Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Richards Microfit Review - 56k beware (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=14400)

Janitor Pants 04-20-2008 11:55 AM

Richards Microfit Review - 56k beware

Since we had this wonderful dump of snow this weekend, I stayed indoors and finally got around to getting my Richards Microfit stocks I had ordered on my rifles. For you non readers, the pictures are at the bottom.

First thoughts, they took forever to come, I ordered them in September of 2007 and did not actually receive them until the tail end of March 2008. They had told me they were behind when I had ordered them and to expect 2-3 months. When they phoned in March I was surprised, I had actually thought they had forgotten, and since they hadn't charged my credit card I didn't worry about it too much. On a side note, I did get these set up for a larger barrel and a flat fore stock bottom, but the wait did seem a little bit long. In the end, when they phoned me for my credit card number, as they had lost it, I kind of hinted that they had taken too long and I may not want them anymore. They responded in kind by knocking off $150.00 from my order, so basically the one stock was almost free, good on them for doing this for me.

Second thoughts, the forest green stock in the pictures below is on my Savage .17hmr, they gave me some part numbers for different screws and a trigger guard that I would need to order from Savage. I ordered these and they came within the week, costing me under $10 shipped, when I tried to use them on the stock they didn't even come close to working. What I ended up doing was using the stock trigger guard, and doing some minor dremel work on the trigger guard itself to get it to fit, not a big deal but I'm not sure why they told me to order a trigger guard that did not fit. Also, the way the designed the Savage stock I need to remove the action from the stock to remove the bolt, it simply will not clear the cheek rest. That is probably my biggest problem with their stock, although I'm not sure if that is something I should have known before ordering, perhaps having the bolt removable would have ruined the lines of the stock, I don't know. I would have preferred to have the bolt easier to remove.

Third thing, the finish was kind of poor, they were quite rough when they arrived and I had to spend quite a bit of time sanding them, they had specified on the website 99% finished, but I would put this somewhere closer to 80%. It took me probably 2 hours per gun with some sandpaper and blocks to get them how I wanted them before I stained them. Again not a huge deal, but not what they had advertised either.

Last thing, now that they are all together, the fit is excellent, they are quite comfortable and I love the way they look stained. They are both the tack driver silhouette model, in royal camo on my .17hmr and black and gray on my 10-22. If you don't mind a little bit of a project they are a good stock. I don't know if I would have been as pleased if I had ended up paying full price but for what I've got into them I am pleased, and they look pretty sharp too.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u...l/IMG_1432.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u...l/IMG_1433.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u...l/IMG_1436.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u...l/IMG_1438.jpg

gitrdun 04-20-2008 01:46 PM

Them are sexy :D It seems typical for south of the border stocks to take their time in arriving. I got one from Boyds and they didn't take as long as yours did. They screwed up and forgot about me, so I cancelled the order. They sent me the stock anyways...no charge. So how could I say anything bad about them? In all honesty thought, their stock was very well finished and did not take the finishing work that you described. My overall experience with Boyds was very good.

Janitor Pants 04-20-2008 02:08 PM

A buddy of mine picked up a boyd's stock for his 10/22 and it is pretty much identical to the one I picked up, but like you said, he probably only had about 15 minutes of sanding to do.

elnino54 04-20-2008 02:24 PM

I had order a stock from Richards as well, in March of 07. It didn't come by the end of hunting season so I figured the hell with it and refinished my existing stock myself. When I returned from vacation at the end of March this year, I had a letter from them explaining some of the issues they were having with the staff taking orders. Apparently my order was lost, buried or something and they wanted to know If I still wanted it. I tried to call them to say "no thanks" but all I got was an answering machine........so I gave up. In the end, the stock I ordered would have looked nice, but I'm really happy with the refinishing job I did myself.

