Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Help with Aimpoint (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=332918)

260 Rem 11-06-2017 03:49 PM

Help with Aimpoint

Purchased this T1 about 3 years ago ...decided to change battery, and can not remove the battery cap. I have contacted Aimpoint but no reply yet. Looks like the battery cap is either cross threaded or perhaps the O-ring has slipped into the threads...but whatever, is frozen solid. I have tried with vise grips over tape on the outer ring (but need to be real careful not to distort), and a coin in the slot with a wrench. No Luck. I am thinking a hose clamp on the outer ring might help a bit, but.... any suggestions?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...7e0cb3df0e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...e3bde5f166.jpg

Rancid Crabtree 11-06-2017 06:42 PM

If your able to get a replacement cap it may be best to split the cap. Forcing it to unscrew could pile up the threads and ruin the housing.
Slot the top of cap thru with a hacksaw blade. Then use die grinder to groove the sides just shy of hitting the threads. Then use a chisel in the hacksaw groove to separate the halves.

260 Rem 11-06-2017 07:04 PM

I see Brownells sells replacement caps ... maybe mine is not an exception? Problem is that Brownells will not ship that item to Canada which complicates things.

Rancid Crabtree 11-06-2017 08:15 PM

There are ways to apply more torque without distorting like the vise grip will. But being such soft material it's likely to gall and tear the threads off the housing. Also using some heat could increase the clearances but again probably not much chance of success with soft metals.
I expect the combination of electric current and moisture has corroded the threads together.

I'd try to get a replacement cap and cut the old one apart because you will likely be able to save the housing.

Sashi 11-06-2017 08:18 PM

You could try to heat the cap.

260 Rem 11-06-2017 09:02 PM

I tried some heat with wife’s hair dryer but chickened out. I am not going to get too aggressive until I hear back from Aimpoint. If there is a Canadian service spot, I will send it for “repair” after I hunt with it ... still works fine and the battery is supposed to be good for 50,000 run hours. I just would feel more confident changing to a new battery.

JD848 11-06-2017 09:08 PM

If you can get a hose clamp taped inside so you don't scratch it around your rotary switch or tape the rotary switch and tighten the clamp till it gets solid ,then you won't tear it apart while trying to unscrew the cap making it more solid so you can put out a bit more power on the top screw cap.Find some thing like a silver dollar that fits snug in your slot so you don't strip it and snap the end of the vise grip as tight as you can on the twist nut on the hose clamp,don't go crazy on the pressure and use another set of vise grips to snap onto what ever fits tight in your slot.It has to be even level pressure as you turn so you don't bust your rotary switch, I don't want you to reck your scope so this is just a thought that may work. When you tighten the clamp make sure it makes even contact 360 degrees around the rotary switch so not to bend anything.The clamp sides maybe to wide touching the cap so this may not work.Don't start cutting things until you hear from aimpoint or send it to them for the work .GOOD LUCK

mgvande 11-07-2017 06:26 AM

I'm going to lube my oring. I don't want this trouble.

fps plus 11-07-2017 07:16 AM

Take a clothes iron and hold it against cap until cap is warm to touch , gently tap cap with non marring hammer ( nylon) and remove

Sashi 11-07-2017 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fps plus (Post 3661949)
Take a clothes iron and hold it against cap until cap is warm to touch , gently tap cap with non marring hammer ( nylon) and remove

X2

260 Rem 11-07-2017 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgvande (Post 3661933)
I'm going to lube my oring. I don't want this trouble.

Or even turn the cap once a year. Since I have never had the cap off before, I am suspicious that the issue could be related to the O-ring gumming up the threads?

mgvande 11-07-2017 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 260 Rem (Post 3662053)
Or even turn the cap once a year. Since I have never had the cap off before, I am suspicious that the issue could be related to the O-ring gumming up the threads?

So you can't even turn the dial to change the intensity of the light? Or just the battery cap?

Sashi 11-07-2017 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 260 Rem (Post 3662053)

It's probably aluminum on aluminum galling, threads require good lubrication to prevent this.

260 Rem 11-07-2017 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgvande (Post 3662135)
So you can't even turn the dial to change the intensity of the light? Or just the battery cap?

Intensity setting moves fine...function is fine. I shot it this AM. All is well, just can't change the battery.

260 Rem 11-07-2017 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sashi (Post 3662139)
It's probably aluminum on aluminum galling, threads require good lubrication to prevent this.

