Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Safely handling catch n release fish? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=176772)

MtnGiant 04-28-2013 02:43 PM

Safely handling catch n release fish?

What precautions do you take to reduce a fishes mortality when practicing catch n release?

Example topics;

Play time to decrease lactic acid build up?

Removing the hook while the fish is in the water?

Do not put fingers in the gills?

ETC.....

BeeGuy 04-28-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtngiant (Post 1948264)
What precautions do you take to increase a fishes mortality when practicing catch n release?

Example topics;

Play time to decrease lactic acid build up?

Removing the hook while the fish is in the water?

Do not put fingers in the gills?

ETC.....

what I think you mean is "reduce fish mortality"

1. use a net that is as big as is reasonable.

2. have needle nose pliers at hand.

pikergolf 04-28-2013 02:56 PM

Best of my ability, try and not touch the fish, fairly easy with a fly. Land fish as quickly as possible, I revive fish before a photo so if he squirms free he's good to go. Keep them out of the water as little as possible, I will keep in net while getting photo gear ready. Have recently updated that to having the camera in my pocket ready to go.

I read somewhere that a person should hold their breath for as long as a fish is out of water, probably not quit accurate, but I think it makes a great rule of thumb. In my mind 30 seconds is to long.

MtnGiant 04-28-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeeGuy (Post 1948274)
what I think you mean is "reduce fish mortality"

1. use a net that is as big as is reasonable.

2. have needle nose pliers at hand.

Magico....change done...thanks :)

mooseknuckle 04-28-2013 03:14 PM

Just like the pros on tv. With big fish I caress and massage them and be as careful as possible!! With the smaller ones I just throw of toss in with zero concern.

MtnGiant 04-28-2013 03:18 PM

I've seen on "The New Flyfisher" that turning the fish belly up to remove the hook stops the fish from moving.
Does anyone practice this?

catchandeat 04-28-2013 03:20 PM

I use barbed hooks to reduce mortality :bad_boys_20: kidding, but as others said, I try to keep the fish in water as much as possible, try not to squeeze the fish when taking the hook out, revive the fish instead of just chucking it back in like a bass, and try not to drag it up on shore if it all possible. (i'll be honest, done that quite a bit!)

fishpro 04-28-2013 03:45 PM

I try to fight the fish as quick as possible, then keep the fish in the water (either laying in a net or with my hand on its tail. This way it's reviving while you unhook it.

When taking pictures I try to follow the rule that if you can't see water dripping off the fish in the picture then you've had it out of the water for too long.

Bhflyfisher 04-28-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishpro (Post 1948330)
I try to fight the fish as quick as possible, then keep the fish in the water (either laying in a net or with my hand on its tail. This way it's reviving while you unhook it.

When taking pictures I try to follow the rule that if you can't see water dripping off the fish in the picture then you've had it out of the water for too long.

x2 If there is no water dripping off your fish, you've had it out of the water for too long.

As for catch and release, Usually with flies i can just pop the fly out with my fingers easily, otherwise i have a pair of forceps ready for the very rare case that they are needed.

ALSO, what i have witnessed in person with friends, and in pictures, if the fish wont hold still for a picture, do NOT force it to just for your glory shot. Squeezing a fish that hard causes serious damage.

One more thing i can not harp on enough, keep your fingers away from the damn gills if you have no intention on keeping the fish.

Flieguy 04-28-2013 05:02 PM

1-use a rubber net

2-DO NOT have bug spray on your hands when touching fish, wet your hands before you touch a fish

3-DO NOT put the fish on dry grass, sharp rocks, or anything else that could remove it's protective slime layer

4-hold large trout horizontally, not vertically

Jimboy 04-28-2013 11:03 PM

l catchum and releaseum in the fryin pan:thinking-006:

billycap 04-28-2013 11:44 PM

Use heavy line with little drag... I don't use a net but rarely take a fish out of the water to unhook it. I use locking medical style pliers(also good for clamping an arteri if that kind of situation should arise) gill touching is a touchy subject around here... There is a sweet spot but don't go trying to learn it on fish u plan to release. I use the under the jaw lift rather than the head grab (if possible) when ice fishing but never when stream or river fishing as there is no need. A fish fight should last no more than a minute... Two if it's a beast. Any longer and u are just bringing unessasary roughness to your opponent. If u have caught something worthy of holding for a pic try and crouch as low and close to the water as possible as they are slippery as dog snot and there is nothing worse than the sound of a lunker hitting the dirt after it sprung from your grasp.. Then trying to release a mostly dead fish leaves a feeling of defeat rather than victory.

Happy hunting

chriscosta 04-28-2013 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtngiant (Post 1948298)
I've seen on "The New Flyfisher" that turning the fish belly up to remove the hook stops the fish from moving.
Does anyone practice this?

after getting a giant rapala stuck bad in my hand while still attached to a rowdy jack i sure do lol it works awesome the fish litteraly stays perfectly still every time for whatever reason and since then ive had no problems releasing fish fast idk how good it is for the fish but its great on my hands lol