy topwater smallie action in the Nopiming PP...

Rumour 01-22-2018 10:05 AM

grew up fishing the red and lake Winnipeg,

windy but awesome!

average days of 30+ healthy fish and big honkers like that are pretty normal

The Spank 01-22-2018 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poppa (Post 3714459)
and THIS is why I laughed so hard at the poster who talked about his "big" 2lb Walter about a month back.....lol. Albertans, you have no idea how ****ty the fishing is in this province until you see what they have available to them in MB/NW Ont. It's pretty ridiculous, and giant Peggy greenbacks are just one of the attractions. I'm headed back there at the end of March, when hardwater is really at its peak, and then back again in early June to take advantage of crazy topwater smallie action in the Nopiming PP...

Well I wouldn’t laugh at him for his two pounder. It was obviously a “trophy” in his eyes. The sad part about AB walleye from what I read on here is the poor management by fisheries in dealing with a pressured fishery and the mindset by Alberta fisheries that walleye are some mythical rare god like fish and they seem to have persuaded the average AB angler to buy into this mindest to the point of accepting a tag allocation system to harvest a few fish. Absolutely blows my mind!

35 whelen 01-22-2018 10:23 AM

Grew up there 2 fishing the red River and netley Marsh go back every other year to the Winnipeg River in the summer first time back in 30 years fishing ice fishing for greenbacks though can't wait

35 whelen 01-22-2018 10:39 AM

Quote:

Gotta love those Bronzebacks ,not much better than:) top water smallies

Poppa 01-22-2018 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 35 whelen (Post 3714500)
Gotta love those Bronzebacks ,not much better than:) top water smallies

...Best fishing there is!! :)

trophyhunter 01-22-2018 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poppa (Post 3714651)
...Best fishing there is!! :)

Love the top water smash! My fav was the skitter Pop [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35 whelen 01-22-2018 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trophyhunter (Post 3714739)
Love the top water smash! My fav was the skitter Pop [emoji16]

My favorite is always the baby torpedo

The Spank 01-22-2018 06:06 PM

I like the Rapala Skitter Pop, smallies and bucketmouths eat it right up. Topwater is an absolute blast!

trophyhunter 01-22-2018 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 35 whelen (Post 3714744)
My favorite is always the baby torpedo

I’ve tried a few of the Heddon lures, will have to check out those. Which patterns were your fav’s?

comaderek 01-23-2018 09:21 AM

If you are heading to Lake Winnipeg this spring stop and fish Lake Dauphin.
Not many 30+ but a lot of 19 to 24s.

BootScoot 01-23-2018 09:33 AM

Quote:

Unfortunately, this true....luckily, the great hunting in Alberta makes up for the lousy fishing

35 whelen 01-23-2018 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BootScoot (Post 3715092)
Unfortunately, this true....luckily, the great hunting in Alberta makes up for the lousy fishing

YES ,but the older I get I wish we had better lakes and fishing here ,O well its only 13 hrs drive to Manitoba ,

35 whelen 01-23-2018 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trophyhunter (Post 3714840)
I’ve tried a few of the Heddon lures, will have to check out those. Which patterns were your fav’s?

This pattern tiny torpedoeshttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...29c5797dea.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...55db9eb69f.jpg

gtr 01-23-2018 12:11 PM

No fish here. Nothing to see.LOL

Poppa 01-23-2018 12:53 PM

ah man, I have so much to contribute to this thread.....ha ha...

1) Topwater: I have had so much success with Matzuo poppers in the Nopiming. Something about the way the mouth is carved, and the "action" that creates on the top...irresistible to Nop smallies! However, we got a tip about how to use Heddon Zara Spook "Super Spook Junior"'s, so we're giving them a run in June up at Tooth Lake in the Nop...I am over-the-moon excited for this right now...

2) Dauphin Lake in spring....I spent 4 years there working at the radio station and Lake Dauphin is one of the most underrated bodies of water in the whole province. Their walleye fishery is deadly. Also awesome is the Waterhen River up that way.....I'm one of the few that's a big fan of Silver Bass (Freshwater Drum) fishing, and they've got some TANKS up there....

3) AB fishing.....if you're into fly fishing for trout, this is certainly world-class. People come from (quite literally) all over the world to fly fish here. Mad respect for this. But where Manitoba/NW Ont (Sunset Country) shines is the diversity of fish. We have all the great trout opportunities that you have here (the Parkland/Duck Mountains plays host to the World Fly Fishing Championships) plus massive sturgeon, pike, walleye, perch, both smallmouth and some populations of largemouth bass, silver (drum) and white bass, goldeye/mooneye, some of the world's largest catfish, carp, bullhead.....and so many others that I'm not even thinking of right now....it's just beyond deadly.

comaderek 01-23-2018 01:20 PM

Lake Dauphin in March is a great family fishing day. Leave electronics at home since your fishing 3 1/2 feet of water under ice.
Set up rods on holders with live minnows and really you can just play with the kids and wait for the walleye to bite.
Rod bends mad dash to the hole first one there gets to reel it in.
Pike, perch, walleye and burbot.
40 inch Pike can be caught.
If you go I advise you to stop in at Sticky's Bait and Tackle attached to the Coop Gas Bar and they will tell you where the hot spots are and how to get there.
And I don't work at Sticky's just heard good things about he and his staff.

P.S. Don't forget to stop and buy some fresh home made perogies and garlic sausage to fry up on the lake.

Note: I would advise not waiting until the last week of March to go as ice has been getting sketchy lately that late in the year. I would say mid March is safer.

Poppa 01-23-2018 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comaderek (Post 3715233)
If you go I advise you to stop in at Sticky's Bait and Tackle attached to the Coop Gas Bar and they will tell you where the hot spots are and how to get there.

Dave "Sticky" Stockotelny is a beaut....a guide that knows every inch of that lake!

Jigger 01-23-2018 03:30 PM

Ive gotta say if you can't catch trophy fish in Alberta, without 100,000 lakes maybe its the anglers problem lol plenty of lunkers here if you know how to hunt em just sayin...

comaderek 01-23-2018 03:56 PM

Without a doubt there is probably good fishing spots in Alberta.
I think we have been spoiled by our fishing in Manitoba.
Live in Winnipeg. Lake Winnipeg 30 minutes away where you can land those 30 inch
Walleye through the ice. Drive 20 minutes to Lockport land 30 to 40 inch catfish until your arm gets sore in the summer.
All I was saving there maybe even better places to go on your way to Lake Winnipeg for the greenbacks that you don't have to fly in to or drive 8 hours.
And as someone has brought up don't bypass the Duck Mountains. Those are managed and stocked lakes that offer rainbow, brook, splake, lakers, walleye, pike etc etc.

So if you are an avid angler follow one of the transplanted Manitobans in your province back to their home stomping grounds and come try it out for yourself.

guru fisher 01-23-2018 04:02 PM

What are greenbacks? Are they big ? Catch lots of them ?