Jason Balesdent 05-10-2008 10:00 PM

another stock option

Joel Russo ( jkrussos@comcast.net ) makes stocks, about 5 week delivery time, $285 - $385 and no problems shiping to Canada. If you E-mail him he will send you photos and prices.

rem721 11-10-2010 05:03 PM

stock

5 Attachment(s)
i just recived this stock for my remington 721,,, i was told it was exhibition grade carlo walnut just looking for input if it is or not,,Attachment 28770

Attachment 28771

Attachment 28772

Attachment 28773

Attachment 28774

gitrdun 11-11-2010 07:19 AM

That is a Claro Walnut, don't know that it could be called exibition grade although it is nice wood for sure. I've got to question the finish though, unless it's just your pictures.

Dean2 11-11-2010 07:34 AM

JP

Great post, thanks for taking the time.

To be fair to Richards, they advertise 99% inletted, not 99% finnished, meaning the action and barrel should fit the stock just about perfectly. How were your two for fit of the action and Barrel?

You bolt removal issue can be fixed by lowering the front of the comb (which I probably wouldn't do unless I wanted to lower the complete comb) or by using a rasp to put a groove in the top of it. Depending on how much more clearance you need, you could also look at tjust removing material from the very front drop part of the comb.

gitrdun

All of their stockks are unfinished and left very rough on purpose. Most users change the dimensions from some to quite a bit before finnishing them. They are intentionally large in the grip, comb and forend to allow them to fit large people and be trimmed down for smaller people.

rem721 11-11-2010 08:00 AM

The stock hasnt been sanded yet at all i just sprayed it lightly with water for the photos to see the pattern in the wood.. the stock was sold to me as a 96% inlet finish there will be some wood removal in the inlet in order for the action to fit.. my gunsmith is aware i have talked to him before i bought it to make sure he was up for the job.. im not sure if the stock will increase the value of the gun or not but who cares its not for sale. I just want a piece that i can hunt with and when i walk into the camp it will turn heads .. So this gun will be a working show piece not something hanging on the wall but something that will get scrathched over time wlking through the bush..

rem721 11-11-2010 08:22 AM

96% inlet finish by richards

4 Attachment(s)
Attachment 28789

Attachment 28790

Attachment 28791

Attachment 28792

all i know so far is that the screw holes are 7 1/2 inches apart i will let you know how it goes after i get it to my gun smith

gitrdun 11-11-2010 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rem721 (Post 731655)
The stock hasnt been sanded yet at all i just sprayed it lightly with water for the photos to see the pattern in the wood.. the stock was sold to me as a 96% inlet finish there will be some wood removal in the inlet in order for the action to fit.. my gunsmith is aware i have talked to him before i bought it to make sure he was up for the job.. im not sure if the stock will increase the value of the gun or not but who cares its not for sale. I just want a piece that i can hunt with and when i walk into the camp it will turn heads .. So this gun will be a working show piece not something hanging on the wall but something that will get scrathched over time wlking through the bush..

Ahhh!. Ok, I get it. What Dean says makes sense too. You're right, it'll be a head turner for sure. Can't wait to see it finished. Don't forget to share the pics.

rem721 04-14-2011 08:12 PM

finished product

8 Attachment(s)
ahhh its been a while but it finally finished so i will try and attatch some photosAttachment 34576

Attachment 34577

Attachment 34579

Attachment 34580

Attachment 34582

Attachment 34584

Attachment 34585

Attachment 34587

rem721 04-14-2011 08:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
couple more im not sure if you can see or not but the only issue we had was that the bolt hit the top off the cheek piece so my gunsmith notched a small channel at the top of it... im not overly happy about that , im not sure what to do, i may just get hime to remove wood on the top so it slide properly..
Attachment 34591

Attachment 34592

Attachment 34593

Dean2 04-15-2011 05:34 AM

Came out GREAT. You smith did well by you. My 2 cents - If it were me, I would leave the notch, removing the wood needed for the bolt to clear would mess with what are now very nive sculpted lines.

Albertacoyotecaller 04-15-2011 08:45 AM

Stocks

What company did this wood come from?

Greg

rem721 04-15-2011 11:07 AM

richards microfit in calif...... i was in the area so i went in and hand picked it and negotiated a price I have heard horor stories waiting for delivery, so i was luck walked in and walked out with the wood

rem721 04-15-2011 11:37 AM

my guns smith said he has never seen a piece of wood like that before , very unique.....