I do believe all those parts are aluminum.

qwert 11-07-2017 01:52 PM

As Rancid Crabtree suggests, I suspect your bare aluminum threads have seized due to several combined corrosive effects, and that the soft aluminum could be easily damaged by wrench distortion and high torque.
There may also be rough machining or debris from manufacture.
I see no cap O-ring seal on the drawing posted, (but a gasket or O-ring could be installed on the cap assembly).

As fps plus suggests, using a cloths iron or similar to heat only the cap with direct contact can expand the cap with less heating (and expansion) of the housing.
Speed and timing are critical as you need to catch the cap expanded before it conducts heat to the housing.
Multiple heating and full cooling cycles and tapping with a nylon hammer may be needed.
If penetrating oil (I use ER gun oil, Dexron/kerosene 50/50) is applied to the cap & housing junction after heating, it may be drawn into the threads as they cool, and subsequent heating & cooling cycles (and time) may also help to further distribute the lubricant.
Be patient, several heating cycles may be required, do not get in a hurry and apply destructive force.
I suspect when it finally releases it will be little more than finger tight.

Thread lubrication and anti-seize compounds are a thread’s best friend.
‘I use that stuff on everything.’

http://www.neverseezproducts.com/antiseize.htm

http://bostik-industrial.com/never-s...ing-compounds/

“Resists galvanic action”
“Prevents galling (friction welding)”
“Protects against corrosion”

I prefer any of the grey or copper anti-seize compounds, but IMHE any grease is better than dry threads.

Good Luck, YMMV.

Dave P 11-07-2017 02:11 PM

Could always take it to an AimPoint dealer and see about a warranty replacement?? Or let them try and take it off for you and if they damage they can replace

Sashi 11-07-2017 02:41 PM

All Stop

It looks from the diagram like the threads in the cap are male and not female, which means you have to cool the cover, and heat the body of the threaded portion.

260 Rem 11-07-2017 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave P (Post 3662233)
Could always take it to an AimPoint dealer and see about a warranty replacement?? Or let them try and take it off for you and if they damage they can replace

Am waiting to find out who services Aimpoint in Canada. Waiting for reply from Aimpoint on the Sweede side and DS Tactical here in Canada (point of purchase) to get info regarding who might service here. Anybody know a CDN service center?

260 Rem 11-07-2017 03:29 PM

This is getting interesting. DS Tactical (point of purchase) no longer deals with AP. Nor does MilArm. Did get on track through Red Deer Shooting Center who referred me to M. D. Charlton whom I understand is the CDN importer. I hope to get through to them soon for advice regarding resolution. Must say, that the chap I spoke with at RDSC gave me confidence they would help if I run into contact issues. I have decided not to “force” the issue as I think AP has a lifetime warranty which I could void by buggering things.

cbc_anderson 11-07-2017 03:55 PM

I know this won't feel very satisfying, but f you don't have luck with the service center, you do have 50,000 hours of continuous use battery life with the Aimpoint. Maybe you just leave it, vs. the risk of destroying the sight?

elkhunter11 11-07-2017 04:03 PM

You could try to drip a little Kroil at the cap seam and hope that it soaks into the threads.

260 Rem 11-07-2017 04:07 PM

No chance of me buggering the unit ... I have decided it needs the attention of the professionals. Yes, it would probably work for years to come but I may as well get it looked at after I hunt with it in mid Nov. At some point it will need a battery.
Good news so far is that the importer (MD Charlton) has a contact/dealer in Saskatchewan whom I called and is getting back to me with recommendation.

Nester 11-07-2017 06:48 PM

Tag for interest.

Own a few Aimpoints...

260 Rem 11-08-2017 03:06 PM

Heard back from the AimPoint rep in Saskatchewan who presented the issue to the Dealer Manager at M. D. Charlton in Mississauga, Ont. who suggested to “try harder” ...and “if that doesn’t work, have him send it to us and we can get it fixed”. So, I am going to send it as soon as I am done hunting. Will post results of that experience in due course.

260 Rem 12-03-2017 03:41 PM

Update:: Finished hunting and mailed the unit to MD Charlton in Ontario on Nov 24. Nine days later, it is back with me ... repaired and new battery installed with no charge to me. The issue was “cross threaded”, they removed the cap, cleaned up the threads and replaced the battery. Can’t ask for better service than that provided by Aimpoint and their Canadian rep, MD Charlton.