Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Insta pot (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=336771)

kinwahkly 01-06-2018 09:25 PM

Insta pot

Any body have any reviews ? Thinking of getting one .

saddleup 01-06-2018 09:28 PM

I think u have to wait till july 1 when they legalize it... :sHa_shakeshout:

Huntsman 01-06-2018 09:31 PM

Love it! Bought at Best Buy in South Edmonton Common the last week b4 Xmas
So far;
elk roast
Moose stew
Cheesecake *to die for*. Wife made it twice so far :D
Roast beef
Baked Beans
Greek style chicken breast

We got the 10 on 1 which will do yogurt and cakes.

Huntsman 01-06-2018 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saddleup (Post 3704134)
I think u have to wait till july 1 when they legalize it... :sHa_shakeshout:

Lol. Huntsman likes this ^

spurly 01-06-2018 09:37 PM

Instant pot

They are a fantastic item.

Attilathecanuk 01-06-2018 09:46 PM

My housedragon got one at xmas and it is great! Half the cooking time for anything you can imagine and it tastes great. We are gonna try chicks wings tomorrow

vinny 01-06-2018 09:50 PM

All good!

Battle Rat 01-06-2018 09:52 PM

Really happy with how moose roasts and turning out using it.
Way better than regular roasting or crock pot.

spurly 01-06-2018 09:56 PM

Instant pot

Tons of recipes on the net.
We did the 9 minute spaghetti, so simple but so good.
Hard boiled eggs 3 min.
Pork spareribs, 25 min.

calgarygringo 01-06-2018 10:15 PM

We picked one up from Amazon on their Black Friday sale and the wife uses it almost every day. She has cooked a roast, chicken, veggies and other stuff I am not even sure what it was. Everything is quick, juicy and this thing cleans up in a snap as that is my part.
Great if you work and don't have a ton of time to cook meals or just want things to real yummy. One of better $90 purchases.

Termender 01-06-2018 10:24 PM

What's the difference between it and a normal pressure cooker?

WHMS 01-06-2018 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huntsman (Post 3704141)
Love it! Bought at Best Buy in South Edmonton Common the last week b4 Xmas
So far;
elk roast
Moose stew
Cheesecake *to die for*. Wife made it twice so far :D
Roast beef
Baked Beans
Greek style chicken breast

We got the 10 on 1 which will do yogurt and cakes.

Tell me more about this cheesecake?!

We use ours all the time; soups, stews, ribs..... Love it!

Huntsman 01-06-2018 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHMS (Post 3704177)
Tell me more about this cheesecake?!

We use ours all the time; soups, stews, ribs..... Love it!

Ill ask the Mrs in the morning ;)

troutbug 01-06-2018 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Termender (Post 3704176)

More safety features. Has digital settings, timer etc

fordtruckin 01-06-2018 11:06 PM

Definitely not what I was expecting when I opened this three. I was thinking something a little greener and skunky smelling.

slough shark 01-07-2018 12:48 AM

Wife got one a few weeks ago, she has been using it a fair bit, check back in a few months whether or not the level of usage continues to be used all the time or wears off because it's no longer a novelty

crazy_davey 01-07-2018 01:03 AM

Heard lots of good things from family and friends over the holidays. Thinking of getting one soon. Interested in hearing more about others thoughts.

troutbug 01-07-2018 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy_davey (Post 3704234)
Heard lots of good things from family and friends over the holidays. Thinking of getting one soon. Interested in hearing more about others thoughts.

I was skeptical as I never liked pressure cookers. To many horror stories. The instapot has a few safety features that make it so if something happens its 99.9% user error.

There are a few stories going around where people are blaming instapots for incidents but those have been squashed as it was knock off units or people doing things like not bleeding pressure and forcing the lid open.

My wife has done ribs, pork and beef roasts, chicken. All came out tender and cooked amazingly fast.

It cant compare to my smoked meats but its pretty tasty and quick meals

meandmyboy 01-07-2018 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Termender (Post 3704176)

What troutbug said, also its not just a pressure cooker. 8 to 10 other different functions depending on the model. There is also a few different sizes around. She said she wish she went bigger!!! I laughed :argue2:
She says it works good! Food has tasted great.

Spidey 01-07-2018 08:37 AM

We just got one and so far all I've tried is pork side ribs. For a cheaper cut of ribs, they were fall-off-the-bone amazing. The only additional thing I did was finish them under the broiler with BBQ sauce to give them a bit of a crisp finish. Next time, I might finish them in the smoker.

horsepower 01-07-2018 08:44 AM

My wife bought me the 6qt a few years ago and I enjoyed using it so much I just added the 8qt model. Roasts are fast, wings are quick and easy, ribs fall off the bone and very simple to use. The slow cooker function makes soups and stew a snap and it has 3 levels of heat. I have not used the rice cooker as we have one. Did steam a Christmas pudding for the first time and turned out fantastic.

I have many other older pressure cookers/canners (all american) that are used for cooking in bulk but I prefer now to use the instant pot. The digital aspect makes cooking very easy. If your cook time is 8 hours and you are gone for 10, set the delay for 2 hours and it is ready for when you return. If you are a bit late, not to worry as the automatic warmer function follows a cooking cycle keeping things piping hot until you are ready.

I am a fan.

10aciousB 01-07-2018 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinwahkly (Post 3704133)
Any body have any reviews ? Thinking of getting one .

My girlfriend got one for Christmas and the thing hasn't had a chance to cool off since. She absolutely loves it, and I'm loving all the delicious meals that come out of it. I say go for it! I don't think you'll be disappointed at all.

philintheblank 01-07-2018 09:32 AM

anything that makes the better halfs do more cooking is a good thing. mine has been cooking non stop since she got it. they are awesome

Jays toyz 01-07-2018 09:37 AM

Loving mine. 3 lb frozen deer roast done in 90 minutes, the accompanying spuds and carrots, an additional 4 minutes. Gravy made in the same pot. So good and fast. Basmati rice took 3 minutes...

Donkey Oatey 01-07-2018 09:44 AM

Love our instant pot. Use it all the time. Best thing about it is it can cook from frozen. Frozen chicken breasts from counter to plate in about 45 min.

Also like that you can brown in it. We use it 3 to 4 times a week. Especially good when both work and don't have a lot of time to prep for supper. Little over an hour for a roast that is awesome.

Gray Wolf 01-07-2018 02:56 PM

Meh

Basically it's really just a programmable pressure cooker with a few extra bells & whistles. With the stupidly ridiculous price they charge for them, I'll definitely pass! Besides, we got more than enough bloody appliances clustering up our countertops already.

Barnum said it best - https://lonewolfsaga.files.wordpress...pg?w=405&h=506

TomP 01-07-2018 03:11 PM

They are awesome. Got my wife one for Xmas and she uses it steady..roasts are done very fast and taste great. We also got an acti-fry which I think is the best appliance in our house...chicken wings cooked from frozen in 20 minutes..no flipping or turning it does it all. We like food in our house if you can't tell haha

covey ridge 01-07-2018 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troutbug (Post 3704189)
More safety features. Has digital settings, timer etc

So is this the cooker that can both pressure cook and slow cook and everything in between?

troutbug 01-07-2018 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by covey ridge (Post 3704532)
So is this the cooker that can both pressure cook and slow cook and everything in between?

Yes, it won me over and I love it.

covey ridge 01-07-2018 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troutbug (Post 3704540)
Yes, it won me over and I love it.

Must be something to it. I am into bone broth and every time I mention it I get asked if I use an insta pot:)