Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Trapping Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Coyotes (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=304483)

Gboe8 10-12-2016 01:50 PM

Coyotes

What's the date every one is planning on starting to put the traps down for coyotes? And what is ever ones goals for numbers this year?

I've got all my bait lined up permission ready to roll. Can't wait to start hanging snares. The coyotes look great in my area. Think I'm going to start around the 25th which I did last year and still did well on my dogs.

Redneck 7 10-12-2016 01:58 PM

I am finally settled in my new cabin I bought. Driving home last night after work made me realize I should go get permission and snare yotes since winter will be quite when I'm not out calling/ shooting them. I got my goal set at 20 dogs, I'm sure I could get more but I'm just starting to get into it, last year at a bait I think I got 5. See what happens, but 20 seems doable for not having a bait set up.

coyote_man 10-12-2016 04:24 PM

Still a bit of blue but the fur is coming nice.This is down south.

HunterDave 10-12-2016 08:10 PM

My goal is to snare 100 coyotes. I usually start when they prime about November 15 but I think that I may start a week or two earlier this year. They are forecasting a lot of snow in January and February and the last time that happened the coyotes were traveling on plowed county roads rather than the fields and bush. Things really slowed down with the deep snow. I'm thinking that it might be a good idea to get as much snaring in as possible before January. I'm not 100% sure yet.

nube 10-12-2016 10:26 PM

Shooting for 500 this year. 4 in the bank already.....
I think I will learn to hate coyotes after this year

H380 10-13-2016 07:05 AM

I usually wait until after deer season ,{Dec 1} but this year I will start about mid Nov as one area I snare is hard to get into much later than that .I deer hunt this area and can check the area daily and I also figure that even tho they might be a touch early I might just as well have these dogs as the other hunters .

spot and stock 10-13-2016 08:59 AM

Few shot coyotes in the freezer already. Ill skin in the next few days and let you guys know. Definitely not great on the fur side yet but not bad either..

Don't plan on setting any tackle until November. But The ones sniffing around the yard are fair game now I'd say.

Thunder/FX 10-13-2016 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HunterDave (Post 3356128)
My goal is to snare 100 coyotes. I usually start when they prime about November 15 but I think that I may start a week or two earlier this year. They are forecasting a lot of snow in January and February and the last time that happened the coyotes were traveling on plowed county roads rather than the fields and bush. Things really slowed down with the deep snow. I'm thinking that it might be a good idea to get as much snaring in as possible before January. I'm not 100% sure yet.

I am only planning on getting 1
(so Dave only gets 99!!!)
More may show up cuz I'm putting snares on county graders!!

(havin some fun with ya Dave!!!)

Big Grey Wolf 10-14-2016 09:32 AM

My guess is fur will move towards prime earlier this year with snow on ground in early October and colder weather. I always notice my horses get winter coats very quickly as soon as colder weather hits.

HunterDave 10-14-2016 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf (Post 3357473)
My guess is fur will move towards prime earlier this year with snow on ground in early October and colder weather. I always notice my horses get winter coats very quickly as soon as colder weather hits.

This was something that I wondered about to help me decide if I was going to start earlier this year so I did some checking. From what I found on the internet the weather/temperature does not determine when fur will prime. Like a lot of other things (ie. timing of ungulate ruts, rabbits/weasels turning white, etc), it's the amount of daylight that determines when they prime up. I guess that would explain why rabbits are the only white things that you see in the bush when we have very mild Fall weather like last year.

HunterDave 10-14-2016 02:41 PM

Keep me busy T-FX. I don't mind those 3 am nights in the shed. :)

Rockyhunter 10-14-2016 03:22 PM

From my tree stand last week while bow-hunting deer. There seem to be a lot of Coyotes around this year.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/i7...h=w953-h638-no

Bushmaster 10-14-2016 03:42 PM

Great pic Rocky !

I used to have an Alaskan Malmute dog....she would start growing her underhair/fur in Sept. It took a while to notice but she was already prepping for winter.

Gboe8 10-14-2016 05:39 PM

Well I was out pre baiting today. Don't like doing that but my meat scrap suppliers were on me to start picking up. All I can say is hopfully this snow slows down and or gets cold quick. It was beyond ugly out there. Didn't pick the best day but I couldn't even get into half my spots. Sure is exciting to get back out though again!

Jetlee 10-15-2016 09:47 AM

Coyote prime

Skinned a coyote last night. Still pretty blue in the peace country.

lead chucker 10-15-2016 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gboe8 (Post 3358003)
Well I was out pre baiting today. Don't like doing that but my meat scrap suppliers were on me to start picking up. All I can say is hopfully this snow slows down and or gets cold quick. It was beyond ugly out there. Didn't pick the best day but I couldn't even get into half my spots. Sure is exciting to get back out though again!

Why don't you like pre baiting. ?

Gboe8 10-15-2016 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lead chucker (Post 3358698)
Why don't you like pre baiting. ?

More gas money and work. Would rather put bait and traps out at the same time.

HunterDave 10-16-2016 11:04 PM

Having too much bait seems like a good problem to have. :)

The upside is that you'll have some nice trails to set on and not end up setting a bunch of snares where the coyotes aren't traveling. It could be a time saver for you.

spot and stock 10-17-2016 01:38 PM

skinned Saturday and early still for sure(blueish but thickening up). Hair side was fair. Felt good to tug on one though.

Dmedlicott1 10-20-2016 10:50 PM

Hoping to get out this weekend will up date if I find any.

Gboe8 10-20-2016 11:35 PM

Seting snares Monday. Setting five baits to start can't wait. Like a kid on Christmas.

tchardy1972 10-22-2016 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gboe8 (Post 3364048)
Seting snares Monday. Setting five baits to start can't wait. Like a kid on Christmas.

Still early here. Skin is still quite blue. We will wait a couple of weeks yet.

H380 10-22-2016 07:19 PM

SIL brought me one that he got trigger happy on so we skinned it . Decent but still not there yet . Couple weeks sounds about right .